OT: Montreal Impact thread: Tha Isolated Market Of MLS... Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
ZBG had a brutal game. Henry is unreliable. I didn’t mind Cornelius though. He seems to be the steadiest presence on the back end.

Things looked much better with Kaye at LWB and Arfield in the middle. I’d keep hutchinson at CB for now as he’s our second best defender... sadly.

As much as Osorio is a little bitch, he creates a lot. David should always be starting imo with Davies and Cavallini. We were a different team when our best player were on the pitch.

Reactions: TRG

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
It's exactly what it is, he isn't stupid, he knows he'll face Mexico in the Semi, 3 D chess. That's why he approached the game with a weird lineup. That's why he made all 3 changes at the 60th, just to get a preview of what his lineup will look like. What we saw in the last 30 minutes is by far our best lineup minus Hoilett but if we face Mexico in the SF I think he'll play David up top instead of Cavalani and Hoilett as RW in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-1-1-3-1.

Now I understand the Atiba at CB expirement bc there's no way a player of his caliber should play at CB. He's probably Concacaf's best DM and it's not even close.
Except Herdman forgot one thing. His team's confidence. His silly experiment just destroyed it. And how will he get it back? By telling his whole squad, hey I went with my worst players.

As someone else said in this thread, he over-coached.

BTW, there's a post game interview with Herdman on TSN and he's saying exactly what you claim. We learned a lot about Mexico. They learned nothing about us.

I don't agree.

Last edited:

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Except Herdman forgot one thing. His team's confidence. His silly experiment just destroyed it. And how will he get it back? By telling his whole squad, hey I went with my worst players.

As someone else said in this thread, he over-coached.

BTW, there's a post game interview with Herdman on TSN and he's saying exactly what you claim. We learned a lot about Mexico. They learned nothing about us.

I don't agree.

The players know he's playing 3d chess and while they played the A formation the score was 1-1, couldve been 2-1, if anything I think this is a huge boost to their confidence not the opposite. We're playing better than ever

I do agree they know nothing about us, we never once played our best formation and remember Hoilett didn't play and we were handling Mexico just fine. His strategy now would be to win against Cuba and Costa using his C+ and B+ formation
ZBG had a brutal game. Henry is unreliable. I didn’t mind Cornelius though. He seems to be the steadiest presence on the back end.

Things looked much better with Kaye at LWB and Arfield in the middle. I’d keep hutchinson at CB for now as he’s our second best defender... sadly.

As much as Osorio is a little *****, he creates a lot. David should always be starting imo with Davies and Cavallini. We were a different team when our best player were on the pitch.

Idk what game you watched or maybe you were half asleep. Atiba at Cb is slow to react, he is exactly what we need in an anchor. Henry and Cornelius are just fine. As soon as Atiba moved as DM, we created about 3 chances in 10 minute span thanks to his interceptions and anticipation. Playing Atiba as CB is like playing Piatti as CM. You get about 40% of them. He may play again as Cb, but for important games no way he's there.

Kaye never played at LB, he was a CM, he only played Lb in a friendly agaainxt a small nation duh he would look good. Telbert was a Lb then Davies was re positioned as one, the former was awful ,the latter will only get better ( I always thought he was a lb or more of a wingback/LM).

Osorio is a needed player dude creates out of nothing, tremendous flair, something you can't teach

Last edited:

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
The players know he's playing 3d chess and while they played the A formation the score was 1-1, couldve been 2-1, if anything I think this is a huge boost to their confidence not the opposite. We're playing better than ever

I do agree they know nothing about us, we never once played our best formation and remember Hoilett didn't play and we were handling Mexico just fine. His strategy now would be to win against Cuba and Costa using his C+ and B+ formation
What are you telling me that video technology hasn't hit the Mexican shores yet?

cobrakai

May 20, 2010
What are you telling me that video technology hasn't hit the Mexican shores yet?
Agree with this. Strategy and tactics make up only a part of a team's success. In a tournament setting momentum and remaining in a winning mindset are far more valuable.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Agree with this. Strategy and tactics make up only a part of a team's success. In a tournament setting momentum and remaining in a winning mindset are far more valuable.
Same thing with the women's coach today, Heiner-Moller. He had them playing scared defensive football. I;m sick and tired of this strategy. I can understand using it when the opponents are offensively superior but this Canadian women's team can dribble, pass and out play that Dutch team. So instead of playing to his team's strengths he plays into the opposing team's strengths.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Videos of what? Teibert at LB, Johnson at DM? Sure go for it lol.

Halfy right but here is a little story.

River Plate - Boca Juniors 2 arch rivals. River were facing Boca Jrs March '18 for the supercopa. Gallardo (their coach) played some world class 3d chess.

Here's the game changer 15 games before that final (all league games) they won twice, 5 defeats, 8 losses, playing their C formation against mid-lower tier teams. He purposely threw away 15 games just to not reveal his plans and setup for the big game.

When they played the SuperCopa against Boca playing his A+ formation? They won 2-0

Moral to the story is it can go both ways if players know their coach is playing chess, it will only motivate them much more mentally when it comes to the real deal

cobrakai

May 20, 2010
Videos of what? Teibert at LB, Johnson at DM? Sure go for it lol.

Halfy right but here is a little story.

River Plate - Boca Juniors 2 arch rivals. River were facing Boca Jrs March '18 for the supercopa. Gallardo (their coach) played some world class 3d chess.

Here's the game changer 15 games before that final (all league games) they won twice, 5 defeats, 8 losses, playing their C formation against mid-lower tier teams. He purposely threw away 15 games just to not reveal his plans and setup for the big game.

When they played the SuperCopa against Boca playing his A+ formation? They won 2-0

Moral to the story is it can go both ways if players know their coach is playing chess, it will only motivate them much more mentally when it comes to the real deal
I agree during league play rotating your squad and resting players is necessary but in a tournament you need to get momentum, create chemistry and feel confident in how your team plays. As for River and Boca it's up to personal opinion how much of their victory can be attributed to the coach's gameplan. Whatever happens I think in these major tournaments the safest thing to do is to get your key players playing well together and to try and play positively in every game. We'll see what happens. Hopefully they can go on a nice run.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
I agree during league play rotating your squad and resting players is necessary but in a tournament you need to get momentum, create chemistry and feel confident in how your team plays. As for River and Boca it's up to personal opinion how much of their victory can be attributed to the coach's gameplan. Whatever happens I think in these major tournaments the safest thing to do is to get your key players playing well together and to try and play positively in every game. We'll see what happens. Hopefully they can go on a nice run.

Yeah I dont disagree at all with the momentum assessment, let's hope they display more positive games. If we get to the Semi I'm not expecting a win but an optimistic & honest performance in which after we can all say our nation improved big time.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
???

He did all his 3 subs before 60th. He did exactly what some of (Canadian fans) us said Davies at LB, Midfield of Arfield Atiba and Kaye with Osorio as advanced LW/CAM Cavallari CF David RW

I can see his plan was to bring on his best offensive weapons by the 60tj minute

That's straight up badass Herdman

His plan in my mind was to not reveal his hand, knowing the teams might face eachother later in the tournament.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Saw a clever photoshop on twitter today, but can't find it anymore.

It was representing Team Canada really well, the front was a Lamborghini, the mid-part was a corolla and the rear was a rusty old junk back of a car :laugh:

EDIT: I just found it

Borjan is really good, but the Canadian defense, yikes... That's the main reason why Atiba plays there in my book, because the central defenders are not up to par.

I have not seen the whole game yesterday, but from the last 30 or so minutes ZBG looked fine.

Last edited:

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009

It was representing Team Canada really well, the front was a Lamborghini, the mid-part was a corolla and the rear was a rusty old junk back of a car :laugh:

Borjan is really good, but the Canadian defense, yikes... That's the main reason why Atiba plays there in my book, because the central defenders are not up to par.

I have not seen the whole game yesterday, but from the last 30 or so minutes ZBG looked fine.

Really sad to say but zbg was the worst defender last night. Hopefully they give him a chance to rebound

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Everyone jumping on the defense sucks bandwagon... If you keep changing your backline every game for sure you'll suck.

Henry + Cornelius both MLS starters, upgrade from 2017 with Vitoria & Jakovic (MLS fringe players). Davies at LB, ZBG (rotation MLSer). HUGELY beneficial that both Henry and Cornelius play with the same club (for chemistry). Take advantage of that.

Mexico goals ; off a ZBG deflection, long shot from Principito where Borjan had no chance, and winning 1v1 with another deflection by Davies.

Why the defense looks shaky at times is because of the lack of friendly games. All a question of rhythm. Stick with the same backline for a dozen of games and you'll see how mysteriously they improved.

Atiba.is.not.a.cb. I don't get this weird fixation ppl on this board have, out all boards I read, you guys are literally the only people in the country who wants Atiba at Cb lol thinking number 6 would start lmao. He'll play against Cuba but Thank God he didn't play last night. Toldyall, neva wrong. Can't wait to see more of Fraser

Atiba is 95% gone after the tournament.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Wanting Atiba at CB is understandable, but saying Kaye should play at LB is Tier 1 moronic. Kaye LB will leave one of Teibert/Johnson CM. Kaye is our best #8 on par with Arfield.

It has been a hectic month of soccer w/ 3 tournaments. Sadly, I can't keep that same energy more months a year with this local so called team.....

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
Everyone jumping on the defense sucks bandwagon... If you keep changing your backline every game for sure you'll suck.

Henry + Cornelius both MLS starters, upgrade from 2017 with Vitoria & Jakovic (MLS fringe players). Davies at LB, ZBG (rotation MLSer). HUGELY beneficial that both Henry and Cornelius play with the same club (for chemistry). Take advantage of that.

Mexico goals ; off a ZBG deflection, long shot from Principito where Borjan had no chance, and winning 1v1 with another deflection by Davies.

Why the defense looks shaky at times is because of the lack of friendly games. All a question of rhythm. Stick with the same backline for a dozen of games and you'll see how mysteriously they improved.

Atiba.is.not.a.cb. I don't get this weird fixation ppl on this board have, out all boards I read, you guys are literally the only people in the country who wants Atiba at Cb lol thinking number 6 would start lmao. He'll play against Cuba but Thank God he didn't play last night. Toldyall, neva wrong. Can't wait to see more of Fraser

Atiba is 95% gone after the tournament.

It's pretty clear that the CBs are not even close to be as good as the rest of the lineup. The lack of friendlies certainly hurts, but IMO it's easier to learn to defend than to learn to attack as a group. Hopefully the younger crops of defenders develop into better solutions.

BeliveauFan4ever

Apr 10, 2006
Michigan 7 Texas Tech 3 in the 6th. :)

This college World Series game is going smoothly, too smoothly for Draft Day.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
88th minute Canada is down 2-0 to Costa Rica "but they know nothing about us for the next time."

Can we potentially play Costa Rica twice this tournament? :sarcasm:

My lineup against Cuba tmrw :

Osorio-Cavallini-Hoilett
Arfield
Piette-Okello
Davies-Henry-Cornelius-Godinho

Okello is that 6'5 DM taller than Marc Gasol & Bol Bol:laugh:, never saw him play but Wiki got very nice things to say about his style of play ...

Edit : If Henry isn't 100% play Miller, but that D-line need chemistry.
Millar for Osorio
Larin for Cavallini
Morgan for Davies

Maybe give Max a start.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->