OT: Montreal Impact Thread - CONCACAF'd

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
I enjoyed watching the game yesterday even if the team lost. Maybe I'll try to get into the Impact again this season.

Anyone want to give me a small breakdown of what I should know about the team and its roster?

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
Absolutely brutal decision by Henry to put Taïder so high up on the field. He wasn't just bad in the 1st half, he was a nuisance to the team.

I also wasn't a fan of seeing Urruti play in the axe so much. We have a big enough sample size to know that if he plays 9 or 10, he'll stink the bed. He's an attacking Right Winger that cuts in on high percentage scoring chances. That's it, that's all.

We will adapt from yesterday's game. With Bojan back and Orji starting, we will be in it to the very end.

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#10/03/20(ConcacafQuarter-FinalsGame1:Impact1-2Olimpia)

Diop(1/3)

Waterman/Fanni/Binks

ZBG(Okwonkwo)/Taider(1G)/Piette/Wanyama(1A+YellowCard)/Corrales

Urruti(AJH)/Quioto(Ballou)

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec
I enjoyed watching the game yesterday even if the team lost. Maybe I'll try to get into the Impact again this season.

Anyone want to give me a small breakdown of what I should know about the team and its roster?

Basically the team is at the start of rebuild. We just lost the best player in Franchise history that was making as much money as half the roster (and deservedly so). The team has a new President (Former Habs/Ducks/AEG in LA Marketing VP Kevin Gilmore), a new Technical Director (think GM) in Olivier Renard and a new coach in Thierry Henry. Renard has been acquiring and buying young players with potential, but the team lacks a true superstar/goalscorer and plans on buying young talent to flip them in a year or two aftewards for an interesting profit. Renard had his hands tied during the Winter transfer window because a lot of money was badly invested in some players (Camacho, Urruti, Bush, etc.), but we expect a lot from him this Summer when the International mercato opens. That's usually when you see the big talents come into the MLS because contracts end and teams worldwide are in the off-season (except MLS). The acquisition of Wanyama is really random but it solidifies the midfield. It could be quite a coup as he was the 5th most valuable player in MLS at the moment of his transfer and Renard got him for free (Tottenham kept a % of his rights).

Other than that, the Impact can't really compare with the best teams in the league because they spend less on transfers. They're a bubble team for the playoffs. But we love 'em anyway.

Last edited:

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Basically the team is at the start of rebuild. We just lost the best player in Franchise history that was making as much money as half the roster (and deservedly so). The team has a new President (Former Habs/Ducks/AEG in LA Marketing VP Kevin Gilmore), a new Technical Director (think GM) in Olivier Renard and a new coach in Thierry Henry. Renard has been acquiring and buying young players with potential, but the team lacks a true superstar/goalscorer and plans on buying young talent to flip them in a year or two aftewards for an interesting profit. Renard had his hands tied during the Winter transfer window because a lot of money was badly invested in some players (Camacho, Urruti, Bush, etc.), but we expect a lot from him this Summer when the International mercato opens. That's usually when you see the big talents come into the MLS because contracts end and teams worldwide are in the off-season (except MLS). The acquisition of Wanyama is really random but it solidifies the midfield. It could be quite a coup as he's the 5th most valuable player in MLS right now and Renard got him for free (Tottenham kept a % of his rights).

Other than that, the Impact can't really compare with the best teams in the league because they spend less on transfers. They're a bubble team for the playoffs. But we love 'em anyway.
Awesome. Thanks for the write-up!

Anyone on the roster I should really keep an eye on? Who is expected to be good this year? Down the line?

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Anyone on the roster I should really keep an eye on? Who is expected to be good this year? Down the line?

-Orji Okwonkwo, no idea what he is still doing in MLS but he is for sure gone in near future, in Bundesliga or Ligue 1. I was surprised he decided to come back.
-Lassi will become a Bologna regular in 1 or 2 year.
-Shamit Shome who is a mix of Schweinsteiger and Lampard especially in his runs and how he reads the game so well.
-Clement Spiderman Diop.

Most here will try to make you believe that ZBG is a good RB with potential, He is not. He is awful.

Players to watch this year are just Wanyama and Urruti imo. Bojan and Quioto can be entertaining.

Reactions: Le Tricolore

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

Lassi Lappalainen (left wing) was great last season. It's likely that he won't stay after this summer, he's on a loan from Bologna and he might crack the 18 lineup over there (depends on what they actually do in Bologna this summer I guess). (21yo)
Orji Okwonkwo (right wing) has been good so far this season and he had some good moments last year. (22 yo)
Luis Binks (CB) is only 18 and already on the starting lineup. While playing CB is no superstar shining moments, he's an interesting guy to follow. He could be sold in Europe at a high price in a few years!
Zachary Breault-Guillard (RB) is really good in the offensive zone but lacks a bit of a defensive side to his play (he's 21)

Then you have the mystery players, who knows how they'll perform:

Bojan, Quioto, Wanyama (and Taider)

It's probably the deepest roster that we've had in years but at the same time, we lack offense. We don't have a pure playmaker, dribbler or even someone able to take Free Kicks and Corner Kicks regularly. We also lack the pure finisher in front of the net, someone who could also bury headers (like Drogba was).

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
The acquisition of Wanyama is really random but it solidifies the midfield. It could be quite a coup as he's the 5th most valuable player in MLS right now and Renard got him for free (Tottenham kept a % of his rights).

Lol there is NO WAY Vic is 5th most valuable player in MLS. Montreal got him for free because he had a huge salary with Tottenham and spent more time in the nursing room and they already got 3 solid DMs. Called surplus requirement and all credit goes to TH not Renard whom Im sure he never heard of before.

He is probably the best DM or just on par with Giminez and Bradley in this league but Pavon, Pity Martinez, Rodolfo, Barco, Vela, Locadia and even Chicharito are worth so much more than Vic and Im missing a few more... Idk where you got that or who told you that lie but there is no way.

Reactions: JayKing

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
Lol there is NO WAY Vic is 5th most valuable player in MLS. Montreal got him for free because he had a huge salary with Tottenham and spent more time in the nursing room and they already got 3 solid DMs. Called surplus requirement and all credit goes to TH not Renard whom Im sure he never heard of before.

He is probably the best DM on par with Giminez and Bradley in this league but Pavon, Pity Martinez, Rodolfo, Barco, Vela, Locadia and even Chicharito are worth so much more than Vic and Im missing a few more... Idk where you got that or who told you that lie but there is no way.
its from transfermarkt bro, not just any source

www.transfermarkt.us/victor-wanyama-joins-montreal-impact-becomes-fifth-most-valuable-player-in-mls/view/news/356200

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012

Lmao and his market value dropped right after he joined Mtl. That was his value in Tottenham last year, my point still stands and Idk where to make the list of the most valuable players in MLS but I bet you anything he is not in top 5 as of today. Just makes no sense in this league stacked with very hot offensive prospects.

Still a great player and will become the best IMFC player in history.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad