Montreal Impact Thread 16.0 - The "Canadian Champions edition" Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markowicz

Simple Jacques
Feb 27, 2009
I dont understand why Smith isnt being played more often. He's clearly a player with all the tools to become a very good winger.

I actually think they should start playing him at fullback. i think Camara is out of position, and should be played at CB or in the hole. Smith seems to be very defensively aware, much more so than Romero at least.

Also i think Nesta needs more rest to be effective. Camara should be playing in place more often.

Pierre Dagenais

pissening
Jan 10, 2007
montreal
Nice! What kind of player is he? Offensive/defensive/both?

I also hope we sign another centre-back in this transfer window if Rivas is still injured

Campoozmstnz

May 27, 2013
What Scouts Say: "Good left defensive midfielder if you play with two… probably most complete player on UL, but one position guy, not versatile... Not going to the Combine… Trial in Frankfurt, Germany - Thinks he'll get drafted anyway… Very technical and tactically sharp… smartest player on the field - good awareness as a deep midfielder… good passer of the ball… definitely defends and covers a lot of ground - not overly athletic - competitive."

Riverside Habs Fan

Dec 23, 2006
Montreal
Cool they signed him. Good for depth. Don't see him getting much playing time this season though.... Although if the Midfield doesn't step it up soon he might find himself on the bench pretty fast.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Gershon Koffie for the Whitecaps is a heck of a player. Seen him before, but seeing him tonight against Seattle basically confirmed my thoughts. This dude is a machine at winning balls and moving the play forward. Basically a younger version of Bernier

Bud2790

Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Very entertaining 1st half in Vancouver. The play has been very open, resulting in great chances at both ends of the pitch. Great control and a nice cutback by Kenny Miller on his early goal. And Knighton has been a monster so far, he's the reason Vancouver is leading 1-0 at the half. I hope the 2nd half is just as good!

Dec 2, 2010
Gershon Koffie for the Whitecaps is a heck of a player. Seen him before, but seeing him tonight against Seattle basically confirmed my thoughts. This dude is a machine at winning balls and moving the play forward. Basically a younger version of Bernier
Much more agile and range-y, but yes a midfield general and he's really young. Should be in lower level Europe soon.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Great game overall. Knighton named man of the match, very well deserved.

Ur avatar is mind****ing me. I swear it looks like Blake is just doing the invisible chair and you turned the picture upside down :laugh:

Knighton had a great game in a timely moment with the Whitecaps signing David Ousted.

Bud2790

Jun 2, 2009
Montreal
Ur avatar is mind****ing me. I swear it looks like Blake is just doing the invisible chair and you turned the picture upside down :laugh:

Knighton had a great game in a timely moment with the Whitecaps signing David Ousted.
He clearly made a statement with tonight's game.

Btw, I'm happy to see Neagle doing well in his return to Seattle.

gelu88

Sep 12, 2011
Brossard, QC
Much more agile and range-y, but yes a midfield general and he's really young. Should be in lower level Europe soon.

Perhaps. But given the rising quality of MLS these days, its worth asking: would a player be better off staying here than going to a lower tier european league?

Given both the quality of play, and networking/scouting opportunities, the top 2 levels of the big leagues would be obviously advantageous. As would the top level of a few other countries.

But is a player better off in the Dutch 2nd Division than he is here in MLS?

Only a few years ago certainly, but it seems like its becoming less and less clear every transfer period.

Dec 2, 2010
Perhaps. But given the rising quality of MLS these days, its worth asking: would a player be better off staying here than going to a lower tier european league?

Given both the quality of play, and networking/scouting opportunities, the top 2 levels of the big leagues would be obviously advantageous. As would the top level of a few other countries.

But is a player better off in the Dutch 2nd Division than he is here in MLS?

Only a few years ago certainly, but it seems like its becoming less and less clear every transfer period.
A weaker Ligue 1 or Eredivisie side would be better. Just the coaching and training would be better.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
A weaker Ligue 1 or Eredivisie side would be better. Just the coaching and training would be better.

Eredivise yes, Ligue 1 I'm not so sure. I'd rather play in the MLS than a Lower Ligue 1 side. I'd say that maybe coaching and experience wise Ligue 1 would be better, but for competition, facilities and stadiums, MLS would probably be better. Not to mention the crowds. Some stadiums in Europe, are like a mixture of Chivas USA's stadium with the Houston Dynamo's pitch :laugh:

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Not one Impact player named to the all-star game.. wow.

Missing one defender, which is Don Garber's "Commish pick". It has to be Matteo Ferrari IMO.

Also expect Marco Di Vaio & Jack Mac to be named on Subs with Bernier. Absolutely ridiculous that the best team and the MLS' Leading Scorer aren't even in the starting XI though. No clue how Wondo made it on the team.

EDIT: The Fan XI received the most votes at their respective positions from combined fan voting on three platforms – online at MLSsoccer.com, via text message, and via Twitter – and are not necessarily included on the game-day roster. MLS All-Star coach Peter Vermes will select the roster based on player availability and tactical considerations.

Last edited:

void

Jan 5, 2006
I'll be in the VIP section with my "insider" tonight. :laugh:

I'll let you guys know if I hear anything juicy. ;)

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
XI #IMFC vs @cdchivasusa | Perkins; Brovsky, Ferrari (C), Nesta, Camara; Romero, Warner, Felipe, Nyassi; Paponi, Di Vaio #IMFClive

Capitan Matteo :clap: .. Nyassi>Blake Smith?. I really hope its because they're trying to showcase him for an eventual trade, cause Smith deserved the start.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
NDS tore his achillies in a friendly game last week. Wow lmao. Hopefully that doesn't kill our recruiting power this summer! Get well soon NDS

Dec 2, 2010
Eredivise yes, Ligue 1 I'm not so sure. I'd rather play in the MLS than a Lower Ligue 1 side. I'd say that maybe coaching and experience wise Ligue 1 would be better, but for competition, facilities and stadiums, MLS would probably be better. Not to mention the crowds. Some stadiums in Europe, are like a mixture of Chivas USA's stadium with the Houston Dynamo's pitch :laugh:
Who cares about crowds and pitches when you're young and trying to make a name for yourself among the scouts. Look at Aubameyang as a very recent example, Forehead Gervinho (yes he's not all that), Song, Essien but they all made a name for themselves that way. You look at Lille, Bastia, etc who polished talent into high quality players.

Ligue 1 is a good development league. I'd argue that excluding the respective CL teams, Ligue 1 is better at developing than Eredivisie. Though the latter's teams have been catching up like Vitesse and Heerenveen.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
Who cares about crowds and pitches when you're young and trying to make a name for yourself among the scouts. Look at Aubameyang as a very recent example, Forehead Gervinho (yes he's not all that), Song, Essien but they all made a name for themselves that way. You look at Lille, Bastia, etc who polished talent into high quality players.

Ligue 1 is a good development league. I'd argue that excluding the respective CL teams, Ligue 1 is better at developing than Eredivisie. Though the latter's teams have been catching up like Vitesse and Heerenveen.

You do have a point there. :handclap:

The only thing I have to say is; Is it the MLS's fault? I personally beleive it could be just because of the prejudices EU scouts have on the MLS & the proximity within the European Region compared to the European-North American distance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad