Status
Not open for further replies.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Detroit gets Petry

Montreal get Soderblom

What in tarnation are you on, son?

A guy that's coming in as a rookie with top 9, probably top 6 potential, is currently the best forward on his SHL team in the postseason and was tied for 7th in SHL goalscoring?

for

A guy at the end of his career, 3 years 6.25 million per year that just had probably one of, if not the worst season of his career?

That is a bad move for Detroit.

Goldenhands

Slaf_The_Great
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2016
What in tarnation are you on, son?

A guy that's coming in as a rookie with top 9, probably top 6 potential, is currently the best forward on his SHL team in the postseason and was tied for 7th in SHL goalscoring?

for

A guy at the end of his career, 3 years 6.25 million per year that just had probably one of, if not the worst season of his career?

That is a bad move for Detroit.
I use this board for entertaining purpose only, as most of you should. Petry had 1 painful season only, after losing to the Stanley cup finale, after losing a bunch of veterans, through a painful pendemic and family situation. His value might be low right now, but the guy hasnt lost everything, he was a big part of our playoffs run success, only needs a fresh start on a new team.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I use this board for entertaining purpose only, as most of you should. Petry had 1 painful season only, after losing to the Stanley cup finale, after losing a bunch of veterans, through a painful pendemic and family situation. His value might be low right now, but the guy hasnt lost everything, he was a big part of our playoffs run success, only needs a fresh start on a new team.

He's also old and expensive. Petry has negative value right now and Montreal would have to add to move him, just like NYR had to pay to move Marc Staal.

ReHabs

Jan 18, 2022
He's also old and expensive. Petry has negative value right now and Montreal would have to add to move him, just like NYR had to pay to move Marc Staal.
I don't think Petry has negative value. I think if he was UFA last summer he'd get more or less this deal he has now. Look at Suter's deal with Dallas. If he was to be a UFA this summer he'd probably have a more deflated contract but this year is clearly a massive blip in an otherwise reliably productive career. He's had four straight 40-point seasons and last year he had 42 points in 55 games (that's 62 points in a 82 game season!).

The question is if it is a blip or the start of a slide. It is for this reason Montreal is willing to trade him for less than his "real" value. Top-3 dmen with playoff experience who can skate exceptionally well and produce points are worth more than "only" a 2nd round pick/B prospect.

The way I see it, to improperly use rudimentary algebra notation:

Jeff Petry = X
Un/certainty of Petry's future value = M = let's say... it's 0.8
Impact on buyer's cap structure = B
Immediate value of trade counterpart = Y

Y = MX + B

Is "[Prospect] worth an 80% chance that Petry will return to being a 6.25m player for the next three years"?

Is "[Prospect] worth a 50% chance that Petry will return to being a 6.25m player for the next three years"?

Given this (admittedly silly) paradigm I don't think he's negative value, I mean... he's coming off a 62-point pace season. Is he worth taking a chance on with this cap hit for a team that wants a top3 RD? I think so. Is it worth trading [X] for that contract? I also think there is some sorta fit somewhere, so I'm curious what it would be.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Detroit gets Petry

Montreal get Soderblom
The Habs were able to move all they had that was valuable. Toffoli, Chiarot, Lehkonen and Kulak. All to playoff contenders that wanted retention and a post season puzzle piece. Most of them pending free agency of some kind or Toffoli on a team solid.

And Habs moved none of what wasn’t valued by the league. Gallagher, Drouin, Hoffman, Price and Petry.

Petry gets dumped this summer for a return that looks like a 6th round pick.

Last edited:

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
He's had four straight 40-point seasons and last year he had 42 points in 55 games (that's 62 points in a 82 game season!).

No it's not. That's the pace and most players can't keep that pace over 82 games.

In any case. His value is lower than a 40 point defenseman atm but more as a reclaimation project than someone with negative value which he doesn't have.

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
I don't think Petry has negative value. I think if he was UFA last summer he'd get more or less this deal he has now. Look at Suter's deal with Dallas. If he was to be a UFA this summer he'd probably have a more deflated contract but this year is clearly a massive blip in an otherwise reliably productive career. He's had four straight 40-point seasons and last year he had 42 points in 55 games (that's 62 points in a 82 game season!).

The question is if it is a blip or the start of a slide. It is for this reason Montreal is willing to trade him for less than his "real" value. Top-3 dmen with playoff experience who can skate exceptionally well and produce points are worth more than "only" a 2nd round pick/B prospect.

The way I see it, to improperly use rudimentary algebra notation:

Jeff Petry = X
Un/certainty of Petry's future value = M = let's say... it's 0.8
Impact on buyer's cap structure = B
Immediate value of trade counterpart = Y

Y = MX + B

Is "[Prospect] worth an 80% chance that Petry will return to being a 6.25m player for the next three years"?

Is "[Prospect] worth a 50% chance that Petry will return to being a 6.25m player for the next three years"?

Given this (admittedly silly) paradigm I don't think he's negative value, I mean... he's coming off a 62-point pace season. Is he worth taking a chance on with this cap hit for a team that wants a top3 RD? I think so. Is it worth trading [X] for that contract? I also think there is some sorta fit somewhere, so I'm curious what it would be.

if he'd get a smaller contract than his current contract if he was a UFA right now then doesn't that by default mean he has negative value? that and having positive value seem to be mutually exclusive sentiments to me

Mersss

Jul 12, 2014
One is still a solid #2 / 3, the other one was a #7dman at their respective point of their career... Not the same at all

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Petry probably does not have negative value to every team in the league.

"Not negative value" is a far cry from getting a guy who might be our #2 best prospect right now. Especially because old defenseman don't help us as we are still rebuilding

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Detroit gets Petry

Montreal get Soderblom
Petry doesn’t help Detroit’s D woes right now and this Soderblom is a kid who you don’t move right now unless it’s in a big package. You have to see what he looks like playing in NA. To be that big and move as well as he does with those hands, he could be a very unique player in the NHL.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
wasnt there rumours/reports that Montreal was looking for 2-2nd for Petry and he didnt get moved.

He'll need another season like his 2020/21 season to move out of Montreal

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
wasnt there rumours/reports that Montreal was looking for 2-2nd for Petry and he didnt get moved.

He'll need another season like his 2020/21 season to move out of Montreal
NO. More likely that was the best offer and Hughes hung up the phone.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Petry does not play a hard hitting game. He will likely be valuable until the end of his contract. I assume Detroit is mentioned because its close to where his wife moved to. It doesn't make any sense for Detroit to acquire him though. They won't be competitive during his contract.

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Another ridicuous post. Hughes will not give him up for less than a first and a prospect.
Good luck.
The Petry from two years ago was a monster.
The Petry who played in the playoffs last year was broken down. If the Habs had the Petry from two years ago in last year's playoffs, they might have won the cup.

The Petry from this year?
Stats have dropped from 12-30-42 to 4-12-16.
Good f***ing luck getting a first round pick for a rapidly declining, aging defenseman.

You certainly aren't getting Soderblom. who has done nothing but impress since being drafted.

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Good luck.
The Petry from two years ago was a monster.
The Petry who played in the playoffs last year was broken down. If the Habs had the Petry from two years ago in last year's playoffs, they might have won the cup.

The Petry from this year?
Stats have dropped from 12-30-42 to 4-12-16.
Good f***ing luck getting a first round pick for a rapidly declining, aging defenseman.

You certainly aren't getting Soderblom. who has done nothing but impress since being drafted.
Why do you post when you have never seen a Habs game? He is NOT broken down. He was hurt before the playoffs and it never healed. He was terrible like everyone under Ducharme. He was back to normal after Ducharme was canned but fade a bit when it was obvious he wasn't going to be traded. He should have 4-5 years left. If the Habs retianed 2 mil there are lots of worthless defensmen making 4.5 mil. I have no interest in Soderblom

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Why do you post when you have never seen a Habs game? He is NOT broken down. He was hurt before the playoffs and it never healed. He was terrible like everyone under Ducharme. He was back to normal after Ducharme was canned but fade a bit when it was obvious he wasn't going to be traded. He should have 4-5 years left. If the Habs retianed 2 mil there are lots of worthless defensmen making 4.5 mil. I have no interest in Soderblom

I've been a Habs fan since the 70s, kid.
Petry was terrible in last year's playoffs.

His production from last season is less than half of what it was.

Your GM did nice work with Kulak and Chiarot because they're 28 and 30 with affordable, no-strings attached contracts.

Petry has 3 more years @ $6.25M
That's atrocious.

KingPuckChoo

Go kinGs Go !
Jun 24, 2007
Petry is worth 1st 1st 1st 1st 1st 1st on a 50% retained contract as per Trade Deadline

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Petry doesn’t help Detroit’s D woes right now and this Soderblom is a kid who you don’t move right now unless it’s in a big package. You have to see what he looks like playing in NA. To be that big and move as well as he does with those hands, he could be a very unique player in the NHL.
I know a lot of people here value kids and futures above all else, but GMs and coaches want winning teams, now. That's what keeps fans around and stops them getting fired. I think Petry helps Detroit stay somewhat competitive while the rest of the team rebuilds.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012

We don't want him. I don't care about how much you want or don't want Soderblom. We don't want Jeff Petry at 6.25M for another several years. I don't care if he's not broken down, he's in his mid-30s. If he's not now, he soon will be. I'd rather put that 6.25M into an 8 year contract for Moritz Seider ASAP than take on Jeff f***ing Petry.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
I know a lot of people here value kids and futures above all else, but GMs and coaches want winning teams, now. That's what keeps fans around and stops them getting fired. I think Petry helps Detroit stay somewhat competitive while the rest of the team rebuilds.

No, he doesn't. Wings traded for Nick Leddy. He's been just about as productive as Petry was this year. Were the Wings competitive with Leddy? Answer is no, bucko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->