Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadiens sign Gustav Olofsson to 1-Year, 2-Way Deal ($700K AAV)

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Too bad we didn't get to see what Olofsson could do last year....I have a feeling he could potentially be in the mix if he can stay healthy.

I looked at Olofsson almost like Kulak. Acquired while in AHL and Habs ensuring they had defensemen in Laval available for call ups that had real NHL experience. We saw how Kulak turned out. Unfortunately, Olofsson's injury kept him out all year. But if he remains healthy, he is an asset that may potentially be another Kulak.

They will have that this year with Ouellet and Olofsson in Laval.

Reactions: Fixxer and 417

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I looked at Olofsson almost like Kulak. Acquired while in AHL and Habs ensuring they had defensemen in Laval available for call ups that had real NHL experience. We saw how Kulak turned out. Unfortunately, Olofsson's injury kept him out all year. But if he remains healthy, he is an asset that may potentially be another Kulak.

They will have that this year with Ouellet and Olofsson in Laval.
Ouellet, Olofsson, Leskinen, Fleury, Brook, Lernout...not sure if i'm forgetting anyone else.

But I doubt we're going to see Karl Alzner back with the Habs/Laval organization again.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Ouellet, Olofsson, Leskinen, Fleury, Brook, Lernout...not sure if i'm forgetting anyone else.

But I doubt we're going to see Karl Alzner back with the Habs/Laval organization again.

Lernout is an RFA. He'll need to be extended.

There are:
Ouellet, Fleury, Olofsson, Brook, Leskinen, Lamarche, and Sklenicka. And of course, if Alzner is back.

Reactions: 417

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Good luck to him, he's suffered 4 major shoulder injuries in his short NHL career: Confirmed with Link: - Montreal Canadiens Acquire Gustav Olofsson from Minnesota for Will Bitten

Hoping this is the year he makes it through staying healthy.

I really hope he stays healthy. Because I feel like he could be a Kulak-lite. A defenseman acquired for Laval but with NHL experience. And he is a good skater and the kind of defenseman the Habs have seemed to finally realize what type of defensemen work in today's NHL.

Reactions: Fixxer

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010

$700K in NHL
$235K in AHL
$300K guaranteed

Okay….

So in Laval it will be so far there's :
Ouellet, Leskinen, Olofsson and Sklenicka as Left D signed for next year…..

That's a lot of left D.....where does Alzner fit?
Think this mean Alzner won't be there, so it must mean they are thinking about ending his contract.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Good. He was acquired as a player with NHL potential. Hopefully he can stay healthy and push Ouellet and Alzner down the depth chart.

With Olofson signed and Leskinen and Scelinka,one would think that some moves have to happen. Getting crowded in Laval on LD.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
For now it looks like Laval will add:
Poehling, Suzuki, Teasdale, Brook, Primeau and Leskinen….i kind of agree that Laval SHOULD be better this year.
Terrific prospect pool and of course they need to surround those kids with solid AHL Veterans to help them along

Reactions: Doc McKenna

Archijerej

Jan 17, 2005
Poland
With Olofson signed and Leskinen and Scelinka,one would think that some moves have to happen. Getting crowded in Laval on LD.
I believe Ouellet is going to play on the right side. Sklenicka seems to be an odd man out unless Leskinen proves unable to secure a spot in the lineup.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
We say this every year
Its also worth noting that Laval's forward depth as depleted with call ups/trades from the Habs. Guys like Chaput, Froese and Agostino were suppose to be leaders but all were moved without anyone replacing them. With McCarron getting hurt and Hunter Shinkaruk's game falling off a cliff, the number of close games Laval was in impressed me.

With an injection of good talent and AHL vets the Rocket should be a playoff team next year.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Okay….

So in Laval it will be so far there's :
Ouellet, Leskinen, Olofsson and Sklenicka as Left D signed for next year…..

That's a lot of left D.....where does Alzner fit?
Think this mean Alzner won't be there, so it must mean they are thinking about ending his contract.

Unless we plan on dropping Brook and Fleury it will likely be :

Ouellet, Leskinen, Olofsson, Sklenicka, Brook and Fleury.

Also apparently according to some fan we ABSOLUTELY must send both Mete and Juulsen to the AHL.

Reactions: BJCOLLINS

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Highly unlikely Poehling will be in Laval. He is ready and this narrative that offensive skill can be developed in the AHL is nonsense.

Gosh finally someone agreeing with me. Also you can't learn how to win faceoffs against ROR or Bergeron or stop Crosby or McJesus in the AHL. The AHL is mostly to develop players who are not mature enough (mentally and/or physically).

Reactions: BJCOLLINS and Tuggy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->