NHL Montreal Canadiens legend Henri (Pocket Rocket) Richard dies at 84

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
There’s a thread about this on the main board, and @Kevin8se7en had what could be the best take of the day...

None of Wayne Gretzky’s records will be harder to break than Henri Richards’s record of 11 Stanley Cup championships. Richard was an amazing player with a long career on a great team, and a bit underrated, I think.

I never saw him play, but knowing how great the Canadiens were from the ‘50s to the ‘70s, I’ll bet you had to be pretty great to crack that lineup - never mind stay in that lineup for 20 years!

Rest in peace, Henri. May the Lord bless you and keep you.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
RIP to a true legend

My mother was a Habs season ticket holder for almost 10 years waaaaaaaaaaay back in the day and she had two players she loved and who stood out above all others, Beliveau and Richard. She is up in heaven right now and as I mentioned in another thread, she is likely to stalk him all over the place she loved him that much

RIP

Bergyesque

Been there, done that.
Mar 11, 2014
Laval, QC, Canada
I have a little story to share regarding the Pocket Rocket.

In the late 1980s, I was at an Expos game at the Big O with my then-GF.
While waiting in line to get something to eat... and drink, who do I spot just in front of me, the Pocket Rocket!
Though my father hated the Habs more than anyone I've ever know (even anybody in here, if that's even possible :laugh:), he was an absolute fan of both Richard brothers.
So I asked him to sign my baseball ticket for my father, and he obliged gracefully.

Later in the game, the PA announced that some Habs players had just won some awards at the annual awards ceremony (I only remember Carbo winning the Selke, what a joke).
Anyway, with each announcement, as a good Bruins fan, I booed very loudly.
My GF then pleaded with me to stop, telling me that Henri Richard was just sitting behind me! I hadn't even noticed!
I turned around to confirm, and showed him a confused expression that partly told something like "sorry but not sorry", I guess.
Unfazed, the Pocket Rocket flashed a subtle smile and a big wink... and I kept on booing!

I like people that know when to play hard, and when to play cool, and he was one of them!

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts

While waiting in line to get something to eat... and drink, who do I spot just in front of me, the Pocket Rocket!
Though my father hated the Habs more than anyone I've ever know (even anybody in here, if that's even possible :laugh:), he was an absolute fan of both Richard brothers.
So I asked him to sign my baseball ticket for my father, and he obliged gracefully.

Later in the game, the PA announced that some Habs players had just won some awards at the annual awards ceremony (I only remember Carbo winning the Selke, what a joke).
My GF then pleaded with me to stop, telling me that Henri Richard was just sitting behind me! I hadn't even noticed!
I turned around to confirm, and showed him a confused expression that partly told something like "sorry but not sorry", I guess.
Unfazed, the Pocket Rocket flashed a subtle smile and a big wink... and I kept on booing!

I like people that know when to play hard, and when to play cool, and he was one of them!
I wish I could “like” this more than once.

Great story, mon ami!

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Reactions: pie19 and Number6

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs

What fun! Thanks for sharing.
RIP Henri.

aguineapig

The Richard Bros always had that stare. The intensity in their eyes were like laser beams, it could drill holes thru your chest. They were non stop, full speed ahead damn the torpedoes I'm gonna' beat you good. They were worthy enemies and of our utmost respect. Good bye and God Bless.
Think it's time to plug in the turntable and spin "I Got a Rocket in My Pocket" by NRBQ as their final salute.

Reactions: Bergyesque

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
There’s a thread about this on the main board, and @Kevin8se7en had what could be the best take of the day...

None of Wayne Gretzky’s records will be harder to break than Henri Richards’s record of 11 Stanley Cup championships. Richard was an amazing player with a long career on a great team, and a bit underrated, I think.

I never saw him play, but knowing how great the Canadiens were from the ‘50s to the ‘70s, I’ll bet you had to be pretty great to crack that lineup - never mind stay in that lineup for 20 years!

Rest in peace, Henri. May the Lord bless you and keep you.

Unfortunately, I can no longer find much of the mid 90s Canadian documentary series, Legends of Hockey, on YouTube.

Here are a couple of consolation prizes,

I believe Scott Bowman said of Henri that, if he were starting a team from scratch, Pocket Rocket would be his first selection. A great, great player who, along with his older brother, Le Gros Bill, Jaques Plante, and so, so many other Canadiens players, deserves to be counted among the very best to ever play the game.

Reactions: rfournier103

rfournier103

Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
Unfortunately, I can no longer find much of the mid 90s Canadian documentary series, Legends of Hockey, on YouTube.

Here are a couple of consolation prizes,

I believe Scott Bowman said of Henri that, if he were starting a team from scratch, Pocket Rocket would be his first selection. A great, great player who, along with his older brother, Le Gros Bill, Jaques Plante, and so, so many other Canadiens players, deserves to be counted among the very best to ever play the game.

Absolutely.

Most of us pretty much agree who the top four players of all time are, but Henri is absolutely in the conversation for number five.

Personally, I’d give number five to his older brother Maurice - whom I like to refer to as Alex Ovechkin with a bigger dorsal fin - but I would take either Richard on the Bruins in a heartbeat.

I’d bet you lunch that if either Maurice or Henri were skating for the Bruins this year, there’s no way they get bounced in the first round. No way in hell. Not necessarily because they are ALL TIME greats, but anyone would be absolutely terrified to let either one of them down.

Those two did not suffer losing, or losers, gladly.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Absolutely.

Most of us pretty much agree who the top four players of all time are, but Henri is absolutely in the conversation for number five.

Personally, I’d give number five to his older brother Maurice - whom I like to refer to as Alex Ovechkin with a bigger dorsal fin - but I would take either Richard on the Bruins in a heartbeat.

I’d bet you lunch that if either Maurice or Henri were skating for the Bruins this year, there’s no way they get bounced in the first round. No way in hell. Not necessarily because they are ALL TIME greats, but anyone would be absolutely terrified to let either one of them down.

Those two did not suffer losing, or losers, gladly.

Mais oui

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad