Montreal Canadiens among top performers of UFA Day - Not signed anyone

Status
Not open for further replies.

PricePkPatch*

Since the old threads were "GDT" (Game Day Thread) and we are the day after, I thought we might as well get back to the general conversation about what to do in term of signings and trades.

Plus, the biggest conversations of yesterday were sparked by trade talk, not any UFA signing.

TennisMenace

Jul 3, 2008
Buffalo
Plus, the biggest conversations of yesterday were sparked by trade talk, not any UFA signing.

I for one am not unhappy we did not overpay for those UFA players.

I'm more disappointed that we were unable to trade 1-2 of our smurfs (Gionta and DD) for size.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
I for one am not unhappy we did not overpay for those UFA players.

I'm more disappointed that we were unable to trade 1-2 of our smurfs (Gionta and DD) for size.

Well as I've been told, this isn't what the UFA period is about in the case of DD... wait and see I guess.

hey

Mar 8, 2006
Why is everyone in such as rush to make a trade. Wouldn't we get better value to wait for the right opportunity? For instance a team has key injury to a centerman. Then DD's value to that team just went up. When you don't have a big name most of the time waiting is the best for a good return.

poetryinmotion

Jul 12, 2011
Why is everyone in such as rush to make a trade. Wouldn't we get better value to wait for the right opportunity? For instance a team has key injury to a centerman. Then DD's value to that team just went up. When you don't have a big name most of the time waiting is the best for a good return.

Yeah, DD can raise his value on his own also by performing well - we shouldn't be in any hurry to trade him just because size matters.

HockeyAddict

Nov 7, 2008
on an island
Yeah, DD can raise his value on his own also by performing well - we shouldn't be in any hurry to trade him just because size matters.

Yep, I'd keep DD around and see what he does this year. If he puts up a 50-60 pts season, he will make excellent trade bait given his friendly cap-hit (given the crazy contracts given out yesterday). No point jumping the gun by trading him now considering this team is no where near being a serious contender at the moment.

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Ryan would have been sweet to acquire. A 1st line player hardly ever come available. Unless drafting high because top free agents never sign here. To acquire him without giving up anything high end would have been sweet. Ryan is what doctor ordered here in Montreal. A big, strong, 30 goal scoring winger.

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal

Nope, you're on HF man. Do a trade, and it's necessarily a bad one, don't move and Bergevin is stupid.

dcal64

Jul 4, 2010
Ottawa

We need to dump DD as soon as possible, he eats up valuable cap space and takes ice-time away from Eller.

Habs better without DD since Eller would get more ice-time.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Ryan would have been sweet to acquire. A 1st line player hardly ever come available. Unless drafting high because top free agents never sign here. To acquire him without giving up anything high end would have been sweet. Ryan is what doctor ordered here in Montreal. A big, strong, 30 goal scoring winger.

Ottawa gave up a decent amount for him. It's not like it was a steal.

19VJ17

Mar 9, 2011
Ottawa gave up a decent amount for him. It's not like it was a steal.

I think Ottawa gave up too much for Ryan. This guy has been rumored to be trade for over 2 years.
As for DD being trade, I think that is crazy talk. He will have a better season this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->