Speculation: Montreal Canadiens - All Time Team?

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Just for fun:

Guy Lafleur - Jean Béliveau - Maurice Richard
Steve Shutt - Henri Richard - Yvan Cournoyer
Mats Naslund - Jacques Lemaire - Bernard Geoffrion
Dickie Moore - Saku Koivu - Claude Provost

Larry Robinson - Guy Lapointe
Doug Harvey - Andrei Markov
Serge Savard - Chris Chelios

Patrick Roy
Jacques Plante

(All in their prime)

How would this team do in todays NHL?

"How can you have him with ..." and "Why do you not pick ..." I look forward to a scary aha experience of having missed the big names that should have been included.

Feel free to make your own all-time team....

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Just for fun:

Guy Lafleur - Jean Béliveau - Maurice Richard
Steve Shutt - Henri Richard - Yvan Cournoyer
Mats Naslund - Jacques Lemaire - Bernard Geoffrion
Dickie Moore - Saku Koivu - Claude Provost

Larry Robinson - Guy Lapointe
Doug Harvey - Andrei Markov
Serge Savard - Chris Chelios

Patrick Roy
Jacques Plante

J(All in their prime)

How would this team do in todays NHL?

"How can you have him with ..." and "Why do you not pick ..." I look forward to a scary aha experience of having missed the big names that should have been included.

Feel free to make your own all-time team....

Naslund was my childhood idol... But I'm not ever sure he makes the 2nd team, let alone the first.

LW
Joliat
Moore
Blake
Gainey

C
Beliveau
Morenz
H. Richard
Lach

RW
R. Richard
Lafleur
Geoffrion
Provost (I know, Cournoyer is better)

D
Harvey
Robinson
Cleghorn
Savard
Chelios
Any of Reardon, Bouchard, Lapointe.

Not sure Andrei Markov makes the 2nd team.

Roy
Plante

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
CROFL Koivu in the best Habs lineup ever

I mean, it depends.

Are you picking the most talented at every position ever, or trying to build a team with various positions? Koivu as a 4th line center in his prime would be amazing. He also brought tremendous leadership/character/prestige to the habs.

Anyways, here's my thought, and I dare anyone to disagree:

PK Subban makes the team EASILY, EASILY. By the time he retires (should he play his whole career in Montreal) he will be the #1 defenseman in Habs history. Talent-wise? He may already be near the very top, definately top 6.

FlyingKostitsyn

Mar 7, 2008
Quebec
I mean, it depends.

Are you picking the most talented at every position ever, or trying to build a team with various positions? Koivu as a 4th line center in his prime would be amazing. He also brought tremendous leadership/character/prestige to the habs.

PK Subban makes the team EASILY, EASILY. By the time he retires (should he play his whole career in Montreal) he will be the #1 defenseman in Habs history. Talent-wise? He may already be near the very top, definately top 6.

Oh sweet summer child... :laugh:

May I introduce you to Mr. Robinson and Mr. Harvey?

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
I mean, it depends.

Is there really a debate between Henri Richard and Saku Koivu ? Heck, is there even a debate between Carbo and KoiVU FOR A 4TH LINE ROLE ?

Yeah, that was the other problem. A good claim can be made that Doug Harvey is the best Habs ever, and a very, very good claim can be made that he's the 2nd best Dmen to lace em up.

Not to mention, these guys that also won the Norris

Johnson, Laperriere, Chelios.

And those who would have one I'd the award existed :
Reardon, Cleghorn, Seibert, Gardiner (according end-ofyear all star voting. Seibert and Gardiner actually won the Hart as D-mens).

Marchy79

Mar 1, 2003
Barrie
Visit site
Is there really a debate between Henri Richard and Saku Koivu ? Heck, is there even a debate between Carbo and KoiVU FOR A 4TH LINE ROLE ?

Yeah, that was the other problem. A good claim can be made that Doug Harvey is the best Habs ever, and a very, very good claim can be made that he's the 2nd best Dmen to lace em up.

Not to mention, these guys that also won the Norris

Johnson, Laperriere, Chelios.

And those who would have one I'd the award existed :
Reardon, Cleghorn, Seibert, Gardiner (according end-ofyear all star voting. Seibert and Gardiner actually won the Hart as D-mens).

Harvey is an amazing talent... But the Rocket is the best hab ever. No debate on that one IMO.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Yes.

PK Subban is at the start of his career, obviously. But if PK plays for montreal for another 10-15 years, I fully expect that in 15 years, people will refer to PK as the best ever. Meaning, above those guys.

Barring of course any fluke incidents (career injury, early retirement, trade to another team, etc)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad