Proposal: Montreal Canadiens 2018 rebuild [NYI,NJD,TBL,DAL,VGK]

GRECOHAB

Jun 1, 2013
You better double check that because many insiders believe his agent put a clause in that his NMC/NTC became active the second he signed his extension
Really? Never heared it before... i thought we could move him before summer everywhere...interesting!!!

GRECOHAB

Jun 1, 2013
I can't believe there is anyone that thinks we'd want the pile of suck that is Jordie Benn back, worst yet we're paying to do so..
A 4th rounder is a cheap price to pay for a contender adding depth prior to the postseason...Benn would be a decent pickup for you guys...if you feel comfident though with 7D playing tough 7 games series, is another story...

GRECOHAB

Jun 1, 2013
Too many trades. This many trades do not happen in real life.
Its the only way, my friend...as i stated before i would include Alzner, Shaw and Petry in deals, but i just cant find any suitable takers at this point. There needs to be a two face rebuild...this year and the next...

GRECOHAB

Jun 1, 2013
Supposedly its was put in to avoid the Subban scenario
I really have to look this up...if so, i guess then Price is indeed untradable...He would only waive the clause for Vancouver or Seattle [if it ever happens]. I dont think he would like Galgary, Edmonton or Winnipeg...

GRECOHAB

Jun 1, 2013
But we're still competitive and guess who isn't

When I get a hangnail I don't cut off the finger

What you suggest is tantamount to suicide.

If he could do it tomorrow without penalty Bergevin would by out price but the way it's structured he can't even do that if he had a free buyout....price gets paid anyway

That's how bad the deal is. Even a new cba can't help
Interesting thoughts...
The NYI are dead last in the league at SV%. You guys spend above 7M being dead last in the league...You should be all over this trade, not saying its a tantamount to suicide. Next year with Halak off the books you either bring up goalies from your farm teams [good luck to that] or you sign/trade for a starter [i suppose at a 5/6M range]. Thats about 10M for your goalie tandem [Price's new salary].
The problem with you guys is that you overpay your backup, and my trade proposal fixes the problem for you...Not understanding this is comfusing.

GRECOHAB

Jun 1, 2013
Not really. Carey Price is not the reason Marc Bergevin is lacking a centreman while sitting on 8$ million in open cap space, or overrated his defense corps acquisitions.

Don't know why you're getting so petulant. I like the Islanders but clearly goaltending is a major problem when you're sitting in a wild card position but have the worst GAA and save % in the league.
Nice point...

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Interesting thoughts...
The NYI are dead last in the league at SV%. You guys spend above 7M being dead last in the league...You should be all over this trade, not saying its a tantamount to suicide. Next year with Halak off the books you either bring up goalies from your farm teams [good luck to that] or you sign/trade for a starter [i suppose at a 5/6M range]. Thats about 10M for your goalie tandem [Price's new salary].
The problem with you guys is that you overpay your backup, and my trade proposal fixes the problem for you...Not understanding this is comfusing.
One of our best prospects Is Linus Soderstrom one of the best goalies in the Swedish elite League. who is signed and expected to play for us next year. we also have Ilya Sorokin, one of the 3 best goalies in Russia. So we already have our replacements.

We don't want price contract for obvious reasons I fail to see why this is confusing to you. Why would we want to the ourselves to a goalie who while great, would the up our cap space and ruin any hope of building a championship team?

You have price and you're behind us in the standings. Do you not get that?

Last edited:

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Interesting thoughts...
Nice point...
What's nice about it You have price and you're not even near a playoff spot. And by paying him that much you can't afford a quality team.

Omar

Oct 10, 2017
Elite C prospects? They dont grow in trees, you know...McLeod, Quenneville, Poehling all have potential, not to mention a prospect like Tkachuk who may be in our draft range...[if we dont win the lottery, it is]

If we were to trade Price, Weber and Pacioretty I guarantee management would target an elite #1C.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
And by paying him that much you can't afford a quality team.

I don't know how you're still so convinced that that contract alone is enough to doom us for years to come. We would have the cap space to be very much competitive next year too when Price's contract kicks in, had MB pulled the right strings considering the rest of our roster.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Change it to Isles 1st and we will throw in Chimmer! lol

Price + Montoya [MTL] for Halak + Griess + HoShang + CGY 1st 18 + CGY 2nd 18 [NYI]

The NYI are an elite goalie away from being a true contender. They are a star player away from resigning Tavares and ice a competitive team for the next 5 years. Money wise, the spend above 7M for incompeted goaltending, and probably will be looking for a goalie as Halak is coming off the books. Greiss is a heck of a backup but 3,3M is a lot for it. They need a star goalie and a cheap backup. With the way the teams salary is stractured and the cap going up they sure can afford spending 20M for Price and Tavares. A move like this can boost the morale of the team and make it extremely tough to not consider them as Cup favorites. Ho Shang is a prospect with a lot of talent that they recently demoted for some reason and the picks are expendable since its not even theirs. A fair deal that can provide a Stanley Cup, to my eyes.

IODCPiper

Jan 26, 2016
Second thought Isles need to shed some $$ in order for it to work.
To Isles
Price

To Habs
Halak
Clutterbuck
Ho Sang
Isles 1st
Isles 2nd

Price + Montoya [MTL] for Halak + Griess + HoShang + CGY 1st 18 + CGY 2nd 18 [NYI]

The NYI are an elite goalie away from being a true contender. They are a star player away from resigning Tavares and ice a competitive team for the next 5 years. Money wise, the spend above 7M for incompeted goaltending, and probably will be looking for a goalie as Halak is coming off the books. Greiss is a heck of a backup but 3,3M is a lot for it. They need a star goalie and a cheap backup. With the way the teams salary is stractured and the cap going up they sure can afford spending 20M for Price and Tavares. A move like this can boost the morale of the team and make it extremely tough to not consider them as Cup favorites. Ho Shang is a prospect with a lot of talent that they recently demoted for some reason and the picks are expendable since its not even theirs. A fair deal that can provide a Stanley Cup, to my eyes.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Habs need a re-tool, not a rebuild..............once they fire Bergevin, it will be addition by subtraction. Bergevin only knows how to make a team worse, not build it better...we have seen six yrs of this, as the Habs have regressed.

Reactions: Habset

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Habs need a re-tool, not a rebuild..............once they fire Bergevin, it will be addition by subtraction. Bergevin only knows how to make a team worse, not build it better...we have seen six yrs of this, as the Habs have regressed.
Habs aren't in a position to do a full rebuild. To do that they'd need to jettison their two biggest contracts, Price and Weber. Both of those players are likely going to require assets to move which sets the rebuild back even further. If you move everyone around them you have 18m tied up in Price and Weber for the next bazillion years so it becomes an 8yr rebuild. Now THAT is a tough spot to be in, you'd almost need to force Weber to retire and have Price go to Robidas island. Both good players on BAD contracts

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Habs aren't in a position to do a full rebuild. To do that they'd need to jettison their two biggest contracts, Price and Weber. Both of those players are likely going to require assets to move which sets the rebuild back even further. If you move everyone around them you have 18m tied up in Price and Weber for the next bazillion years so it becomes an 8yr rebuild. Now THAT is a tough spot to be in, you'd almost need to force Weber to retire and have Price go to Robidas island. Both good players on BAD contracts

Weber's deal is mostly bad for Nashville, not for Montreal or whatever team would acquire him. Good look signing a number one d-man with a 7.8 cap hit.
For Price's deal, the habs probably overpay the first 1-2 possibly 3 years, but the rest of the contract will probably be fair value if the cap goes up like it has over the last years. I don't think his value is negative...

harrisb

Oct 6, 2009
Weber's deal is mostly bad for Nashville, not for Montreal or whatever team would acquire him. Good look signing a number one d-man with a 7.8 cap hit.
For Price's deal, the habs probably overpay the first 1-2 possibly 3 years, but the rest of the contract will probably be fair value if the cap goes up like it has over the last years. I don't think his value is negative...
Is Weber a #1D in 2-3 years let along 6,7 or 8? At which point he's still sucking up 7.8m in cap. Are the habs going to force him in to retirement? After another 5.5 seasons he MIGHT retire given it's only 1m per season but that's the habs best bet.

Same with Price, he's 30yrs old now and has played an absolute ton of hockey for a goalie by that time. I'd flip your timeline, that contract looks good for the first 3 years and then really bad as he ages. He's had some lengthy injuries in the past and is an elite defender but has been for so long that he's logged a ton of miles.

There is the problem, those two are ok during the rebuild, NOT ok after it and they'll be damn near impossible to move by then is my predication

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why will paying Price next year 10.5M our best player, a problem in a 80M cap world? Why is it other teams pay their best player, a high cap hit, but we can't?

The problem is the GM............who couldn't build a good team with Price on a cap friendly deal......this is the GM that doesn't believe in windows of opportunity ( should have been fired after admitting this )

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Weber's contract is only a problem for Nashville if he retires. Worst case scenario for the Habs is if he still wants to play. No matter what you're handing out in real dollars for him, a 3rd pairing D sucking up 8 million dollars of your cap for another 8 years is going to be ugly.

72hockey guy

Nov 24, 2017
Second thought Isles need to shed some $$ in order for it to work.
To Isles
Price

To Habs
Halak
Clutterbuck
Ho Sang
Isles 1st
Isles 2nd

IODC, is no scenario where Price to the isles works. none. Here's what you need to do, do a spreadsheet for the next 4 years add your deal to the isles roster. By the 4th year our roster has holes a truck could drive through and it will be non competitive

We will have the oldest slowest defense in nhl history

nobody is trading for that contract, nobody, it hurts the habs already, and they arent giving up a 1st a second and hosang. building a team isnt about 1 year its about a competitve window. Montreal is fornicated, why would we do that to ourselves. the cap isnt going to keep going up, the vp of league operations said so yesterday.so adding a 10m dollar contract long term on to of Tavares is not a good idea

until you actually do that spreadsheet, you wont see why, so do it

Last edited:

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
Weber's contract is only a problem for Nashville if he retires. Worst case scenario for the Habs is if he still wants to play. No matter what you're handing out in real dollars for him, a 3rd pairing D sucking up 8 million dollars of your cap for another 8 years is going to be ugly.
IMO Worst case scenario,Weber retires in 4 yrs. Once the money drops to 3 mil i believe he's gone. People need to pull their head out of the sand if they really think that Weber is gonna play for 3 yrs making 1 mil a yr. I don't even think he plays for the 3mil season.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Is Weber a #1D in 2-3 years let along 6,7 or 8? At which point he's still sucking up 7.8m in cap. Are the habs going to force him in to retirement? After another 5.5 seasons he MIGHT retire given it's only 1m per season but that's the habs best bet.

Same with Price, he's 30yrs old now and has played an absolute ton of hockey for a goalie by that time. I'd flip your timeline, that contract looks good for the first 3 years and then really bad as he ages. He's had some lengthy injuries in the past and is an elite defender but has been for so long that he's logged a ton of miles.

There is the problem, those two are ok during the rebuild, NOT ok after it and they'll be damn near impossible to move by then is my predication

From what we have seen in recent history it seems the players who signed similar deals (Hossa being the most recent example) had an agreement with teams to retire after a certain point... If he<s that bad you send him to an internal cap team with a 3rd and everyone is happy...

I think the scenario you are pointing out is much less likely than Weber being top pairing for another 3-4 years and second pairing for 1-2 years after that and than retire.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad