Montreal Canadiens 2018 Preseason III

Status
Not open for further replies.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
A few of us have been wondering what upgrades are possible with teams all trying to slip through their excess talent and some who are talent rich, are hoping that with every team facing a numbers crunch, they'll be able to slip through some desirable players.

I just hope there isn't some "gentleman's agreement" making the whole process a sham.

I have to believe there will be better options than Benn and Ouellet on the wire as team pare down their rosters. Question is -- will Bergevin take advantage of them? And if not, why not?

attitude.jpg

Reactions: Runner77

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
A few of us have been wondering what upgrades are possible with teams all trying to slip through their excess talent and some who are talent rich, are hoping that with every team facing a numbers crunch, they'll be able to slip through some desirable players.

I just hope there isn't some "gentleman's agreement" making the whole process a sham.

I have to believe there will be better options than Benn and Ouellet on the wire as team pare down their rosters. Question is -- will Bergevin take advantage of them? And if not, why not?

He grabbed Paul Byron, didn't he?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Antti Niemi last season

Well, that's a low-level backup. He's not worth all that much on the market.

We've seen MB pick up trash from the bin, but that doesn't hold much value when you get fleeced on major deals. His track record is putrid, I don't even know how he's still there.

Last edited:
Reactions: Per Sjoblom

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Well, that's a low-level backup. He's not worth all that much on the market.

We've seen MB pick up trash from the bin, but that doesn't hold much value when you get fleeced on major deals. His track record is putrid, I don't even know how he's still there.

The question was: does Bergevin pick up guys off waivers, or is his approach one of letting teams send their guys down without interference.

When you pick up a guy, you never know if he will turn out great or not. Different question.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The question was: does Bergevin pick up guys off waivers, or is his approach one of letting teams send their guys down without interference.

When you pick up a guy, you never know if he will turn out great or not. Different question.

The question was what happens now, when teams have to pare down their rosters to start the season and where all teams are concurrently doing so.

Paul Byron was picked up in-season, it has nothing to do with what happens now. It was the braindead deed of one team and the Habs happened to have a favorable selection. It's not like now where all teams are waiving players.

To cover all the bases, I merely issued the wish that there was no gentleman's agreement applicable at this particular juncture in the season further to which teams would hold off from selecting certain players. Do I know for a fact that there is one -- not at all.

It's a moot point, really. What matters is that in the exercise of paring down rosters, the teams which have less depth, have a shot at the excess talent of the talent-rich teams. Since the Habs don't have quality depth, I was merely suggesting that they stand to gain the most since the odds of seeing say a D being waived who is better than Benn, are probably good. Question is -- would the Habs ditch someone like Benn in order to claim that better player? I'm just hoping that this is what is going to happen.

I am assuming that there will be more than enough players who could be the 22nd or 23rd player on the Habs's roster. I just don't know how much they value the players they already have. And how willing they are to drop one in order to add that player from an excess talent team, that would otherwise not be available at a different junture in-season.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Canucks fan here. Curious what you all think of Victor Mete this preseason?

He didn't come and impress everyone completely out of the blue like he did last year so there has been less talk about him but he's still made progress. Has been able to comfortably lead his pairing and makes good decisions all the time, a lock to be in our top 4 this year.

Reactions: WhatATwist96

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
The question was what happens now, when teams have to pare down their rosters to start the season and where all teams are concurrently doing so.

Paul Byron was picked up in-season, it has nothing to do with what happens now. It was the braindead deed of one team and the Habs happened to have a favorable selection. It's not like now where all teams are waiving players.

To cover all the bases, I merely issued the wish that there was no gentleman's agreement applicable at this particular juncture in the season further to which teams would hold off from selecting certain players. Do I know for a fact that there is one -- not at all.

It's a moot point, really. What matters is that in the exercise of paring down rosters, the teams which have less depth, have a shot at the excess talent of the talent-rich teams. Since the Habs don't have quality depth, I was merely suggesting that they stand to gain the most since the odds of seeing say a D being waived who is better than Benn, are probably good. Question is -- would the Habs ditch someone like Benn in order to claim that better player? I'm just hoping that this is what is going to happen.

I am assuming that there will be more than enough players who could be the 22nd or 23rd player on the Habs's roster. I just don't know how much they value the players they already have. And how willing they are to drop one in order to add that player from an excess talent team, that would otherwise not be available at a different junture in-season.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Cool story, bro. Niemi was in-season. Byron was right at this point. :laugh:

Canadiens claim forward Paul Byron off waivers from the Calgary Flames

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
Reactions: Kaperi Spacey

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Must be between Despres and Benn... I hope.

I don't know what other teams' specific situations are, but I think MB's plan is: Trade Benn and sign Després. Després isn't the answer to the defensive depth, but I would take him over Benn. With Weber and Schlemko out with injuries, the Canadiens will start the year with 7 defensemen and 14 forwards.

Forwards: Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Hudon, Plekanec, De La Rose, Scherbak, Peca, Byron, and Armia. On IR: Deslauriers & Shaw.

Defense: Petry, Reilly, Mete, Juulsen, Alzner, Ouellet, and Després. On IR: Weber & Schlemko.

Goalies: Price & Niemi.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Also keep in mind that Andrew Shaw won't be out for that much longer either. They were saying that he would be out until mid-October.

Jul 6, 2016
Will Kotkaniemi on board, where will Domi play ? At center or on a wing ?

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
I don't know what other teams' specific situations are, but I think MB's plan is: Trade Benn and sign Després. Després isn't the answer to the defensive depth, but I would take him over Benn. With Weber and Schlemko out with injuries, the Canadiens will start the year with 7 defensemen and 14 forwards.

Forwards: Drouin, Domi, Gallagher, Danault, Tatar, Lehkonen, Kotkaniemi, Hudon, Plekanec, De La Rose, Scherbak, Peca, Byron, and Armia. On IR: Deslauriers & Shaw.

Defense: Petry, Reilly, Mete, Juulsen, Alzner, Ouellet, and Després. On IR: Weber & Schlemko.

Goalies: Price & Niemi.

Pretty much the way i see it. Benn's Cinderella story would definitely be over if i was making the decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad