Montreal Canadiens 2018 Preseason III

Status
Not open for further replies.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
They seems to really want to give a shot to Domi at center and to Armia in an offensive role.
Just a shame what Domi did cause we don't know what he can or can't do.

We have four guys (Plekanec, Peca, Hudon and Scherbak) who were expected to fight for a top 9 role, they ended up fighting for a 4th line role and it's not like DLR and Chaput didn't made a case for themselves too. There's still Shaw and Deslauriers to add to this mix.

Good position for Bergevin to make a trade in the near future.

Domi is almost assured a slow start. Preseason was important for him in order to get a feel for his teammates and the system. Preseason games are the next best way to get that familiarity besides the actual season.

The question will be how he reacts to the slow start. Will he end up putting more pressure on himself, and continue the vicious circle?

Reactions: Fixxer

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Hudon the odd man out at practice. What the hell? Thought he clearly earned a spot over Scherbak.
There's no chance Chaput is ahead of Hudon on this org depth chart.

They probably want to give him another game before cutting him.

Peca and Hudon will be on the opening roster IMO.

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Not surprisingly, we're getting an early taste of Julien's crappy line combinations. What horse manure the lines at practice are:

Armia still on the Drouin line, where Domi should be.

Domi's still out of position, when we already have 5 centers: Kotkaniemi, Danault, Peca, Plekanec, and DLR

DLR is on the wing, where he's clueless.

Scherbak is with Chaput and Plekanec, when he needs to be tried with offensive guys.

Ouellet appears to be behind Benn and Alzner, who are paired together - what a disaster of a pair.

Kraken Jokes

May 28, 2010
Does there seem to be a possibility of a defenceman falling through waivers from another team that might be an improvement on Benn & Ouellet?

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
Does there seem to be a possibility of a defenceman falling through waivers from another team that might be an improvement on Benn & Ouellet?

A right-handed guy would be ideal to pair with Ouellet on that 3rd pair. Benn/Alzner should be extras. Schlemko will probably be sent to Laval whenever he's healthy, unless our D is a complete tire fire (which is possible). But Weber should come back around the same time as Schlemko, so there's that.

Connor Carrick from TOR might go on waivers, he's a righty, can skate and move the puck.

There is also Alex Biega, Montreal born, but I never really liked him. Unsure if he stays in VAN or not.

Greg Pateryn would look pretty good on that 3rd pair, would he not?

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
Not surprisingly, we're getting an early taste of Julien's crappy line combinations. What horse manure the lines at practice are:

Armia still on the Drouin line, where Domi should be.

Domi's still out of position, when we already have 5 centers: Kotkaniemi, Danault, Peca, Plekanec, and DLR

DLR is on the wing, where he's clueless.

Scherbak is with Chaput and Plekanec, when he needs to be tried with offensive guys.

Ouellet appears to be behind Benn and Alzner, who are paired together - what a disaster of a pair.

I have to disagree about that DLR comment, he looks pretty good o the wing so far this preseason, I believe he might be MTL best defensive forward on this team. I like him on that 13th spot.

Reactions: Vygor and 26Mats

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I have to disagree about that DLR comment, he looks pretty good o the wing so far this preseason, I believe he might be MTL best defensive forward on this team. I like him on that 13th spot.

It would seem Chaput is the most likely to clear waivers. So he should be sent down and essentially be the 15th forward playing in Laval. DLR and Scherbak can be the 13th and 14th forwards to start the season.

Reactions: EveryDay

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
A right-handed guy would be ideal to pair with Ouellet on that 3rd pair. Benn/Alzner should be extras. Schlemko will probably be sent to Laval whenever he's healthy, unless our D is a complete tire fire (which is possible). But Weber should come back around the same time as Schlemko, so there's that.

Connor Carrick from TOR might go on waivers, he's a righty, can skate and move the puck.

There is also Alex Biega, Montreal born, but I never really liked him. Unsure if he stays in VAN or not.

Greg Pateryn would look pretty good on that 3rd pair, would he not?

I'd take a chance on Carrick, only 24 yo

Reactions: Vygor

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018

It's good to hear that someone is liking DLR's play. I've only been able to watch so much this preseason, and have pretty much only read negative things about his play.

I don't know if he'll ever be able to help, and not hurt, a line offensively. but all the physical tools and skills are there. I see a small chance when he gets more self confidence and assertiveness that he could do so.

Reactions: Vygor

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
It's good to hear that someone is liking DLR's play. I've only been able to watch so much this preseason, and have pretty much only read negative things about his play.

I don't know if he'll ever be able to help, and not hurt, a line offensively. but all the physical tools and skills are there. I see a small chance when he gets more self confidence and assertiveness that he could do so.
He's already playing better offensively, and it started after the Plekanec trade last year. During this preseason, he has 2 points already and has created chances every game he played.

People forget DLR is only 23, two years younger than Matthew Peca.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Even if one was waived I don't see him getting by Ottawa

Unless Ottawa (i.e. Dorion and crew) haven't done their homework and miss out on someone. Reilly was available for a 5th, and he's looking like such a dman.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

They are showing 22 players, 1 extra D and 1 extra F.

There will be two names dropped before game time.

My guess is Lehkonen and Mete

EDIT: According to RDS, I got the two spares bang on!

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

A few of us have been wondering what upgrades are possible with teams all trying to slip through their excess talent and some who are talent rich, are hoping that with every team facing a numbers crunch, they'll be able to slip through some desirable players.

I just hope there isn't some "gentleman's agreement" making the whole process a sham.

I have to believe there will be better options than Benn and Ouellet on the wire as team pare down their rosters. Question is -- will Bergevin take advantage of them? And if not, why not?

Reactions: mariolemieux66
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad