News Article: Montreal Canadiens: 2013 NHL Draft War Room

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
THW's Eastern hockey bird dog E-Mac looks at an alternative perspective for the Habs at the 2013 NHL Draft table.

Looks at the following elements:
  • Major Needs
  • Likely Draft Positions and Potential Picks
  • The Major Team Decision Makers
  • The Big Club – Current Roster
  • Top 10 Prospects
  • The Last Three Drafts

Link to full article

While I may not even agree with all the proposed picks and prospect rankings, definitely a thorough and knowledgeable perspective. Comments and constructive criticism expected and wanted...

Critique the heck out of it!

(Apologies in advance if any spelling errors; tried to double and triple check as much as possible. Not looking to make excuses, but my neighbourhood was one of those hit in Calgary flooding and it's been a crazy few days, to say the least. But the draft goes on...)
___

*2013 NHL Draft Prospect Index
**2013 NHL Draft Guide: The Next Ones
***2013 NHL Draft Rankings: The Next Ones Final Top 210

JonathanToews19clutc*

Valentin Zykov please <3

M.Pacioretty - A.Galchenyuk - V.Zykov, my dream<3

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
2 – Shutdown defenseman with size – The Habs have Jarred Tinordi for size and hopefully physicality and PK loves to go up against the top players. However, a large – sized defenseman who can skate would make the Habs that much harder to play against. Hopefully, the Habs will take one of the following with an early 2nd round pick: Steve Santini, Ian McCoshen or Dillon Heatherington. There are still excellent prospects with size likely available for the Habs late 2nd and early 3rd picks such as Linus Arnesson, Micheal Downing, Gustav Olofsson, Carl Dahlstrom and Mitchell Wheaton.

No love for Emelin?

dreamingofdrouin*

How reliable is a mock draft? Not at all.

I mean their ranking of morin at #32...relative to previous years, is there somebody out there who know's their track record? Are they usually pretty accurate with their predictions?

Stephpa10

Jul 23, 2005
I mean their ranking of morin at #32...relative to previous years, is there somebody out there who know's their track record? Are they usually pretty accurate with their predictions?

Morin has been a late riser, i hope he is there at 25 i have him ranked 14, i would do :banana: if we get him

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I'm hoping morin or gauthier or mantha slip to 25 then one of the defensemen stated above at 34 then Dauphin at 36.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Morin would be pretty wicked. Mantha's interesting and Zykov seems cool too. Going to be an interesting draft.

According to Bobby Mac, Mantha and Morin will be long gone. He sees us with Zykov.

WestIslander

Feb 5, 2008
Montreal, Quebec
Why would you want Samuel Morin if we have Subban, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Thrower, Dietz, Nygren and Bennett who are all under 24 years old and either playing in the NHL, NHL ready or will one day be bottom 3 defenseman?

I would go after a forward that plays with an edge, plays NASTY! and can score too or move up and get a Sean Monahan, a comparable to Patrick Marleau/Brendan Shanahan as per some scouts.

Our strength is: Depth on defense
Our weakness is: Physical/Gritty forwards with size

Souffle

A soupçon of nutmeg
Aug 9, 2003
Le Creuset
Visit site
Why would you want Samuel Morin if we have Subban, Emelin, Tinordi, Beaulieu, Ellis, Thrower, Dietz, Nygren and Bennett who are all under 24 years old and either playing in the NHL, NHL ready or will one day be bottom 3 defenseman?

I would go after a forward that plays with an edge, plays NASTY! and can score too or move up and get a Sean Monahan, a comparable to Patrick Marleau/Brendan Shanahan as per some scouts.

Our strength is: Depth on defense
Our weakness is: Physical/Gritty forwards with size

Shanahan? Not sure about that one. The dude was a PF winger who scored 50 goals and got 200 PIMs in a season. That's not Monahan's game, from what I've seen of it. If it was, along with his qualities as a pretty good two-way C, he'd be top ranked or close to it.

Anyway, although I am sceptical when people say, "draft BPA, never for need!" because I think BPA is such an elastic concept that can include preference based on position, I don't think you pass up on the top rated prospect on your draft list just because of his position. If Morin is the top player on Timmins' list at 25, then the Habs just take him.

I just don't think you make your draft list saying: forget defencemen, we have enough of those, let's get a nasty forward! In making your list of best players, I do think there's some room to say, for instance, that a potential top 4 D bruiser with a mean face might or might not be a better prospect than a potential top 6 F smasher with an angry face, all else being equal, but if your list ends with one ahead of the other, then you go with that player on draft day regardless of his position and your immediate roster need.

UpsideHockey

Jan 6, 2004
Calgary, Canada
bit.ly
Here what you're saying WestIslander, but agree with Souffle.

Plus, look at what Pens GM Shero has done - strength in prospects = dmen; what does he draft? Dmen! It's all about leveraging assets and drafting BPA. If you have players ranked equally, then you take the guy based more on need.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
The Habs ought to be able to address their specific future needs by using their multiple picks in the second and third rounds. I'd like them to save their #25 pick for drafting the BPA regardless of position or instead bundle it to move up in the first round.

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
Didn't really follow the prospects this year. Just wanted to know why J.Subban's name isn't cited more often. Is it a given that we draft him with one of our 2nds? Or you guys just don't want him? Thanks for your input guys and keep getting us informed!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->