Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadien Offer Sheet Sebastian Aho (5 Years @ $8.45M) III

Will the Canes match for Sebastian Aho?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
What's the incentive to let those 7 days play out? If they are as confident as they are publicly then waiting 7 days isn't going to hurt the Habs if that's the goal because we can just move on in the meantime knowing a match is coming.

It's been less than 24 hours. Relax. I still don't get why they have to match right away. I'd take my time. Look at everyone speculating...probably most press Canes have received in years! How many people didn't know the owner's name before yesterday?

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
On the other hand, the agent is doing a good job for his client in making the Habs believe Carolina won't match.

We are being used...once again.
The agent's job is to get max money he can for his client. The Habs made a more than generous offer, Aho signed it. I can't blame the player for this. Everyone would do the same.

Carolina matches most likely and the Habs blow it once more. Hopefully, Molson does his homework and hires a competent person as a GM that can sell this town to future UFAs. Someone that has a plan, a direction and committed to bringing the team closer to a Cup, not only making the playoffs.

Reactions: zx81

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Exactly. PP sucks, need a d man and top 6 forward but so are happy Bergevin screwed the canes
If this fails, Bergevin has been left holding the bag
Our team is no better than last year
What hard to understand bout this
If he doesn’t get Aho and does nothing else, how is this considered a good summer?? Because he didn’t over spend on a ufa?
Bergevin has really set the bar low

Our GM never finished high school, he doesn't have any tricks or a master plan for the future. There is no plan B.

znk

Nov 5, 2005
Montreal
How is he losing money? It is an investment! I have some investments and guess what? Sometimes you have to spend more than expected. You ***** about it but the ROI is there so you do it.

Liquidity means NOTHING. He still has access to money. You seriously think he will struggle to come up with that money in a year? C'mon man.
I dont know, you are 100% convinced of something. I am not 100% convinced of anything that's why I'm entertaining all possibilities. You can mount your high horse and look down on everyone that openly discussing this, spew venom at MB that's your prerogative. But you guys need to stop trying to impose your god damn narrow minded view on everyone else. I've watched like 30 minutes of hockey game over the last 3 years. I have no vested interest right so I feel I can look at this objectively and what I see is a good fishing attempt where if you win you win big and lose nearly nothing and if you lose well you lose one week. And I see a bunch of angry people trying to convince other people to be angry. This is so laughably stupid and exactly why I left this board long ago and stopped caring much about hockey. You should try it, feels good.

Reactions: poetryinmotion

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
I'd STILL match and trade him later. If he wants to sit out...fine. I'll trade him in a year for a better package.
Yeah you're most likely right. If I'm a canes fan I'm still concerned even if they match tho, that contract takes him directly to UFA status, plus knowing that he willingly signed to join another team will throw a wrench in their relationship, not to talk about the rest of his teammates...

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
There's that too. I don't see how people think Carolina will be OK with the copmensation and not match. Losing a top tier player in the LEAGUE at 21. Try explaining that to your fanbase. It's bad business. If you really hate the deal, you trade him later and get more back.

If they cant come up with the 21.8M in 12 months, nothing stops them to contact the habs for them to add more in the deal (Suzuki).

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Can these posts be automatically deleted ? Its been debunked many times.

enlighten me I haven't read all of the thread

i'm mostly talking about the other possible offer sheets (point, marner, werenski, etc). Those guys could be signed this week and we miss out on those opportunities by being locked up with Aho

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
This is a brilliant PR move because it work on 3 fronts Fan, players and other team that will all help him in the long run.

1) it is good for fan, he used every trick in the book lack of result isn’t on him now he can continue going about is business of improving the club with less pressure without having to make panic or reaction move.

2) it is good for the players, it prove that the team is going every thing it can to win. Also kind skew reality that no one want to come to Mtl...
The story isn’t Mtl loses out on Duchesne, Lee, Panarin, Simmons, Perry, it is Aho (one of the best young player in the NHL) want to come to Mtl.

3) This offer AAV isn’t out of wack so it can’t be used to inflate other player demand, so he won’t catch to much heat. It also serve has a warning and notice to other teams helping out our rival with cap issue, make sure your house is in order or stay in our lane.
Carolina was riding high with there season and playoff now the damaged will be done even when they match in 7 days.

Braun

Apr 17, 2014
Montreal
block the Canadiens from making any other move to improve their team for 7 days since they now have 8.5M in limbo, and possibly missing out on key players that will get signed this week
Habs have plenty of cap space left to sign whomever since they can go 10% above the cap. If they are so sure Canes will match they can use it as necessary. Also, I think our problems are solved by trade anyways. I don’t see any good UFA options for LD.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
You are trying to convince yourself they won't match by overanalysing their response.

I think that it does not really matter what they say , it won't change MB's actions this week.
I'm mire trying to rebut the notion that it's a slam dunk notion the Canes are matching and are going to hurt the Habs by waiting 7 days to finalize things. Like you said, if that's the case then waiting 7 days wont affect Bergevin's actions during those 7 days.

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
Habs had no choice but to do this. UFAs are shunning the Habs so move the stakes to another territory where no one is playing and where the Habs can wield their economic advantage. Enough subsidizing of sunbelt teams that enjoy mostly favorable tax systems and non-fishbowl settings and that scoop up UFAs for mostly non-hockey related reasons.
I've been saying this for a long time, nobody is making us any favors. Might as well be a villain and flex our financial muscles... Just have to be more proactive in signing our own RFA's, that's pretty much it.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
Habs had no choice but to do this. UFAs are shunning the Habs so move the stakes to another territory where no one is playing and where the Habs can wield their economic advantage. Enough subsidizing of sunbelt teams that enjoy mostly favorable tax systems and non-fishbowl settings and that scoop up UFAs for mostly non-hockey related reasons.

All these excuses. You're aware that the GM could have traded Subban for an impact C, right? Could have traded Sergachev fore than what he got from Drouin. Bergy has plenty of assets to make a trade to acquire talent. Also could have tanked. Could have acquired picks to be able to pick top tier talent. Could have drafted better.

Too many excuses for this guy.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013
enlighten me I haven't read all of the thread

i'm mostly talking about the other possible offer sheets (point, marner, werenski, etc). Those guys could be signed this week and we miss out on those opportunities by being locked up with Aho

If those players want to see what the Habs have offer, they'll just wait the 7 days as well.

Reactions: habsfan891

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
Habs have plenty of cap space left to sign whomever since they can go 10% above the cap. If they are so sure Canes will match they can use it as necessary. Also, I think our problems are solved by trade anyways. I don’t see any good UFA options for LD.

oh yeah I get that, but see above : you can't try another offersheet until this one is done because of the pick situation right? that's what i'm looking at here

if Aho gets matched i'd go straight to point, make the same move... but now we can't for 7 days

Hfbsux

Dec 22, 2012
block the Canadiens from making any other move to improve their team for 7 days since they now have 8.5M in limbo, and possibly missing out on key players that will get signed this week

We still have access to 10% more than the cap space. Nothing is holding is back. We have cap space.

CaptnNemo

Nov 4, 2016
Maybe Dundon is so in the deep financially personally wise that Molson suggested to help him out with no interests in exchange of Aho and knew all about the OS to be the cover for their shady business not hockey related? :badidea::lol:

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
They can go 10% over the cap though. Had the Canes been more coy on their intentions I think they could have affected the Habs plans to a degree. But if they are as confident as they seem then the Habs will just proceed this week as normal as if this are official.

Jack Bauer

May 30, 2007
Cape Breton
In one year he will already have given $21M to the guy. Trading him at this point would be foolish when you just payd half of what hes supposed to make over 5 years.

Yes that would be but if you're the owner and look at it as a 3 year period you could tell your GM to match this then look at how in 2 years time we've acquired some lower real money deals to help balance out the finances from paying Aho.

You could start by sticking Aho in the dessert as pay back to the offer sheet as there's times that's part of the process as well. David Poile was trading Weber from the minute he signed his offer sheet.

You pay the money to protect your assets and organization then look at recouping the money the many ways the CBA allows for over the next few seasons.

Based on the Marleau deal though that franchise isn't near as strapped for cash as everyone seems to think.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
I dont know, you are 100% convinced of something. I am not 100% convinced of anything that's why I'm entertaining all possibilities. You can mount your high horse and look down on everyone that openly discussing this, spew venom at MB that's your prerogative. But you guys need to stop trying to impose your god damn narrow minded view on everyone else. I've watched like 30 minutes of hockey game over the last 3 years. I have no vested interest right so I feel I can look at this objectively and what I see is a good fishing attempt where if you win you win big and lose nearly nothing and if you lose well you lose one week. And I see a bunch of angry people trying to convince other people to be angry. This is so laughably stupid and exactly why I left this board long ago and stopped caring much about hockey. You should try it, feels good.

How is he losing money is my question. I'm waiting on the answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad