Confirmed with Link: Montreal Canadien Offer Sheet Sebastian Aho (5 Years @ $8.45M) III

Will the Canes match for Sebastian Aho?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
He aint in this to lose money though, just spent 4 mill to get a pick, just lost $70 million on his football venture. And now he needs to dish out more cash or get picks. Net worth does not mean liquidity. It all hinges on how important this is to him.

How is he losing money? It is an investment! I have some investments and guess what? Sometimes you have to spend more than expected. You bitch about it but the ROI is there so you do it.

Liquidity means NOTHING. He still has access to money. You seriously think he will struggle to come up with that money in a year? C'mon man.

Reactions: zx81

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
The thing that should concern Carolina is if, after paying Aho $21 million next year, he then demands to be traded.

Reactions: cphabs

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
What he means and I agree, is that the offer is too focussed on the penalty (signing bonus) and not enough on the reward (compensation).

This offer has a ridiculous compensation and can not be not matched by the Canes.

It only works if they can make a side deal to sweeten the OS.
It should be focused on the money, that is one if the strengths of our franchise. Not using that strength to our advantage wouldn't be foolish imo. I'm all for making a side deal to make it happen if need be, but that initial offer was bang on.

Some teams in the States can use their tax system to gain an advantage, some teams can use their bank account and revenue. Until/if it becomes more of a fair system, you have to use the advantages presented to you imo.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Duchene just signed with Nashville after teasing Montreal with hope last week -- do we imagine Bergevin is pissed at Poile for out maneuvering him on that player? Of course not, because every GM knows the UFA market is an aggressive game of poker. You try, you bid, but sometimes the other guy beats you. Offer sheets are part of the same poker game; it's just a move we don't see often. I don't see any reason why any GM or owner should suddenly start taking things personally.

As to the offer sheet itself, I get the logic of targeting the owner and cash flow instead of the team budget. Carolina could've matched a higher cap hit; the huge bonus might be the only thing that'll make them pause. Or at least consider a secondary deal to even things out. Am I optimistic? No. But it's entertaining as hell!

I don't think UFA signings and offer sheets are even remotely comparable, personally.

if you follow the thread of the post you are quoting, my comments were in reply to the idea that offer sheets are taboo & that their impact on the overall market for RFA's being affected as a result is what GM's would take issue with.

earlier posters also commented on the "gentleman's agreement" btw GM's not to offer sheet (which Bob Mac cited as why he was certain there wouldn't be any) and that MB's offer sheet somehow "changes the game"...

in any case, the extent to which there are any repercussions, visible or behind the scenes, is not something that will be objectively quantifiable. The case that the structure of the offer sheet is a strong move because it directly targets the owner is, imo, far overstated and, if accurate, certainly could create ill will that has wider ranging impacts.

Absolutely agree that it adds entertainment... though sadly, i get the distinct impression that this, rather than any actual concrete plan to improve our situation, was a big motivator for our inept GM. I'd rather he be focused on cultivating excellence for our organization, than playing silly PR stunt games, which this move reeks of imo. I would love to be proven wrong by the Canes not matching, but the odds of that seem, at this point, slim to none.

CauZuki

Feb 19, 2008
Which he did.

Lets be real here, on July 1, there was no UFA forward on the market that would have appreciably improved Montreal. They have 2nd, 3rd and 4th line guys, and young, high-potential players they need to make room for (if not for next season, then the year after).

The only UFA that might actually help them to a meaningful degree next season is Gardiner, who is still out there. And Carolina can sit on the offersheet all they want, if Montreal wants Gardiner they can still offer a competitive offer right now.

The worst case scenario cap-wise is that they sign Gardiner, Carolina doesn't match the offer-sheet, and Montreal is forced to move a Lehkonen/Byron at well below market value. That's a pretty fantastic situation to be in.

I never advocated signing overpriced UFAs, I commended Bergevin for not comitting (so far) to such ridiculous contracts for non-star players. I just find the offer sheet strategy doesn't help us or isn't a real possibility as many here make it seem.

The real power move is success and tangible results not PR stunts. There is nothing bold about making an offer where we have nearly nothing to lose and the chances of it succeeding are beyond slim to none.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
The scariest thing in all of this is how many fans Bergevin won back with this silly move. We need this guy out asap. Yesterday is the ultimate proof we won't win squat with him in the fold.

Prendan Brust

Jul 31, 2003
Québec
That would be stupid of Carolina to not match Bergevin's offer. The message it would send to the players, the fans and even the management (as I understand Dundon has the final word) could have disastrous effects. Unless there are some information we're not privy of, I think that was merely a PR move from Bergevin to show how desperate he is to get the team some help. I cannot believe he didn't know this offer sheet had about 100% chance of being matched (unless again there is some information we're not privy of).

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
The other thing that doesn't make much sense is how confident Waddell and the Canes PR are. They wre acting like it's a slam dunk match. Well if you really want to mess with the Habs you dont say that publicly, you make them wait 7 days and be unpredictable.

If what they're saying is true, it makes no sense to wait out 7 days because Bergevin knows a match is coming so he can just move on. The smart move would have been for the Canes to keep quiet and let the clock run out.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
In a years time he can trade Aho or others for assets making higher cap hits then dollars owed to earn some of his money back from this deal.

There's that too. I don't see how people think Carolina will be OK with the copmensation and not match. Losing a top tier player in the LEAGUE at 21. Try explaining that to your fanbase. It's bad business. If you really hate the deal, you trade him later and get more back.

ChikN

Sep 1, 2010
Montréal
The thing that should concern Carolina is if, after paying Aho $21 million next year, he then demands to be traded.
That's the only way we get him. If he tells them that no matter what he is done with the Hurricanes, I wonder if they still sign him.... Maybe the habs know something about his relationship with his team that we don't...

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
The other thing that doesn't make much sense is how confident Waddell and the Canes PR are. They wre acting like it's a slam dunk match. Well if you really want to mess with the Habs you dont say that publicly, you make them wait 7 days and be unpredictable.

If what they're saying is true, it makes no sense to wait out 7 days because Bergevin knows a match is coming so he can just move on. The smart move would have been for the Canes to keep quiet and let the clock run out.

Where is there the rush to match? They have 7 days.

hockeyfan2k18

Feb 11, 2018
That's the only way we get him. If he tells them that no matter what he is done with the Hurricanes, I wonder if they still sign him.... Maybe the habs know something about his relationship with his team that we don't...

I'd STILL match and trade him later. If he wants to sit out...fine. I'll trade him in a year for a better package.

Andrei79

Jan 25, 2013

Likely has to do with sending out a public message to the ticket buyers.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You and me both. I'm excited that we would even try such a thing. **** playing nice, it's time for us to get ours.

Habs had no choice but to do this. UFAs are shunning the Habs so move the stakes to another territory where no one is playing and where the Habs can wield their economic advantage. Enough subsidizing of sunbelt teams that enjoy mostly favorable tax systems and non-fishbowl settings and that scoop up UFAs for mostly non-hockey related reasons.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Not true.

If MB offered $10.5m, that would directly affect the entire league's market structure and salaries of top 6 forwards. This would in turn affect the salaries of Habs players up for new contracts in the coming years (Domi, KK etc) and makes it more challenging for MB to manage the cap. Aho's salary wouldn't be the only one to increase by roughly 20%.

I don't understand why it's so hard for people to understand that the Habs attacked the Hurricanes owner's ability/desire to pay $21m to Aho in the next 12 months. The Canes aren't a cap team and an extra $2m per year over the course of the contract wouldn't be a big issue for them.

Also you can't say the Habs ability to try to sign other free agents is paralyzed for 7 days. They still went hard after Anders Lee.

If the Canes match it, no big deal for the Habs. Habs roster doesn't change and GMs outside of Carolina won't be mad at MB because he didn't do anything that affects their ability to re-sign their star players in terms of salary. This is not like when Kevin Lowe and the Oilers signed RFA Dustin Penner to a ridiculous contract that impacted all teams salary structures.

Perhaps you missed that Matthews recently signed, as an RFA, for 11.6M$

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
What's the incentive to let those 7 days play out? If they are as confident as they are publicly then waiting 7 days isn't going to hurt the Habs if that's the goal because we can just move on in the meantime knowing a match is coming.

block the Canadiens from making any other move to improve their team for 7 days since they now have 8.5M in limbo, and possibly missing out on key players that will get signed this week

Justsayin

Jul 2, 2019
I'd STILL match and trade him later. If he wants to sit out...fine. I'll trade him in a year for a better package.
Sure, and Carolina will probably do that. But in my view that is the pressure point. Is the owner willing to pay $21 mill to a player who is going to want out in a year? Probably - but maybe not.

zx81

Aug 2, 2005

You are trying to convince yourself they won't match by overanalysing their response.

I think that it does not really matter what they say , it won't change MB's actions this week.

donghabs98

Oct 14, 2010
Halifax
Likely has to do with sending out a public message to the ticket buyers.
That's my impression too but if that's the case, why not just quickly match and get things over with. That's the historical precedent afterall (not the popular fan notion that GMs like to screw with other teams for offer sheets).

ForeverHabs97

May 11, 2013
Canada
How is he with the Canes salary? He's only signed one major player (TT) and got rid of a couple useless staff players during his year as the owner.

Him losing 250m and then buying a 1st for 4.5m also speaks volume of how deep his pockets are.
Many have pointed out Canes have no salary bonuses on any of their players. The biggest one is like smaller than 100K, might also be the only one.

You said it yourself; they only signed one major player in my recent memory (TT).
They can't keep their star players, Lindholm was traded as a rfa Iirc... Signed a six year 4.5M$ AAV.. Skinner was traded a year/2 yrs left on his contract... Doesn't that smell like someone is trying to cut player salary as much as possible? Eugene Melnyk/Sens but just not as obvious or as bad? Plus Carolina is a small market compared to Ott, they might never see a profit again for while this contract plays out.

Plus signing Aho opens up the door for future RFAs on the Canes so that they're gonna want that pay day Aho got. If they let the flood gates open now they ain't gonna close it after so easily.

Dundon's rumoured investing patterns by what I've read from HF posts is something to consider, along with how he's lost like 250M$ + lawsuit just this spring for trying to make it viable, but actually destroying the league and the players salaries/hockey ops. We don't know what else he's got going on behind the scenes... And even if its a penny for him will he spend it? I actually believe he likely won't. Just my opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad