Proposal: Montreal and Florida

Beendair Donedat

Punk in Drublic
Dec 29, 2010
Truth or Consequences, NM
To Montreal: Nick Bjugstad, 2018 1st round pick, 2019 2nd round pick

To Florida: Max Pacioretty

Why each team does this - the Habs desperately need some big bodies and centers up front and Bjugstad fits both of those categories. He’s a right handed shot and would slot in nicely as a second line center for the Habs. Florida is rich in centers and center prospects, but need help scoring and Pacioretty would thrive in that lineup, and fill that need nicely.

Thoughts?

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Easy pass. We don't need Patches. He's a nice to have though.

We're not going to trade all of that for a guy who has one year left and then will be getting a large contract.

That would be a package better used for a top 4/borderline top pair d-man which is a need.
I would assume it would a sign and trade, with Pacioretty locked up at around 6 million.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
I would assume it would a sign and trade, with Pacioretty locked up at around 6 million.
Eh, don't think we'd be interested and I think he gets more than 6 million a year. The contract would probably be at least 5-6 years long.

Bjugstad is a more affordable option and although he won't produce as much on the RW, his production is good enough. Plus we get to keep our first and second.

Reactions: Laus723 and klabob

jfhabs

May 21, 2015

This and good luck getting a borderline top pairing D signed long term for that.
Saying we don't need Patches with the pieces already in place and the fact they missed the playoffs is a bit like saying we don't need to make the playoffs imo :sarcasm:

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
I thought Florida had a bigger need at W than D? Anyway, this is very close value wise to what the Habs will get for him.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
This and good luck getting a borderline top pairing D signed long term for that.
Saying we don't need Patches with the pieces already in place and the fact they missed the playoffs is a bit like saying we don't need to make the playoffs imo :sarcasm:
We have Keith Yandle signed for that, lol

The team in the first half was markedly different than the team in the second half of the season.

Reactions: klabob

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

We were 14th in GF, with a better start to the year probably would have been top 10. We need a veteran defenseman more than Patches, it's been beaten to death around here but yet here we are again. Feels like the 10th thread of Patches going to FLA for a price Tallon will not pay especially giving up his adopted son in Nick Bjugstad :sarcasm:

As for OP, it's an easy no from a FLA fan.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
We were 14th in GF, with a better start to the year probably would have been top 10. We need a veteran defenseman more than Patches, it's been beaten to death around here but yet here we are again. Feels like the 10th thread of Patches going to FLA for a price Tallon will not pay especially giving up his adopted son in Nick Bjugstad :sarcasm:

As for OP, it's an easy no from a FLA fan.

Why do you think Talon loves Bjugstad? He seems pretty average and mostly benefiting from Barkov/Huberdeau from what I've seen.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
You can keep bjugstad and drop the 2nd. i'd be fine with something like
1st and Heponiemi wich i feel is fair from both parties!

Basicly the mid first who can maybe give us a shot at Veleno, Hayton or Lunderstrom and a project in Heponiemi

Florida obviously gets a Elite Complimentary goal scorer wich kinda fit like a glove with this Center depth.
Pacioretty would be trilled to play in florida as he have familly, spends most of his summer there and obviously the low imposition would likely make him take a discount!

Of course if im florida i only do this deal if Montreal lets me talk to Pacioretty for an extension that makes sense!

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Why do you think Talon loves Bjugstad? He seems pretty average and mostly benefiting from Barkov/Huberdeau from what I've seen.
Doesn't sound like you've seen much because he was a good complimentary piece playing with Dadonov and Barkov. Not Huberdeau.

He protected him in the expansion draft over March and Smith. He is a big fan of "his guys" and always liked Bjugstad.

He put up 48 points with a good chunk of his games not playing on the top line. But when he was on the top line, he was doing a nice job of producing offense. He's a top 6 guy with consistent effort.

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
You can keep bjugstad and drop the 2nd. i'd be fine with something like
1st and Heponiemi wich i feel is fair from both parties!

Basicly the mid first who can maybe give us a shot at Veleno, Hayton or Lunderstrom and a project in Heponiemi

Florida obviously gets a Elite Complimentary goal scorer wich kinda fit like a glove with this Center depth.
Pacioretty would be trilled to play in florida as he have familly, spends most of his summer there and obviously the low imposition would likely make him take a discount!

Of course if im florida i only do this deal if Montreal lets me talk to Pacioretty for an extension that makes sense!
Hepo is only a project in that he needs to put on some weight. More that you'll be acquiring an asset that is probably at least a year away from the start of next season to having a legit shot at the NHL. He may surprise this year but he is very light.

Again, we don't need Patches and he will bring a significant cap hit. If he were to be acquired, we need to move a contract, imo.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
FLA has Dadonov and Huberdeau as LW who both had better years than Patches this year. don't think FLA needs another top 6 LW at that cost.

Reactions: ThePatientPanther

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Hepo is only a project in that he needs to put on some weight. More that you'll be acquiring an asset that is probably at least a year away from the start of next season to having a legit shot at the NHL. He may surprise this year but he is very light.

Again, we don't need Patches and he will bring a significant cap hit. If he were to be acquired, we need to move a contract, imo.
Wich was my point, his weight is kind of a long shot from the NHL right now. Even if the league is changing he's still under 150lbs. gaining weight just to gain weight is uneffective, working on body strenght and naturally gaining weight slowly is the way to go for me for NHLers, He's the type of prospect i'd like to not rush, play an other junior year and than an 2 years in the AHL. ( thats my opinion)

TheImpatientPanther

Florida Flukin Panthers > LTIR Maple Leafs
Jan 17, 2013
Ontario, Canada

RainingRats summed it up nicely below. Inside joke with FLA fans that Tallon drools over Nicks build or any player with size, skill and character.
If we trade Bjugstad, we lose a fair bit of experience and depth on RW. Only way I see him is gone is packaged with a 1st and Pysyk/Petrovic for a top 4 defenseman or when Tippett has made him expendable.

Reactions: RainingRats

RainingRats

Dec 28, 2008
Wich was my point, his weight is kind of a long shot from the NHL right now. Even if the league is changing he's still under 150lbs. gaining weight just to gain weight is uneffective, working on body strenght and naturally gaining weight slowly is the way to go for me for NHLers, He's the type of prospect i'd like to not rush, play an other junior year and than an 2 years in the AHL. ( thats my opinion)
Not really. The easiest thing to do to become an NHL player is put on weight. He has all the necessary on paper skills and talent. He probably needs to put on 15-20 pounds. Very doable in a year with two summers if he focuses on that. He will never be a big guy. There are enough small guys whose size does not hinder them, Gaudreau and Marner immediately come to mind.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
Doesn't sound like you've seen much because he was a good complimentary piece playing with Dadonov and Barkov. Not Huberdeau.

He protected him in the expansion draft over March and Smith. He is a big fan of "his guys" and always liked Bjugstad.

He put up 48 points with a good chunk of his games not playing on the top line. But when he was on the top line, he was doing a nice job of producing offense. He's a top 6 guy with consistent effort.

Yes, well 55% of his production was playing with Barkov and Dadonov and 22% from playing with Barkov and Huberdeau. 5vs5 prod.

Still think he is pretty average and mostly a good complimentary player at best, mostly feeding off of his teammates offensively. Injury prone and perimeter player, does have good shot, skating and size (reach mostly)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->