Confirmed with Link: Montreal Acquires Mike Reilly from Minnesota for a 2019 5th Round Pick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
So MB plans on entering the Habs in the Ice Capades? Maybe Reilly will be different from all the other slugs he brought in. But if I had to go by past history (Beaulieu, Nestrov, Barberio, Davidson, Morrow, Schlemko, Jerabek, Alzner just since last season) Reilly will probably be another one of his projects that does diddley squat.

You can look at it that way, but I can't help myself to hope that we might someday hit an homerun. Some people are pessimistic I guess, and some are overly optimistic like myself.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
OK, so .... back to the Mike Reilly trade... Montreal sent a 5th round pick, 2019.
Yes, this.

This is a thread about Mike Reilly. Not about Bergevin, or about Sergachev or Drouin. Keep it on topic. We have plenty of other posts if you want to discuss other players or players from other teams.

Consider this a warning.

Reactions: Fixxer

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Reilly makes 720K through next year. Perfect depth D on a team with playoff aspirations...so I Ask you...why did Minnesota trade a player who cost very little, could provide depth during a deep playoff run? In other words....he brought so little to Minnesota that they jettisoned him even though there was no need. Another worthless trade.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Reilly makes 720K through next year. Perfect depth D on a team with playoff aspirations...so I Ask you...why did Minnesota trade a player who cost very little, could provide depth during a deep playoff run? In other words....he brought so little to Minnesota that they jettisoned him even though there was no need. Another worthless trade.
If we are looking glass-half-full, I read an article on The Athletic written by a reporter covering the Wild. Essentially, the Wild feel they have other young D, and basically wanted to give Reilly a chance elsewhere since it wasn't going to be with them. Quote from Chuck Fletcher:

“I think at some point it's important to do the right thing (for Reilly). If it's not going to work here, we needed to give him a chance to get his career going.”

Now your general point is still valid, if Reilly were a really super-duper prospect I'm sure Minnesota would wait it out and their noble approach to Reilly's career development is probably tinged with the idea that they'd give him a shot elsewhere but don't expect him to amount to anything.

As Hab fans we just watch this wheel of 6th-7th-8thD coming and going and hard to imagine that this guy will hit where Barberio, Davidson, Nesterov, Redmond, Benn, Schlemko, Morrow, Streit, Alzner, and Jerabek all failed. But at least I'd like to see this guy goddamn play. I don't need to see any more of Schlemko, Benn, and Alzner to know that they are all useless and should all be in a pressbox rotation.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

More than likely for the same reasons we got Benn and Schlemko for nothing despite them being signed to relatively cheap contract. Wilds GM simply thinks he has 7 guys better than him.

I mean i don't understand why people expect anything from a guy we got for a 5th round pick. It's not like he's young. He will be 25 in july. He might be the next Gorges but it's much more likely he's just an okay depth guy like Benn is. He's younger than Benn there's that but he's probably not a solution to solve out defense problems.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
More than likely for the same reasons we got Benn and Schlemko for nothing despite them being signed to relatively cheap contract. Wilds GM simply think he has 7 guys better than him.

I mean i don't understand why people expect anything from a guy we got for a 5th round pick. It's not like he's young. He will be 25 in july. He might be the next Gorges but it's much more likely he's just an okay depth guy like Benn is. He's younger than Benn there's that but he's probably not a solution to solve out defense problems.
Agree....but when we send Jerabek for a 5th, you'd swear we sent Bobby Orr

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
You can look at it that way, but I can't help myself to hope that we might someday hit an homerun. Some people are pessimistic I guess, and some are overly optimistic like myself.

You don't hit a home run from curve balls hitting the ground before the plate. And that's what the likes of Benn, Schlemko and Reilly are.

They are not bad players. They can play a role on a 3rd pairing or as a 7th dmen. But that's about it.

What you want is not to hit a home run. You want to win the loto. It's possible but winning the loto should never be part of any plan.

cap10bfl

Apr 18, 2007
Laval, Qc
I don't care about the low risk with potential of high return moves and I actually think Bergevin is good at this. I really do think any GM in the city of Montreal is going to have a hard time getting impact players to sign with us. We got lucky with Radulov and we should of signed him to a 3+ year contract instead of a prove it one year contract. The GM in Montreal (whoever that is moving forward) needs to focus on draft picks and not trade them away. This is really our only way we are going to address the holes in our line-up. The Hero or Zero evaluation from the fan base and tax situation turns a lot of players away.

It's better to build through the draft and we are doing that but it takes time. Moving forward, it's pretty simple. Trade Vets on expiring contracts and draft, draft, draft. We are turning the corner with our prospect pool but we lack grade A prospects. We need to do well in the next draft with the picks we have and cross your fingers the draft is deep like they say it is.... deep enough that gems slip into the 2nd round!

I don't care about Patch and his family. He has been a good player for us but he has bailed when we need him. Trade him on draft day please. He is not giving us a home town discount on his next contract. Forget about it. He is going to say all the right things to the media but he is not happy with how he has been treated but too bad for him. We need a captain that can lead us, not disappear when we need him.
how is streit hemsky pap semin high returns?

they were all past their due date everyone saw it except Mb

c'mon man

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->