Post-Game Talk: Montreal 3 Detroit 2: a forward finally scores

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
look who he has to play with...the habs have like 2 nhl dmen. him and shea. lol
A prototypical #1 doesn't need a partner to help. Weber looks good no matter who's by his side. Same was true of Pk. Same was true of Markov back in the days too.

If Petry needs a good D by his side to make him look better, then he ain't a #1.

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
A prototypical #1 doesn't need a partner to help. Weber looks good no matter who's by his side. Same was true of Pk. Same was true of Markov back in the days too.

If Petry needs a good D by his side to make him look better, then he ain't a #1.
i said first pairing, i didn't say #1. there's a clear difference.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010

He could play top 2 minutes easy as long as he’s not the one relied to do the heavy lifting. But I guess you could say that about a lot of guys. I do agree tho that he’s your prototypical #3 defenseman. And it’s a shame Bergevin made such a mess of things because having the two top 1-3 right handed defenseman is huge asset for any team.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
Drouin should sit out a couple games, he is totally useless and invisible out there.

Reactions: Habs Icing

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
By first pairing I assumed you meant the guy the lead that pair..seeing how #4Dmen often find themselves playing next to a #1.

IMO:
#1 dman = norris calibre minute eating all purpose dmen that are generally good at everything. This is subban.

top pairing dman (a #2) = play a lot of minutes, highly proficient in one area (offense or defense) and mediocre to decent in another (offense or defense). This is petry. Strong on the offensive side, decent on the defensive side of things.

middle pair dman (#3-#4) = middling minutes. average to good on both sides of the ice or strong at one area and poor in another.

to me, petry checks off the box for a top pairing dman this season.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
IMO:
#1 dman = norris calibre minute eating all purpose dmen that are generally good at everything. This is subban.

top pairing dman (a #2) = play a lot of minutes, highly proficient in one area (offense or defense) and mediocre to decent in another (offense or defense). This is petry. Strong on the offensive side, decent on the defensive side of things.

middle pair dman (#3-#4) = middling minutes. average to good on both sides of the ice or strong at one area and poor in another.

to me, petry checks off the box for a top pairing dman this season.
To me Hammer was a #2, and Markov later in his career. Those guys couldn't take on full loads over an entire season but they can handle their own.
Petry is a notch below imo. His defensive game isnt strong enough.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
Hmm..No, not really. If Petry gets top pairing usage he starts to look a lot worse.
You say that because as a top defencemen on the Habs he has had to play with #7 & #8 partners. With most teams he would be playing with #2s or maybe at worst #3s.

Habs Icing

Formerly Onice
Jan 17, 2004
Montreal
he was talking to himself out there
No, he wasn't. He was talking to his invisible friends. You know, the ones that helped him make those saves.

That's one way we can go. Another is:

If you were the Habs' goalie you would be talking to yourself too. The only reason Price doesn't is because he doesn't bother with store bought drugs. He has the good stuff from down Mexico way.

Censored Toad

Most Records Shattered as GM of the Habs!
Aug 8, 2016
Drouin should sit out a couple games, he is totally useless and invisible out there.

He appears to be a like a roller coaster.. up and down etc.....
He should have been disciplined earlier in the season but it didn't happen. It won't happen now. :(

Reactions: Habs

Man Purse

Dec 16, 2010
wind river valley
No, he wasn't. He was talking to his invisible friends. You know, the ones that helped him make those saves.

That's one way we can go. Another is:

If you were the Habs' goalie you would be talking to yourself too. The only reason Price doesn't is because he doesn't bother with store bought drugs. He has the good stuff from down Mexico way.
giphy.gif

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
He appears to be a like a roller coaster.. up and down etc.....
He should have been disciplined earlier in the season but it didn't happen. It won't happen now. :(
If we are truly serious about the types of players that we want on our roster going forward I can't see a scenario where he is someone we intend to keep. He will continue to show a flash here and there(only when he feels like it) and that's not near enough.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Petry is a 2nd pairing guy. That's where he is best ustilized.

This.

Sometimes he looks like a top pairing guy, other times (like vs Minnesota) like a bottom pairing guy.

Outside of Weber, Markov was the last guy we had who was a true top pairing guy, even in his last legs, his offensive and defensive acumen/proficiency were what defines top pairing, and Petry don't come close to that. (even though he's most probably one of the top-10 best skating D in the league)

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If we are truly serious about the types of players that we want on our roster going forward I can't see a scenario where he is someone we intend to keep. He will continue to show a flash here and there(only when he feels like it) and that's not near enough.
I'm divided on this. Drouin frustrates the hell out of me, so part of me wants to send him to his room without supper. Plus, the perception -- rightly or wrongly -- that he's pampered in this city adds to the desire to trade his ass outta here.

But on the other hand, he's got the single most coveted quality: Talent. We poke fun at Bergevin for choosing character over talent; well, Drouin's the poster boy for talent over character. He might be the perfect test case for how a player can be mentored into becoming a star.

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
I'm divided on this. Drouin frustrates the hell out of me, so part of me wants to send him to his room without supper. Plus, the perception -- rightly or wrongly -- that he's pampered in this city adds to the desire to trade his ass outta here.

But on the other hand, he's got the single most coveted quality: Talent. We poke fun at Bergevin for choosing character over talent; well, Drouin's the poster boy for talent over character. He might be the perfect test case for how a player can be mentored into becoming a star.
I'm not overly disappointed with Drouin, he is what I expected. Problem is if he's who you count on to lead your team, you'll never win.

Reactions: Censored Toad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->