Montoya vs. Dubnyk vs. Schwarz

Status
Not open for further replies.

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
guitaraholic said:
Can I read? Gee, I don't know, son. Can you be more childish?

And I doubt "most" posters here have seen ALL of these guys play at least a couple of times. Matter of fact I bet you've never seen Schwarz play. Still wouldn't stop you from offering up an opinion on something you pretty obviously have absolute no clue about. If that's what you're all about, go right ahead, kiddo.

Actually I've seen them all play, I've seen Dubnyk twice, Schwartz twice, and Montoya twice. That's not all I go by when grading prospects though, I include all the things I've read on them too, which gives me an idea of each goalie and their upside. And I bet most people have seen Schwarz play, he was playing for the Czech team at the WJC and that is televised so it was pretty easy to see him.

Personally I think all three are very good prospects, and I would'nt doubt that all of them make it to the NHL and at least one of them becomes a star.

ktownhockey

Mar 29, 2004
Ontario canada
guitaraholic said:
every single one of you that offers your opinions on these players should also come clean with how often (if ever) you've seen any of them play. Like I said before, most of you guys haven't seen these guys enough to make any kind of judgement. And none of you know any better than professional scouts and scouting services, IMO. Sorry, don't mean to be rude, just being honest.

I've seen scwartz play about 3 times

Montoya at least 3

and Dubnyk about 2
I think that's fair to comment on them.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
IMO, Schwarz was the better of the 3 goalies in pure talent and skill... all he has to develop is the mindset

montoya to me is like mike richter... a gamer when everything is on the line...

dubnyk has alot of developing to do still.. improve his quickness (something schwarz has) but the fact that the guy is so huge will be helpful when he comes into the league

all 3 are solid goalies... but schwarz has the bigger upside IMO

c-carp

Mar 3, 2002
Illinois
Visit site
chriss_co said:
IMO, Schwarz was the better of the 3 goalies in pure talent and skill... all he has to develop is the mindset

montoya to me is like mike richter... a gamer when everything is on the line...

dubnyk has alot of developing to do still.. improve his quickness (something schwarz has) but the fact that the guy is so huge will be helpful when he comes into the league

all 3 are solid goalies... but schwarz has the bigger upside IMO
Good clip in your Avatar. Is that the Phaneauf on Olesz hit. He sure smoked him :yo: :yo:

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
c-carp said:
Good clip in your Avatar. Is that the Phaneauf on Olesz hit. He sure smoked him :yo: :yo:
Olesz is right, it wasn't a clean hit, it was an elbow.

Last edited by a moderator:

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Broadway Crosby said:
Olesz is right, it wasn't a clean it, it was an elbow.

Uh.. if anything that picture proves it WASNT an elbow.
phaneuf.jpg

Its tucked right in...

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
dem said:
Uh.. if anything that picture proves it WASNT an elbow.
phaneuf.jpg

Its tucked right in...
That's because his body went into Olesz AFTER he laid the elbow on him. Look a little more closely. Anyway, let's get back to the subject.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
Uh.. thats hardly what I would call an elbow.
but whatever...

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Broadway Crosby said:
That's because his body went into Olesz AFTER he laid the elbow on him. Look a little more closely. Anyway, let's get back to the subject.

Dude, the hit was as clean as soap.

The point where Phaneuf made contact with Olesz his elbow was tucked in.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Broadway Crosby said:

His elbow is clearly hitting Olesz in the chest in the first picture and tucked in for the second. You don't get cleaner or better hits than that. Anyone stating otherwise is wearing Olesz Goggles.

Le Golie

Jul 4, 2002
Back to the subject at hand. I've seen Montoya and Schwarz each about 4 times and Dubnyk twice. Right now to me it's:

Schwarz
Montoya
Dubnyk

Down the road it will be:

Schwarz
Dubnyk
Montoya

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
Don't need to call me an idiot and a moron for having a different opinion. I saw something you didn't, big deal. I think that it was a dirty hit, and the refs at the WJ's agreed with me.

Last edited by a moderator:

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Broadway Crosby said:
Don't need to call me an idiot and a moron for having a different opinion. I saw something you didn't, big deal. I think that it was a dirty hit, and the refs at the WJ's agreed with me.

Dirty because why?

He hit him with an elbow?

The picture shows evidence that dismisses that fact.

So why else was it dirty?

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Hydroponic Harold, this is a warning for personal attacks as well as having a drug related avatar. The avatar and the offending post have been deleted. Please follow HFboards guidelines.

X-SHARKIE

Schwarz 3 times. Montoya dozen of times. Dubnyk twice.

Most NHL ready goaltender at the moment is likely Schwarz IMO. He's been facing grown men in the Czech elite league, not to mention he's the quickest goaltender.

Although some well say Montoya plays more of a NHL game compared to Schwarz, witch is true, it comes down to if he can stop the puck, and right now Schwarz is the #1 guy out of all three with little second thought. But I think the gap between Schwarz and Montoya is not as big as most think it out to be. I think Montoya is a better goaltender prospect then most of you are giving him credit for.

I still think Montoya's upside is getting dogged in this thread. I expect him to be a better goaltender then Dubnyk down the road. IMO here is the basics of these guys.

Marek Schwarz: Simply put, the best goaltender, I love his agressiveness, his confidence, coolness, his head for the game, most of all though it's his reflexes. He makes alot of saves he shouldn't. He's a big game goaltender, plays best when his teams needs him to. The way he plays out so far on his angles and still kicks the puck to the corner some times blows me away. He is going to be a star. He'll make some bone headed plays trying to handle the puck likely, but he'll make up for it by stealing games and making saves he shouldn't ever have. The thing that worries me about Schwarz is that he seems to aggressive at times, and his style could lead to some troubles in the NHL. No one can deny his reflexes, and amazing lateral movement. He can make saves that no other goalie can but untill he learns to keep the simple saves simple, and use the least amount of movement possible, he'll get burned for rebounds and by the playmakers there are in the NHL. Still, no one can teach what he has, and the things he needs to work on can be in fact..Worked on....A good goaltender coach and patience could warp Schwarz into an absolute star in the NHL.

Alvaro Montoya: I love this guy as a prospect and dont' get me wrong, I think we'll be seeing him in a few all star games in his career possibly. What sets Montoya apart from the other three is his mental composer, along with his all around well knowing of how to be a pro goaltender. He's extremely competitive and LOVES THE BIG GAMES. He reminds me so much of Marty Turco it's almost scarey. In fact he's better then Marty was back in the mid 90's. I have seen him play alot in Michigan then I saw him play the WJC's. He's more of a calm and smart goaltender compared to Schwarz, witch well help his chances in the NHL. I think Schwarz needs to calm down his agressivness at times, where as Montoya is the kind of goalie that well make saves look simple and stick to what he's supposed to do. He seems to be a well coached goaltender, when I watch him, he always grades well, he really seems to know what he's supposed to do in every situation. He's got this composer and calmness that really helps out his defenders. They never have to worry about what he's going to do or what he wants you to. The way he thinks the game is very underated, and well help him alot.

Devan seems to be a Brian Burke carboard cut out. Although he seems to be alot more straite to the shooter on the angles. He doesn't have the lateral movement of the other two, witch he needs to work on, but he's no slouch, he's got quick hands, and really is a fundamentally sound goaltender. I saw him in one game completely steal the game. So he can steal a game for you much like his two partners.

All three goalies grade out very well when I watch them and I project all three to make the bigs.

Some people may say i'm two high on all three, but this draft was great for goaltenders, just because there is no hype train like Fleury had last year, and the fact that aside from goaltenders this was a average draft year, shouldn't take away from three great prospects and the fact that it was one subpurb goaltender class. I expect big things from Montoya and Schwarz, and I wouldn't be least surprised to see Dubnyk put together a very succesfull career for him self.

What's also funny about these three goaltenders is the similarities they share with some great goaltenders. Marek Schwarz is very much like Hasek, Montoya is very much like Mike Richter, I mean Montoya just seems to be born to play for the Rangers. Also a very good goaltender in Sean Burke compares well to Devan Dubnyk.
This thread also doesn't point out the great goaltenders like Shantz, Glass, Peters, Greiss, Churchill, Brown ect. ect. who were selected in this draft.

chriss_co

Mar 6, 2004
CALGARY
Broadway Crosby said:
Olesz is right, it wasn't a clean hit, it was an elbow.

lol

i like how my avatar changed the topic of this thread!!

but then again it took me awhile to make so i guess its worth it

clean hit or not (IMO it was clean) olesz got PHANEUFED!

BrettNYR

Mar 26, 2004
chriss_co said:
lol

i like how my avatar changed the topic of this thread!!

but then again it took me awhile to make so i guess its worth it

clean hit or not (IMO it was clean) olesz got PHANEUFED!
Thanks for not calling me an idiot, and only stating your opinion. Yeah, I have to agree, Olesz got PHANEUFED!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad