Montoya vs. Dubnyk vs. Schwarz

Status
Not open for further replies.

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site
How would you rank these three goalies in order of who is better now, and also who will be better in the future. I have only seen Montoya and Schwarz play during the WJC for their respective countries. I have never seen Dubnyk play though, I am really hoping for a Dubnyk to play for Canada at this years WJC. That way I could see first hand, even if it is limited exposure, how these goalies stack up against each other in a pressure packed situation.

If any of you have seen these goalies play please feel free to describe how they play and a quick scouting report would be great.

NYRGoalieGlut*

Can anyone tell me more about Dubnyk? Like where he plays, his style? All I know is that he's 6'5.

NYRGoalieGlut*

Captain Conservative said:
I see it this way:

Now:

Schwarz
Montoya
Dubnyk

Potential:

Schwarz
Dubnyk
Montoya

R u an Oilers fan? At least u seem honest (not that I agree, just that u obviously like Shwarz better than the other two, now and in the future and u'r not putting Dubnyk ahead of him even though ur team drafted him).

Ola

Apr 10, 2004
Sweden
Its interesting when all three have diffrent style. Wouldn´t be suprised if a goalie with outstanding reflexes like Schwarz gets the advantage if there is a crackdown on goalies equipment...

windowlicker

Jun 17, 2003
Murky Wisconsin
Visit site
Ola said:
Its interesting when all three have diffrent style. Wouldn´t be suprised if a goalie with outstanding reflexes like Schwarz gets the advantage if there is a crackdown on goalies equipment...

Or Dubnyk due to his size..... (plus he's still growing)

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Now:

Schwarz
Montoya
Dubnyk

Same for future.

Teams will look back in 5 years and be betaing themselves up over NOT picking Schwarz.

He fell in the draft because he is ONLY 6'00 180

O.T.

Mar 9, 2002
City of Champions
Visit site

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
La-La-Laprise said:
Now:

Schwarz
Montoya
Dubnyk

Same for future.

Teams will look back in 5 years and be betaing themselves up over NOT picking Schwarz.

He fell in the draft because he is ONLY 6'00 180

Bull.

He fell because he can't handle the puck worth anything, skates like he has bricks tied to his ankles, and really needs to work on his mental game. He's also small.

He has all-world talents, but he is easily rattled in games. His skating is VERY bad news, but that can be taught. The most I worry about is his consistency.

Rankings:

Now

1) Montoya
2) Schwarz
3) Dubnyk

Potential

1) Schwarz
2) Montoya
3) Dubnyk

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Comparisons

Schwarz - Slower Hasek
Montoya - Richter (with a little more reliance on standing up, but he still has the butterfly skills)
Dubnyk - Kirk McLean

Vyse64

N64
Feb 13, 2003
Calgary AB
NYRGoalieGlut said:
R u an Oilers fan? At least u seem honest (not that I agree, just that u obviously like Shwarz better than the other two, now and in the future and u'r not putting Dubnyk ahead of him even though ur team drafted him).

pretty sure CC is a caps fan

outKast*

I am a leafs fan, and here's a NON -biased answer: Devan Dubnyk has higher potential than both Montoya and Schwartz. If you don't want to listen to me...here's a link to his playing style and overall analysis.

http://www.nflcflfutures.com/Slam030804/chl_u18a-sun.html

The Edmonton Oilers thought they had no chance on Dubnyk because in their eyes, he was the BEST goaltender in the whole draft. Devan Dubnyk is a student of the game. He studies players and their tendencies like Patrick Roy (who had a very bad career and should have played in the AHL. Right fellas). When Devan spreads into his butterfly, his pads cover the whole crease and his head is still above the net. This guy is huge and will be a big star in the making. Right now i only rank him behind Fleury, Lethonen, Miller and Emery in overall goaltending abilities. He has a high potential.

dem

Mar 17, 2002
outKast said:
I am a leafs fan, and here's a NON -biased answer: Devan Dubnyk has higher potential than both Montoya and Schwartz. If you don't want to listen to me...here's a link to his playing style and overall analysis.

The Edmonton Oilers thought they had no chance on Dubnyk because in their eyes, he was the BEST goaltender in the whole draft. Devan Dubnyk is a student of the game. He studies players and their tendencies like Patrick Roy (who had a very bad career and should have played in the AHL. Right fellas). When Devan spreads into his butterfly, his pads cover the whole crease and his head is still above the net. This guy is huge and will be a big star in the making. Right now i only rank him behind Fleury, Lethonen, Miller and Emery in overall goaltending abilities. He has a high potential.

Youre a leafs fan?? I could swear you were an Oilers fan...

outKast*

i live in ontario and i am a die hard leafs fan. my family is full of Oiler fans. i hang around the Oilers board a lot because i can't stand leafs fans. I tell them that i think Tellqvist will be a backup in the NHL and they're all over me and call me a troll. It's simple things like that want me to not be in contact with other leaf fans. I can't stand that board.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
I think all three will be great goalies.

The only thing keeping Dubnyk and Schwarz out of the range of Montoya, IMHO, is that both lack consistency and seem to get easily rattled or lose their concentration.

Montoya has stepped up at every level consistently.

NYRGoalieGlut*

HemskyFreak83 said:
pretty sure CC is a caps fan

Thanks, I guess I got mixed up w/ Grier. He was w/ the Oilers for a while, and I forgot that he played for the Caps a couple of years.

Heater15

Jun 22, 2003
Saskatchewan
Visit site
IMHO. coming from a Thrashers fan, Al Montoya was one of the most hyped up players in the drafte because of 1 tournament. Michigan is known for being a tight defensive team, thus inflating his stats making him look better than what he is (hello Mr. Brodeur - except Brodeur is actually pretty good). Dont get me wrong, he does have talent or else he would not have gotten drafted that high, but mark my word - he will never be as good as what most of you people think. Dubnyk stole the show a few times this year for Kamloops, and was the best goalie at the top prospects game.

Dubnyk
Schwarz (close between him and Dubnyk)
Montoya

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
Exactly, IMO while Montoya may not have the same potential as the other goalies, he is the most consistent, sound and safest bet. He reminds me of Kipprusoff, not in style but their ability to remain calm and get better with every challenge. I feel Schwarz, who IMO is the most talented is undersized and his style may not work in the NHL, and Dubnyk is just as much of a long shot.IMO all 3 could be great but the latter 2 have a lot of consistency issues IMO

NYRGoalieGlut*

Reveille said:
Bull.

He fell because he can't handle the puck worth anything, skates like he has bricks tied to his ankles, and really needs to work on his mental game. He's also small.

He has all-world talents, but he is easily rattled in games. His skating is VERY bad news, but that can be taught. The most I worry about is his consistency.

Rankings:

Now

1) Montoya
2) Schwarz
3) Dubnyk

Potential

1) Schwarz
2) Montoya
3) Dubnyk

I know I'll be a Benedict Arnold now, but C'MON, puck handling is the most overrated part of being a goalie. It's a nice bonus, but the goalie's main job is to stop the puck. Shwarz is in good shape if the reason he fell is because he can't play the puck. I find it funny that now that we have a goalie that can play the puck u make it seem like it's so important. Blackburn+Richter=couldn't handle the puck (at least not that well), yet I bet b4 Montoya u would've said it doesn't matter. How well did Roy (who I hate) handle the puck? Oh and there might be rules limiting puck handling anyway.

NYRGoalieGlut*

Heater15 said:
IMHO. coming from a Thrashers fan, Al Montoya was one of the most hyped up players in the drafte because of 1 tournament. Michigan is known for being a tight defensive team, thus inflating his stats making him look better than what he is (hello Mr. Brodeur - except Brodeur is actually pretty good). Dont get me wrong, he does have talent or else he would not have gotten drafted that high, but mark my word - he will never be as good as what most of you people think. Dubnyk stole the show a few times this year for Kamloops, and was the best goalie at the top prospects game.

Dubnyk
Schwarz (close between him and Dubnyk)
Montoya

Oilers fan? :shakehead (Pretty obvious w/ Dubnyk being first, don't care that Montoya is last).

degroat*

outKast said:

So because the Oilers had him first on their draft board he's got the best goaltender in the whole draft? With all dues respect to the Oilers, they seem to be pretty much alone in that assessment.

As for his size... is there a single tall, lanky goaltender in the league that doesn't have a problem with his 5-hole? Longer legs = Big 5 hole.

rnyquist

Oct 24, 2003
Visit site
NYRGoalieGlut said:
Oilers fan? :shakehead (Pretty obvious w/ Dubnyk being first, don't care that Montoya is last).

The guy does make a good point. Mich is a pretty tight team and a good system it could inflate someone's potential, like Labarbera last year, (c'mon AHL mvp my foot). I think also Butterfly goalies get to show off by stats, which can be more of a reflection of a team than the actual goalie which is tough, but a guy like Schwarz is judged by his skills alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad