Friedman: Montour arbitration numbers

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Montour's played 1 1/3 nhl seasons, so Dumba who played 3 1/2, isn't a good comparable. He's good, but Murray is right that someone with that little experience who hasn't put up the boxcar numbers yet isn't worth that right now.

Personally, I'd sign him for 4-5 years 2.5-3 million, similar to what Nashville gave Ryan Ellis

How does he have arbitration rights? Nylander's played 2 1/3 seasons in the NHL and doesn't have it

Yah that would be a good contract and reasonable. 3-5 years 2.5-3 mill. 4.75 mill? For one good season in the NHL? That’s pretty damn steep man. That’s almost Lindholm money and he’s a 1D.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Yah that would be a good contract and reasonable. 3-5 years 2.5-3 mill. 4.25 mill? For one good season in the NHL? That’s pretty damn steep man. That’s almost Lindholm money and he’s a 1D.

True. Though he's older, so 3 years takes him right to UFA. I expect either a 2 year bridge, or a 4-5 year long term deal at a decent AAV

Reactions: 405Exit

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
True. Though he's older, so 3 years takes him right to UFA. I expect either a 2 year bridge, or a 4-5 year long term deal at a decent AAV

I don’t see anything more than 3.5 mill. Dude doesnt deserve anything more than that yet. And yes I agree with your term ideas.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Teams might as well just start offering league minimum and the players might as well just start asking for league maximum. They’re not giving the arbitrator any sort of context with the ridiculous discrepancy between their asking prices.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Monty is going to be good, but he shouldn't demand that type of money after one full season in the show.

The Ducks were paying almost that much to ice the corpse of Kevin Bieksa. It's not unreasonable for him to infer that since he is a better player, that he should be paid more using the valuation standard the team itself set.

That said, undoubtedly this was the standard negotiation tactic of asking for more then they expect to receive with the object being that they've left room to negotiate down to a number they find acceptable. It you start with the minimum number you'll except it doesn't leave a lot to work with

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
When you look at alot of deals that young dmen have signed in the past year or so in the 4+ per year range, Montour ansolutely should be asking that. I dont blame the guy at all

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Statistically he’s awfully close to Ryan Pulock who just signed 2 years at 2 per year. Montour does average more time on ice than Pulock though. I expect something around $2.5M.

Not So Mighty

Enjoy your freedom, you wintertimer.
Aug 2, 2010
Omicron Pesei 8
Montour should definately be getting 4+ per year... I wouldnt think that would be a issue at all giving that to him. Its the going rate now

Ducks need to get him locked in at a 4 - 5 per year for 7 years... If they dont, they will be paying a crap load in a year or 2

Hes a damn good dman and is gonna have a massive break out year this upcoming season or next

Montour doesn't want a long term contract yet until he establishes himself. I suspect Anaheim would sign that contract you mention in a heartbeat if it were possible but it isn't.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Montour doesn't want a long term contract yet until he establishes himself. I suspect Anaheim would sign that contract you mention in a heartbeat if it were possible but it isn't.

Ya id imagine Montour prefers a bridge hey? Hes a prime candidate to have a massive 2 years and then cash in ridiculously on a long term deal

Such a tough decision for a player. Take the guarenteed 30ish mill for 7 years and be completely set for generations or take a low amount for a couple years amd risk getting hurt or have terrible seasons or whatever just so that next contract is massive!

Reactions: Getz2perry

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
Ya id imagine Montour prefers a bridge hey? Hes a prime candidate to have a massive 2 years and then cash in ridiculously on a long term deal

Such a tough decision for a player. Take the guarenteed 30ish mill for 7 years and be completely set for generations or take a low amount for a couple years amd risk getting hurt or have terrible seasons or whatever just so that next contract is massive!

Yeah he's setting himself for a big pay day in a couple years, but the silver lining would be that he'll still be an RFA, and we'll be closer to a giant wave of cap flexibility coming in 3/4 years time.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I think it’s funny people are talking about the Ducks offer, but ignoring the asking price by Montour for one good season asking close to Lindholm money. This is how arbitration works.

Lindholm signed his contract 2 years ago though, Lindholm is less now than it was when he signed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->