Friedman: Montour arbitration numbers

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
What a joke of an offer from the Ducks. I know it's only to start negotiations, but it makes the process look silly.

I like the concept in baseball of the arbiter just picks one of the two sides offers without splitting the difference. That would force teams to actually make a reasonable offer or be stuck paying the players demands each time.

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
What a joke of an offer from the Ducks. I know it's only to start negotiations, but it makes the process look silly.

I like the concept in baseball of the arbiter just picks one of the two sides offers without splitting the difference. That would force teams to actually make a reasonable offer or be stuck paying the players demands each time.

As you've already implied, this is how arbitration works in the NHL, so it's par for the course and not a joke at all.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Monty is going to be good, but he shouldn't demand that type of money after one full season in the show.
1.5 vs 4 and he's their number four so they will meet somewhere in the middle which is pretty cheap tbh 1.5 is like number six money

Last edited:

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
How is the length of the contract determined in the arbitration process (1 or 2 year deal)?

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Monty is going to be good, but he shouldn't demand that type of money after one full season in the show.

But the team shouldn't be asking for 1.5M. That's very low for the season he just had. This is the arbitration process. The contract will be in the middle around 3M.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
That’s a pretty pitiful offer from Anaheim ngl

That's how arbitration works in the NHL....the Flames offered Kulak minimum (same as last year) salary after he made their team.

Team offers low. Player asks Hiigh. The arbitrator split the difference in most case lol

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
well that arbitration hearing will be extremely rough. The Ducks will have to tear into Montour pretty bad if they want to justify that number

Reactions: Morrison

DougGilmour93

Feb 7, 2007
Montour shooting for the moon, expecting to land in the 3-3.5m per range. Either way, he’s hoping for money he doesn’t deserve. At best he should be more than content to land a one year deal at 2m.

dracom

Dec 22, 2015
Vancouver, WA
I think it’s funny people are talking about the Ducks offer, but ignoring the asking price by Montour for one good season asking close to Lindholm money. This is how arbitration works.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
Honestly doesn't matter what he gets paid the next year or 2, by the time hes ready to sign his next contract hell be in the 5-6 range....

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Montour should definately be getting 4+ per year... I wouldnt think that would be a issue at all giving that to him. Its the going rate now

Ducks need to get him locked in at a 4 - 5 per year for 7 years... If they dont, they will be paying a crap load in a year or 2

Hes a damn good dman and is gonna have a massive break out year this upcoming season or next

Getzmonster

Jul 24, 2014
At the same point, they signed Vatanen to a two-year bridge around 1.26 AAV, followed by his current longer term deal a touch under 4.9 AAV. Monty's numbers will both probably be higher, but it's not too shocking that Murray's offering him ~1.5.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
Montour's played 1 1/3 nhl seasons, so Dumba who played 3 1/2, isn't a good comparable. He's good, but Murray is right that someone with that little experience who hasn't put up the boxcar numbers yet isn't worth that right now.

Personally, I'd sign him for 4-5 years 2.5-3 million, similar to what Nashville gave Ryan Ellis

How does he have arbitration rights? Nylander's played 2 1/3 seasons in the NHL and doesn't have it

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Montour's played 1 1/3 nhl seasons, so Dumba who played 3 1/2, isn't a good comparable. He's good, but Murray is right that someone with that little experience who hasn't put up the boxcar numbers yet isn't worth that right now.

Personally, I'd sign him for 4-5 years 2.5-3 million, similar to what Nashville gave Ryan Ellis

How does he have arbitration rights? Nylander's played 2 1/3 seasons in the NHL and doesn't have it
His age and time spent as a pro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad