Monthly News Thread (September 2017)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Apparently Vince was super happy with No Mercy.

Essentially he wants to make it so that Lesnar and Reigns are the biggest stars in the company with no one else on their level, so it's a huge moment when Reigns beats Lesnar a Team WM34.

Thus you had just 1 F5 beat Braun, and 1 spear beat Cena.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Essentially he wants to make it so that Lesnar and Reigns are the biggest stars in the company with no one else on their level, so it's a huge moment when Reigns beats Lesnar a Team WM34.

And it'll be numerous thunderous boos in arenas around the country as they build towards that match culminating into one enormous boofest as the match happens and finishes. lol

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
Goldust responded to some fans on Twitter who were complaining about Bray and his feud with Finn Balor. He wrote, "These kids are our future! Quit your b---hin. Suck it up and try and enjoy our product

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne

It's a really good plan and it's how you should book these characters heading toward the big show down on the biggest show. It's just people are already against Reigns and are unwilling to change their minds so it flops. Switch Lesnar with Joe, and Reigns with Bray and everyone would be all over the exact same booking.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Virtanen18

SAMCRO
Jan 25, 2014
Vancouver
It's a really good plan and it's how you should book these characters heading toward the big show down on the biggest show. It's just people are already against Reigns and are unwilling to change their minds so it flops. Switch Lesnar with Joe, and Reigns with Bray and everyone would be all over the exact same booking.
Yes, fans may enjoy wrestlers they actually like being pushed instead of the same two guys for the last 5 years.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Goldust responded to some fans on Twitter who were complaining about Bray and his feud with Finn Balor. He wrote, "These kids are our future! Quit your b---hin. Suck it up and try and enjoy our product
Can't blame him, the guy is trying to keep his job.

Really? No one wants to see Bray right now. Everyone wants to see Joe.

And I, for one, wouldn't be all over the same booking even if it was Christian and AJ Styles. I'd still think it's stupid. There's booking strong. And then there's booking TOO strong.

Plus, I would listen to the audience. Sometimes the audience isn't right (Zack Ryder was never going to be a huge star, although I thought he could have sold a ton of merch as a mid-card guy instead of a jobber). But every single crowd, every single week, for years has been telling Vince they want to boo Roman. And he won't turn him heel. The problem is that if Roman goes full blown heel... he'd end up getting over as a face eventually, more-so than the way he's being booked now.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto

Can't wait for Roman to kick out of 6 F5's and hit 2 spears to win the match!

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne

And I, for one, wouldn't be all over the same booking even if it was Christian and AJ Styles. I'd still think it's stupid. There's booking strong. And then there's booking TOO strong.

Plus, I would listen to the audience. Sometimes the audience isn't right (Zack Ryder was never going to be a huge star, although I thought he could have sold a ton of merch as a mid-card guy instead of a jobber). But every single crowd, every single week, for years has been telling Vince they want to boo Roman. And he won't turn him heel. The problem is that if Roman goes full blown heel... he'd end up getting over as a face eventually, more-so than the way he's being booked now.

You're looking at the big picture, not the actual booking of the current push. The push is perfectly fine, the timing is terrible, the chosen wrestlers are in the wrong rolls and the fans are burnt on the entire thing. The fact that the plan isn't the one that should be happening now doesn't change the fact that it's a perfectly good plan in a vacuum.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Highlights of Randy Orton on the E&C Podcast:

- Orton said as he's gotten older he knows his metabolism has slowed and it's harder to maintain his physique. He said he would have liked to wear the Wyatt gear when he joined because it was easier to hide the belly.

- Orton teased Edge for forgetting him and Dolph in his HOF speech and for brushing him off backstage in his retirement speech when Randy held his hand out expecting a bro hug. He also teased Christian saying that his shoulder problems came back after that program.

- Orton put over the chemistry he and Christian had.

- Orton noted he doesn't always have the most confidence in himself and his abilities at times. Christian said he sat with Cena once and said Randy is one of the guys who has no idea how good he actually is. Randy tried giving others credit but neither were having it.

- They obviously got to the 2011 angle storyline where Christian immediately dropped the belt. Vince had his mind set that this was a "new time" for Smackdown and he wanted Randy as champ to keep them afloat until Summerslam. This was decided even before Christian won the title at Extreme Rules and Vince was going to tell him, but Edge convinced Vince to let him have the moment and soak it in. Randy was also trying to fight the decision and let Christian keep the title longer so he could have his moment and hated having to be the one to cut it short. They almost changed their minds and crowned Mark Henry as champion at Summerslam, but kept to the original plan with Orton/Christian after both of them argued it. Christian wanted to make the part about Randy known since some speculated that Randy played politics when he got drafted to Smackdown, when in reality, Randy wanted Christian to keep the title.

- Randy talked about recent events: he hates being a babyface and is absolutely sick of it. He glanced over the Lesnar match but said he was worried that he'd never be the same after the concussion he suffered. His tone implied that the match is not a happy memory. Randy said he's trying to help the younger guys nowadays and mentioned really selling for Aiden English on Smackdown. He said Corbin has a ways to go but has a lot of potential. Randy also said he has 3-4 more years on his contract but implied that we'll be getting part-time Randy after that.

Reactions: Acallabeth

vdB

Dec 28, 2006
Toronto
It's just people are already against Reigns and are unwilling to change their minds so it flops. Switch Lesnar with Joe, and Reigns with Bray and everyone would be all over the exact same booking.

It's frustrating people won't change their minds on Reigns. They're simply CLOSE-MINDED.

I mean, shouldn't we be rooting for these actors to improve? Reigns is clearly getting better. Give the man some support.

Hypernova

Apr 20, 2007
Boston, MA
www.worldwrasslinpodcast.com
It's frustrating people won't change their minds on Reigns. They're simply CLOSE-MINDED.

I mean, shouldn't we be rooting for these actors to improve? Reigns is clearly getting better. Give the man some support.

Yea he is but it's too late. His push has been never-ending and the way he is booked is obnoxious. Everyone is sick of seeing the whole show revolve around him when he doesn't deserve it. Only way to fix this is to make him start at the bottom again or at least keep him away from any title until people warm up to him again.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Okay, the push is fine.. but not for Reigns. And it's not just crowd reaction. Crowd reaction, at this point, isn't the biggest issue with the "torch" storyline. The issue with that is that Reigns is a multi-time World Champion and looked unbeatable 29/30 nights.

Yea he is but it's too late. His push has been never-ending and the way he is booked is obnoxious. Everyone is sick of seeing the whole show revolve around him when he doesn't deserve it. Only way to fix this is to make him start at the bottom again or at least keep him away from any title until people warm up to him again.
That's a bit extreme. You don't even need to do that. Turn him heel, the crowd will give him MASSIVE heat for awhile.. but he's good enough that eventually he'll turn babyface anyway.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Not really. The only reason why Reigns has seemingly gotten better is because he's being booked a lot more like a heel than he ever has and it opens things up for him as a character. But if he is being flipped back to babyface for his run to Lesnar at 34 then he will go right back to what made him awful before. He doesn't deserve support until he shows he can be entertaining as a character on a consistent basis and not just because he's a heel against Cena and uses the Taker win in a heel fashion...especially if he's going to be a babyface going forward.

Reactions: Virtanen18

T_Cage

VP of Awesome
Sep 26, 2006
I think reigns has improved, I wouldn't mind if WWE did book him as the top guy at this point (even if I disagree)...but he's being booked as the ONLY guy. He's Gretzky and everyone else is in the ahl :p

They have tied up the Universal title for an ENTIRE YEAR just to "crown king roman" at wm, to the detriment of everyone else who is crushing it atm (Braun, miz, etc..). Honestly if it were me, I don't see why Brock-Reigns even NEEDS the title to be a big Match. It's the two guys that beat the undertaker. It's the big money fighter against the top guy. And it'll have heymans god-like promo skills to build it.

I'd go with lesnar-reigns at wm, and a universal title match between Braun and Joe. It satisfies WWE by making reigns "the star", but also builds other stars.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I agree with you, but I want to point something out. Nobody thought Ryder was going to be a mega star. The fans enjoyed where he was on the card. He could have either brought the Internet Championship to WWE or just kept a nice decent run at the US title level. WWE stupidly put him in a main event scene and had him look like an idiot. Just because the crowd is hot on something doesn't mean it's main event. It's good to have a nice hot crowd for undercard stuff. But they couldn't let Ryder do his thing naturally without WWEing all over it.

Small nitpick to your post that I agree with completely. And I don't even think it's booking too strong, it's just flat out shoving it down the audience's throat.

Reactions: Virtanen18

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Eh, disagree. Smart fans knew what he was - a fun midcard act (and he should have stayed there for a long time, they screwed themselves out of some money). WWE never put him in the Main Event scene in a serious way... be honest. They gave him one US title win (a little bit too late almost) and then he was never really heard from again.

But if you go around the other wrestling forums at the time, people were calling him their favourite wrestler and saying he should be World Champion. Especially his YouTube where he was posting the shows (and his YouTube had hundreds of thousands or maybe even millions of followers).

As for booking too strong - I just have a big issue with trying to get me to buy into the "passing the torch" angle when he's already been THE GUY multiple times and hasn't even fallen from that level. Passing the torch, IMO, is when you give the rub to someone who has never been in that spot or someone who maybe crashed and burned and reinvented themselves (Ziggler or Bray - but they're also so damaged it would take some really good work to even get them over).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad