Monthly News Thread (October 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
First off, let me get one thing out of the way: I need to accept my responsibility to what has transpired over the last few days.

I honestly had no idea I was still listed as a Moderator on this board, as when DB had to be forced to retire and the WWE was still in the midst of shoving Reigns down our throats, I largely checked out of wrestling. First it was Punk leaving, but we still had a white-hot DB. Then when DB went down it just...well, I lost interest.

Perhaps if I had been around more often, things would have transpired in a different manner. For that, I am sorry that I let anyone down.

Now, onto the next order of business: I personally view the situation as having moved past the initial discussion of the racially insensitive shirt.

I do not think that HF can have rules that say it is wrong to post something racist, but then refuse to a) remove a racially insensitive comment, and b) continue skirting the issue.

The comment in question need to go, and I will be removing it. It should not remain up as a means for others to see it and continue this loop. I also feel that whether it's public or private, some apologies need to be made. Look, I'm not perfect, I have flaws. I'm sometimes hot-tempered, I sometimes do mean things even though I generally consider myself a good and nice person. The point is, no one is perfect. I feel what is being asked is that we take accountability for our own actions, and apologize in instances where it may be warranted. And I don't consider that a particularly big ask.

I would very much like to see this happen and we can continue to do what is being asked: treat this as a wrestling subforum.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
First off, let me get one thing out of the way: I need to accept my responsibility to what has transpired over the last few days.

I honestly had no idea I was still listed as a Moderator on this board, as when DB had to be forced to retire and the WWE was still in the midst of shoving Reigns down our throats, I largely checked out of wrestling. First it was Punk leaving, but we still had a white-hot DB. Then when DB went down it just...well, I lost interest.

Perhaps if I had been around more often, things would have transpired in a different manner. For that, I am sorry that I let anyone down.

Now, onto the next order of business: I personally view the situation as having moved past the initial discussion of the racially insensitive shirt.

I do not think that HF can have rules that say it is wrong to post something racist, but then refuse to a) remove a racially insensitive comment, and b) continue skirting the issue.

The comment in question need to go, and I will be removing it. It should not remain up as a means for others to see it and continue this loop. I also feel that whether it's public or private, some apologies need to be made. Look, I'm not perfect, I have flaws. I'm sometimes hot-tempered, I sometimes do mean things even though I generally consider myself a good and nice person. The point is, no one is perfect. I feel what is being asked is that we take accountability for our own actions, and apologize in instances where it may be warranted. And I don't consider that a particularly big ask.

I would very much like to see this happen and we can continue to do what is being asked: treat this as a wrestling subforum.
This man is apologizing when he has no reason to. <3

Mitchy

#HFOutcasts
Jul 12, 2012
The Citadel
This man is apologizing when he has no reason to. <3

RL, none of this is on you at all. You shouldn't be apologizing.

You're a good egg though and it's really admirable how you're handling this.

It's sad when RL apologizes and accepts accountability when he did nothing wrong, yet the poster that started all of this and demeaned and talked down to fellow posters, still can't. Unreal how that poster continues to miss the point, but seemingly everyone else has got it.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
Oh dear lord... here is an honest list of some things i would do. Once again, i'm not saying i know how he feels.. but this is what I would do. And being in a corporate structure, I understand the pressure at least. But... for example:

- The top thing I would investigate is where to go with this. I would probably first get a legal consultation. I understand a lot of these result in "at will" employment, but being there is a contract involved, I would go this route. I would seek 2-4 different consultations, mostly are free, and look into what action I could take. Whether lawsuit, termination of contract, or whatever would be appropriate.

- I would also discuss with the local NAACP representative because while they do not provide legal advice, they do have one of the strongest legal counsels and could possibly help with spreading the awareness in a positive way.

- I would then discuss with my family if it's time to move on because this is highly offensive and not wanting to be associated with it. If the answer was yes but i wanted to raise awareness - i would do so in a strong way that is not immaturely posting videos, deleting videos, etc. I would seek the wrestling media, Jericho's podcast, literally all media sources to do it almost in a Dean Ambrose way. I would present my case in almost the same way Ambrose did. Then the audience can support and get behind it.

- I would even reach out to media participants like John Oliver who has touched on this in the past. I think his main point of contention i wanting representation and awareness. I think we could shed some light if anyone wanted this story. We KNOW every dirt sheet would want this story.

- Once all of these areas are explored, i'd even talk to people about how to present this from a social media platform. Even if all teh answers were no across the board, then i'd venture on how I wanted to present this w/o attempting to ruin my career.

And ultimately if he wanted to keep the job due to financial reasons, then he should have gone through the appropriate channels to start. Now this is NOT the way I'd go because their history is laughable. Vince would say something right and do is "jedi mind trick" and take away from the actual problem. The main thing I would do is stay away from the outbursts of immaturity. Yes... he has every right to be fuming. Yes he has every right to want to stand up. But posting a video with a middle finger and then deleting it....? Is that doing anything? Absolutely not.

Let me start by conceding from the start that I am the very definition of white privilege: I am a 33-years-old marketing executive heterosexual white man from a good family (the only poverty I experienced was kinda self-imposed when I left school at 18 to go work). I am single yet still own my own house AND drive a 2017 Mercedes. In a nutshell, I am the LAST person who can understand what it is to be a Black man in the United States of America. I have a lot of empathy, but I could never understand what they go through. As such, my natural response is similar to yours. If anyone would discriminate me, I'd probably do all these things you are describing... because I would be listened to. I am respected among my peers, I have a good reputation in my field, I have other opportunities if need be, a good network, etc. And, at the end of the day, it would be a personal issue, not a bigger social issue like it is with Myles. I am not a minority, there is no institutional bias against me... quite the contrary.

Now, earlier in my life, I was working a shit factory job and we wanted to unionize. I was 19 and full of piss and vinegar. One thing our boss told us to discourage us stuck with me. He said that we had two choices when faced with things we disagree with: adapt and stay or disagree and leave. He said that unionizing was not a solution and that it would kill his business. Of course, I profoundly disagreed then and I still do now. There is a third choice: stay and fight. Especially when the fight is larger than yourself (like it is for Myles and like it was for us as a workforce).

That's essentially what Myles did. Did he do it the right way? Maybe not. But that's what he chose to do. He is rightfully angry and racist behavior like the WWE's have to be denounced. At the end of the day, it is a good example of systemic racism and a very chocking one! I do not even think the people designing the shirt realize how racist it is - the probably think it is a funny stereotype that fit a character. What is pathetic is that people LIED to Myles AND HHH about who approved the shirt. It is appalling that the WWE did not issue an apology nor fired the people responsible for that.

People should not have to quit their dream job because the employer is insensitive, the employer has to be held accountable... if not... the behavior will be passively accepted and will continue. You do not fight social issues in private. That's why fighting was the right choice. How to conduct the fight, now, that's up to the individual. However, the fight itself, in this precise situation, is, in my opinion, the right choice. On the other hand, I could not blame him if he chose your approach instead. I'd disagree as I think systemic racism is still a big problem and should be publicly denounced, but I'd understand the individual's choice not to become a martyr. I mean, look at Colin Kaepernick, he chose to fight and was vilified for it by MANY people.

So, in a nutshell, response depends on context. Here, context dictates that going public and denouncing the company for their not-so-passive racism was the right choice. Handling that in private might have been better for him as an individual, but would not have done any good to the larger cause. The way he handled it might not either, but the intention, in my humble opinion, was the right one.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
One thing about his comments that bothered me greatly and made him come off horribly (and the fact that he managed to do that over an issue any sensible person would say he had an absolute right to be upset over is impressive): He accused ROH of not pushing him because he is black. This is a 100% lie. They were planning to give him a huge push to the top with a feud over the TV Title with Jay Lethal (who he also slurred despite the fact he wanted to elevate the guy). On the day of the big match that was intended to kick everything off ACH missed the booking (that was going to be the biggest break of his career). That is what killed his push and it was his own fault.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
One thing about his comments that bothered me greatly and made him come off horribly (and the fact that he managed to do that over an issue any sensible person would say he had an absolute right to be upset over is impressive): He accused ROH of not pushing him because he is black. This is a 100% lie. They were planning to give him a huge push to the top with a feud over the TV Title with Jay Lethal (who he also slurred despite the fact he wanted to elevate the guy). On the day of the big match that was intended to kick everything off ACH missed the booking (that was going to be the biggest break of his career). That is what killed his push and it was his own fault.

Yeah I don't get the random dragging of Lethal over this at all.

Went on a rant and pushed it way too far.

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
I had no idea Crown Jewel was tomorrow until I saw an article on the women's match. That's how checked out I've been from WWE and I really don't miss it one bit.

Reactions: Fro

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
So Natalya vs Lacey at Crown Jewel...

Natalya & Lacey feud for weeks
Natalya powerbombs Lacey off the stage through tables
Natalya and Lacey form a team and act like nothing happened the next week
Natalya vs Lacey at Crown Jewel

Uh, why?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke

Uh, why?

Because the Saudis demanded it, obviously. :shakehead

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Uh, why?

You're not supposed to remember all of that. It's not supposed to make sense, the only important part, to them, is 2 women having a match in Saudi Arabia. Last time Nattie and Alexa went in case they let them wrestle, but they did still did a bunch of appearances together.

HandsomeHollywood

Brooke Shields ain't got nothin'
Mar 20, 2017
giphy.gif

Reactions: SeidoN

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

Uh, why?

HISTORIC! HISTORY MAKING IN THE DUBUYA DUBUYA EEEEEEE

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Jericho said he felt insulted when his match with KO at Mania 33 was pushed down the card from a title match main event to just second on the card.

Was a big reason why he left the company.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Jericho said he felt insulted when his match with KO at Mania 33 was pushed down the card from a title match main event to just second on the card.

Was a big reason why he left the company.

What year did they put Fandango over him? Couple years before 33?

Can't imagine that left a good taste in his mouth either

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

Uh, why?

I think it’s because they have attire that covers the entirety of their bodies. Wasn’t that the reason they were keeping Natalya and Alexa Bliss on standby last time?

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
I think it’s because they have attire that covers the entirety of their bodies. Wasn’t that the reason they were keeping Natalya and Alexa Bliss on standby last time?

I imagine any female wrestler can have that made for them at a moment's notice, especially with Saudi money on the line.

They specifically requested Natalya and Lacey, for whatever reason.

Also....isn't Lacey usually wearing a short skirt witha garter?

Maybe she'll come out in full military fatigues for the Saudi show. I mean, she IS a military veteran.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad