Monthly News Thread (November 2018)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Raw sucks because they literally buried everyone to build Roman. This is what happens when you don't build everyone up and only focus on one guy. Now everyone is shit and match that with bad writers and this is what you get. There was no reason why we couldn't build multiple stars/storylines all at once. But nope. It was the Roman show and they get what they get.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I agree mostly with that but the best time to build a babyface is when they've been beaten to shit and yet they still fall into the same tropes of authority angles every week.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Tyler Breeze is incredibly underused.

This would have been a perfect time to refresh his gimmick a bit (make him more of a serious guy, knock off the entrance selfie stuff) and give him a bit of a singles run.

Everyone loves the guy, they've just never given him a chance.

He should talk to Hunter and ask to go to NXT to work on his character.

Tyler Breeze faces Ricochet tonight for the North American Championship. Apparently was awesome, as expected

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I was actually just thinking of KO with this story about WWE trying to restrict European talent.

... Interesting because he's so dedicated to the company, but Jacques Rogeau tried doing the same shit to him. Obviously they're not near the same stratosphere of importance, but still.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Raw sucks because they literally buried everyone to build Roman. This is what happens when you don't build everyone up and only focus on one guy. Now everyone is **** and match that with bad writers and this is what you get. There was no reason why we couldn't build multiple stars/storylines all at once. But nope. It was the Roman show and they get what they get.
I can't even blame Roman solely, honestly.

How many chances have WWE had at building stars only to squander them because of shitty booking in general? Strowman still hasn't won a title because they think he doesn't need it, when the reality is that he's nowhere near as hot as he was earlier in the year. They dropped the ball.

In Roman's absence or "punishment" booking after his wellness policy violation, they failed to build true stars in Dean Ambrose (who somewhat rose above it to an extent), Dolph Ziggler (Survivor Series 2014, anyone? And then the follow up booking with the awful Authority angle?), Rusev (Cena killed him), Wyatt (over... and over... and over... and over... again. Cena? Check. Jericho when he shouldn't have lost following up the Cena angle? Check. Almost turning into a transvestite after being saved by the mumps from that horrid story? Check. Failed opportunities time and time again to either continue him as a babyface after he saved Roman from the League of Nations, or when he faced off with then WWE champion, on-air authority figure, Triple H? Check.), Cesaro (all because they squandered all of his momentum just so they could keep Heyman on TV and remind everyone that Lesnar conquered the streak, which would have been okay if the angle ultimately led to Cesaro defeating Lesnar... but it didn't... Cesaro never recovered either).

These are just a few. While Roman's booking played a part, it's more on the general stupidity of WWE creative and squandering away so many opportunities to build stars.

I can throw names like Finn Balor in there, sure, but he's just boring as hell and has no character whatsoever, even when they tried to care about him, so that's more on Balor. You need to be more than good looking dude who pops his collar and has abs, ffs.

Styles was used to prop Reigns up, but Styles benefited from it more than anything else and became an absolute star in Vince's eyes after the Reigns program to the point where Styles got clean pins over Cena before they were being handed out like candy.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I follow an old school wrestling page and someone wrote on a video clip “nowadays it’s just guys who do CrossFit and can’t cut a promo” and I immediately thought of Balor. :laugh:

There can be a lot of dumb comments on there but I thought that one was funny.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I follow an old school wrestling page and someone wrote on a video clip “nowadays it’s just guys who do CrossFit and can’t cut a promo” and I immediately thought of Balor. :laugh:

There can be a lot of dumb comments on there but I thought that one was funny.

He was fine in New Japan. Main roster has zero desire to do anything with him. They could flesh out the story with the paint, they could turn him heel (why they didn’t do that when he was running with Bullet club again is beyond me).

Vince is happy having a stable of upper mid card faces that constantly job to the heels because heat.

It is consistently bad booking. They have Dean taking shots up his ass. Their big tag angle is Rockstar Spud pissing himself. They squandered Braun. They are going to squander Seth (in a lot of ways they already have).

They care more about Corbin and his current goon squad getting heat on a weekly basis then building anyone up. That or catering to his part timers.

SD isn’t that much better either. Things are a bit more logical and the shows aren’t toilet bad, but they are absolutely wasting AJ Styles on that show.

They aren’t using Joe correctly. I honestly don’t even know what is going on with DB. Is the US Champ ever on TV anymore?

Really the one saving grace on Tuesdays is Becky, but even then there is still a pit in my stomach that they will try to ruin that too. Never mind how they already ruined Asuka.

They have so much talent on this roster. Tons of guys who can be legit stars, and if not that, then extremely over. They just refuse to do the basic leg work.

You have to have these extreme Becky situations to get anything good done.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
If you read his tweet today, apparently part of DBryan’s new gimmick is to not apologize for taking time off and anyone who thinks he should work as much as he used to is barbaric because that was Old Daniel Bryan.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
So you guys hear about the AJ styles gay slur compilation video being sent around right now?

Blech.....

It’s well known how AJ is about these things and it’s why as much as I respect his work and enjoy watching him he will never be one of my personal favorites.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Yeah that's not exactly news since he was dropping gay slurs in TNA segments.

I had hoped he matured and realized he was wrong.

Still better than Jay Briscoe though

Reactions: GarbageGoal

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Because those are old-ish videos, part of me hopes that AJ has matured over the years but he's also a 40 year old dude and he might just be locked in his ways now no matter how many times people from the "GAY COMMUNITY!?" tell him how wrong it is. Definitely makes me uncomfortable though seeing that shit and as @GarbageGoal said makes it a bit harder to cheer for him.

Reactions: GarbageGoal

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Dave says Impact are pulling talent from Evolve shows because the see Evolve as essentially a WWE product at this point

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Creative can't find anything for Wyatt? Jesus.

Once Rowan comes back, reunite the Wyatt Family and have them slow burn a feud with Sanity. Could really do something interesting with "Sister Abigail" and Nikki Cross, too.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
If you read his tweet today, apparently part of DBryan’s new gimmick is to not apologize for taking time off and anyone who thinks he should work as much as he used to is barbaric because that was Old Daniel Bryan.

Nice, I've wanted to see that gimmick done for a few years now with all of the concussion talk in sports media lately. Tully Blanchard did it already though of course.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
- Cody Rhodes is promising a major announcement for January which he says is bigger than anyone can imagine. Speculation is it will be the formal announcement of All Elite Wrestling, which could include a TV deal. Based on trademark filings, it’s looking like AEW is looking at Tuesday nights for a weekly tv show, if a TV deal is indeed apart of the announcement.

- Elias was scheduled to win the IC title a couple weeks back, by Ambrose costing Rollins his title as a way to further their feud and move the title away from it. That plan was nixed, but Elias is still receiving a big push. So it’s possible we could see Elias answer one of the upcoming open challenges by Rollins

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I presume Elias was going to stay heel if that was what was going to happen. It was probably nixed when they turned him is my guess.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I think it would be fine for Elias’s character to win via help from Ambrose but basically act like “Them’s the breaks” towards Rollins.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I think it would be fine for Elias’s character to win via help from Ambrose but basically act like “Them’s the breaks” towards Rollins.
If he were bordering on tweener I’d agree, but he’s very clearly a babyface and shouldn’t win the title like that.

If anything I see Ambrose winning the title and facing Elias at Wrestlemania.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad