Monthly News Thread (May 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
WON says any UK promotion with a streaming service can no longer use talent signed to a WWE UK deal

UK territory getting closer.

I don’t understand why NBC would spend that much and not want both shows.

definitely an old snippet then, but with this that she wants to go back to school and become a counselor, I'd say early 30s seems likely at this point.

Didn't Sasha say something similar about retiring earlier too?
They probably want to go start families.

Last edited:

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Which is why the world of wrestling needs “All in” to be a massive hit

As I've said before...I can still like the WWE product as long as there are some alternatives to check out when I need something different. Stuff like "All In", Best of the Super Juniors or what's going to be a great card for Dominion a few weeks...I could enjoy wrestling if WWE dictated what the product would be and if they employed every good worker from every promotion.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Roman Reigns did an interview and said “if you want me to turn heel, put me in the ring with Daniel Bryan.”

He also said he values and agrees with Stone Cold’s opinion that he needs a heel turn, but SCSA isn’t his boss.

Roman sounding like a guy who definitely wants to turn or at least KNOWS he should be a legit heel right now. Probably why his work has been so uninspiring this year.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Didn’t they already do that and he didn’t turn heel

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
WON says any UK promotion with a streaming service can no longer use talent signed to a WWE UK deal
It'll be interesting to see if this is just domestic companies or world wide. RevPro and Defiant will be hit for sure, but I'm not sure if they'll consider anyone else significant enough to block.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- Big Cass has "massive" heat backstage and Alvarez said the big boot and beat down of the midget improv isn't the first time Cass has done something stupid and it's a combination of things.

- The female talent weren't paid for not attending the GRR and it's said that if the women do receive payment, it'll be a surprise to them.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
As I've said before...I can still like the WWE product as long as there are some alternatives to check out when I need something different. Stuff like "All In", Best of the Super Juniors or what's going to be a great card for Dominion a few weeks...I could enjoy wrestling if WWE dictated what the product would be and if they employed every good worker from every promotion.

Best era IMO in history was WWE vs WCW vs ECW. Competition is always a good thing.

Reactions: TNT87

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
Best era IMO in history was WWE vs WCW vs ECW. Competition is always a good thing.

Good call. Competition is good so you know a company or league doesn't get stale or thinks they never need improve or evolve. I don't think promotions are necessarily gunning for WWE right now but we need to see other promotions and indy wrestlers make waves to keep them on their toes. I do think HHH has his finger on the pulse of today's trends instead of Vince still doing Vince things.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
- Big Cass has "massive" heat backstage and Alvarez said the big boot and beat down of the midget improv isn't the first time Cass has done something stupid and it's a combination of things.

- The female talent weren't paid for not attending the GRR and it's said that if the women do receive payment, it'll be a surprise to them.

This company is ridiculous.

Also Cass is legit awful.

Oct 18, 2011
Roman Reigns did an interview and said “if you want me to turn heel, put me in the ring with Daniel Bryan.”

He also said he values and agrees with Stone Cold’s opinion that he needs a heel turn, but SCSA isn’t his boss.

Roman sounding like a guy who definitely wants to turn or at least KNOWS he should be a legit heel right now. Probably why his work has been so uninspiring this year.
And to some extent I kinda feel bad for the guy...WWE is setting back his career with shortsighted decisions.

If he had turned two years ago he'd probably be in a better spot.

It's gotta be frustrating I'm sure he'd love nothing more than to tear into the fans who always boo him

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Dave said starting October 2019, Raw will be more valuable than PPVs and we’ll be in a weird situation where PPVs might be used to build up the more valuable show (Raw) with the exception of the big PPVs.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Dave said starting October 2019, Raw will be more valuable than PPVs and we’ll be in a weird situation where PPVs might be used to build up the more valuable show (Raw) with the exception of the big PPVs.

That would be strange. It would be weird to see a "PPV" used to build a Raw match. It really doesn't devalue the Network as the WWE Network is so dirt cheap. It's not a bad move. Definitely different.

I do feel it's a fine time/era to no longer have "PPV" shows but just have network specials that really don't have to mean all that much. It's not like they need the buyrate.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
The bad thing in all of this is that if USA keeps Raw, it's definitely staying 3 hours. The good thing is, the brand split might immediately end because i'm sure both groups would want a little bit of everything.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The bad thing in all of this is that if USA keeps Raw, it's definitely staying 3 hours. The good thing is, the brand split might immediately end because i'm sure both groups would want a little bit of everything.
No it won’t. Smackdown as just another show is worth a lot less.

Oh, and it will move to 3 hours too.

As for TV being more valuable than PPV, it’s been that way for a while. They always build to the TV since that’s where they have the most eyes.

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
that's what happens when you are only hired because of your wife, then almost immediately knock her up

Meltzer is clueless in this situation. While Raw may make more money, they will not use PPVs to promote Raw because Network buys are variable and the TV deal is locked in. They need to use Raw and SDL to push network subscriptions, so they can increase revenue even further.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009

That would just make the Network even more irrelevant.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I rip on the WWE all the time, but it looks like they're making more money than ever. I still don't get it really because I think 90% of the product is just, BAD. But I guess they know what they're doing? Or is it like Twitter where theyre valued at a billion dollars but have never even turned a profit? I don't know.

I don't get it.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I rip on the WWE all the time, but it looks like they're making more money than ever. I still don't get it really because I think 90% of the product is just, BAD. But I guess they know what they're doing? Or is it like Twitter where theyre valued at a billion dollars but have never even turned a profit? I don't know.

I don't get it.

Their North American audience has tanked, but they've expanded so much internationally over the last 15 years that they can claim, "Well business is better than ever!"

In a way, that's true, but it's also still BS. The business is growing because you've tapped into new markets. The existing markets have still rapidly and consistently decreased because your product is garbage.

Reactions: PeterSidorkiewicz

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Their North American audience has tanked, but they've expanded so much internationally over the last 15 years that they can claim, "Well business is better than ever!"

In a way, that's true, but it's also still BS. The business is growing because you've tapped into new markets. The existing markets have still rapidly and consistently decreased because your product is garbage.

Kinda reminds me of when a new car goes on sale and it’s like “sales have increased 200% this year!” and it’s because the car was released at the very very end of the previous year so there wasn’t any actual sales.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
FWIW Roman also said in that article that he doesn't know if there's any point in turning him heel anyways because he already has massive heat.

... I legitimately wonder if that's the mindset WWE has. Because it's a stupid idea. I actually think Roman is a top star and can still turn into a great face if he has that heel run first. That being said, you don't say, "He already is a heel" while booking him constantly against heels, with the demeanor of a babyface.

You want to see Roman as a true heel, watch his MITB match against Rollins two years ago. THAT'S how a heel Roman should act. And he showed massive potential as a heel in that match, which they never capitalized on.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
that's what happens when you are only hired because of your wife, then almost immediately knock her up

Meltzer is clueless in this situation. While Raw may make more money, they will not use PPVs to promote Raw because Network buys are variable and the TV deal is locked in. They need to use Raw and SDL to push network subscriptions, so they can increase revenue even further.
TV is their biggest source of revenue, even more so with this massive Raw deal. They’ve already somewhat used PPVs to build to TV — they’ll definitely do it more so they can ensure when the next TV rights negotiations begin, they can command even more and keep their viewership up.

More people watch Raw/SD in America than people subscribe to the network worldwide. It makes sense.

PeterSidorkiewicz

Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
TV is their biggest source of revenue, even more so with this massive Raw deal. They’ve already somewhat used PPVs to build to TV — they’ll definitely do it more so they can ensure when the next TV rights negotiations begin, they can command even more and keep their viewership up.

More people watch Raw/SD in America than people subscribe to the network worldwide. It makes sense.

Yeah, but like, more people watched RAW/SD on TV than ordered PPV's back in the day, right? And the TV still built to the PPV.

I dunno, still seems ass backwards to me, its like some total WCW shit giving away matches on TV to get ratings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->