Monthly News Thread (January 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
AEW is now officially a thing, having been announced this morning on the latest Being the Elite episode.

They also confirmed All-In 2, Double or Nothing, to be happening at some point.

Some notes from the Observer:

Guys are being signed to multi-year contracts.
A TV deal isn't in place yet, but they have multiple offers.
Tony Khan is the guy running the company, the son of the Jacksonville NFL owner.
Next announcement on the 8th.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
Wor also said WWE made an NXT offer to someone whose contract expires in a few months, that is way higher than normal developmental offers due to competition.

One might logically deduce it's Marty Scurll. Can't really think of anyone else who fits the bill.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I’m ready to see how AEW unfolds. At least i don’t have to worry about The Elite going to WWE and having their creativity stifled.

Reactions: ColePens

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I’m ready to see how AEW unfolds. At least i don’t have to worry about The Elite going to WWE and having their creativity stifled.

As much as I want guys going to WWE, especially Marty, I just know it will end up poorly. So I'm glad they have somewhere else to go. I hope it works. I hope it gives guys more chances to perform instead of just smile and deal with WWE's bullshit.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
As much as I want guys going to WWE, especially Marty, I just know it will end up poorly. So I'm glad they have somewhere else to go. I hope it works. I hope it gives guys more chances to perform instead of just smile and deal with WWE's bull****.
Back in the early 2010s I’d be down for them all to go to WWE for two reasons: so I could selfishly watch them easier, and so they could make their money.

In 2019 wrestling is super accessible though, and you can make really good money without WWE.

I hope it works for them. It gives an avenue for those workers who left Japan to come back to the USA to be closer to their families another company to work for that’s on TV (Anderson and Gallows, anyone?).

I’m curious to see which WWE names jump. I have a feeling The Revival will.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Wor also said WWE made an NXT offer to someone whose contract expires in a few months, that is way higher than normal developmental offers due to competition.

One might logically deduce it's Marty Scurll. Can't really think of anyone else who fits the bill.
There are bidding wars going on between WWE, RoH, and now AEW. Which is only a good thing for talent. Bandido being the recent one, who ended up with RoH.

NXT deals have always been very low, with the lure of main roster money being far better than anywhere else being the selling point (which is still true outside the top handful of indy guys). Some guys were offered more in the past, Bálor being one for sure as well as other established guys like Joe and Nakamura, but that was an extremely different time.

They've lost out on guys in the past, not wanting to 'overpay' for anyone, so it'll be interesting to see what they'll do now. They can easily eat the costs with the new TV deal, but that was true in the past too. NXT has always been running at a loss.

Scurll is someone who I'd think they'd try and go after hard. He's a guy a new promotion could really build around, so keeping him away form AEW would be a good play. He's also really popular and could easily carry NXT. His contract is up in a few months, so the timeline would fit.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dave said Kushida is getting offers from WWE

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
There are bidding wars going on between WWE, RoH, and now AEW. Which is only a good thing for talent. Bandido being the recent one, who ended up with RoH.

NXT deals have always been very low, with the lure of main roster money being far better than anywhere else being the selling point (which is still true outside the top handful of indy guys). Some guys were offered more in the past, Bálor being one for sure as well as other established guys like Joe and Nakamura, but that was an extremely different time.

They've lost out on guys in the past, not wanting to 'overpay' for anyone, so it'll be interesting to see what they'll do now. They can easily eat the costs with the new TV deal, but that was true in the past too. NXT has always been running at a loss.

Scurll is someone who I'd think they'd try and go after hard. He's a guy a new promotion could really build around, so keeping him away form AEW would be a good play. He's also really popular and could easily carry NXT. His contract is up in a few months, so the timeline would fit.

Assuming Undisputed Era/Adam Cole gets called up around Mania time, could he be someone to build a new NXT on? Because I think there's going to be a bunch or releases or retirements in the main roster coming this year, leaving space for NXT people to step in, which of course leaves more space at NXT for new people.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
With no Kenny anywhere for AEW, and no announcement of him signing with NJPW I am starting to believe the WWE rumors.

Also NXT paying more now makes sense since the brand has really grown, and even has a sub brand under it (NXT UK). NXT is actually the main competition for AEW. Both want indy talent, both run more "wrestling" shows, both appeal to the internet and hardcore market.

It will be interesting to see if AEW can sign any WWE guys, as there have been hints about it. There can be many positives but this can also be looked at as more fragmentation of the business. And as much as YB and Cody might want to play nice, once its about money and contracts you have to start seeing competition not friends. So eventually guys will have to chose AEW or Indies/ROH/NJPW.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I wonder how much Shahid is willing to invest in to his son's project?

Or is Tony Khan going in to this alone without his father's money?

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
With no Kenny anywhere for AEW, and no announcement of him signing with NJPW I am starting to believe the WWE rumors.

This doesnt mean much. If Kenny was going to AEW, theyre not gonna announce that while he's IWGP champ preparing for WK13 are they.

There's a reason the AEW rally is a few days after WK imo. It's also the same reason I think we may see Kenny drop the title on Friday

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
This doesnt mean much. If Kenny was going to AEW, theyre not gonna announce that while he's IWGP champ preparing for WK13 are they.

There's a reason the AEW rally is a few days after WK imo. It's also the same reason I think we may see Kenny drop the title on Friday

I agree but I am leaning more on the rumors of him going to WWE now then before.

But nothing is set in stone, what happens on Friday will have a bigger indication and then on the 8th we will know even more.

I just find it odd that Kenny has been pretty quiet as of late. Sure it can be because of contract status or having the title but he was very talkative before and now all of a sudden with WWE rumors he isn't talking to anyone? Like I said could mean nothing but I am leaning now 51% towards WWE.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
The Elite goes together. It should be a pretty safe bet that Tanahashi wins the belt and Omega is announced for AEW lol.

Reactions: Fro

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Assuming Undisputed Era/Adam Cole gets called up around Mania time, could he be someone to build a new NXT on? Because I think there's going to be a bunch or releases or retirements in the main roster coming this year, leaving space for NXT people to step in, which of course leaves more space at NXT for new people.
He very easily could. I wouldn't book him to be a "the man" character, more the guy who gets beaten by the man. But he can be used anywhere and be great, on top of being a great wrestler.

But not being the man is fine for NXT. Once the current top lot move one, you've got Keith Lee and Matt Riddle to fill that role. Riddle really should be pushed to the moon, like all the rockets should be given to him.

Riddle, Lee, Ricochet, Scurll, and Dream would be an incredibly strong top five to do things with.

That being said, NXT is already stacked, especially when you look at the talent they've got signed to UK and Germany deals. If they signed no one new it wouldn't be a problem. (But we all know they are going to sign more to hoard talent more than ever.)

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
I’d hope Scurll doesn’t join tbh. I have a bad feeling that once he’d be done in NXT, he’d be on 205 Live.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
One of the things I worry about is a Jeff Jarrett situation where there were better options on the impact roster every time you turned around he was the champion again as he was owner/booker. AEW needs to avoid the trap of always having the titles on the bucks/Cody

Also with AEW being real the wwe need to give us a new more interesting main event. If they sign Kenny, he needs to debut at the rumble, win it and beat Brock. That’s the only way to truly show us they are “listening” to fans and going for a new wwe. They need that type of Brock and if you wanna make someone a rumble win and then beating Brock clean makes them. And later on if the new guy isn’t the star he should be it’s not hard to rebuild brock

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
One of the things I worry about is a Jeff Jarrett situation where there were better options on the impact roster every time you turned around he was the champion again as he was owner/booker. AEW needs to avoid the trap of always having the titles on the bucks/Cody

Also with AEW being real the wwe need to give us a new more interesting main event. If they sign Kenny, he needs to debut at the rumble, win it and beat Brock. That’s the only way to truly show us they are “listening” to fans and going for a new wwe. They need that type of Brock and if you wanna make someone a rumble win and then beating Brock clean makes them. And later on if the new guy isn’t the star he should be it’s not hard to rebuild brock
Why can’t Seth or AJ beat Brock? Why does it have to be Kenny? I think Seth (or Black with some build) should be the ones to do it to usher in a new era and show fans they’re listening.

Kenny probably isn’t jumping. WWE needs to put faith in their current roster and start giving the fans what they want with them. For real this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->