Monthly News Thread (December 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
My concern with this is actually the spreading out of talent and resources. Some should (and do) pool their resources. But if AEW can score a TV deal, that will mean everything. Vince won't be scared of them (yet), but they're trying to gobble up as much talent as possible, and I'm sure the offers he's giving the Elite are pretty substantial.

The actual talent pool is pretty deep. The WWE just has no f***ing clue what to do with it all.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
What if Jinder wins the MMC, enters at 30, wins the Rumble, and then faces Brock for the title and wins it lol

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Meltzer said Fox wants 3.3-million viewers for Smackdown.

Oh boy. And it’s going to be a Friday night. They know what show they got, right? I mean... it’s the better show, but WWE products don’t churn out those numbers anymore and I doubt being in more homes will change that.

Meltzer says he expects a 25% bump but that Fox will be second guessing things when they routinely get 2-2.5m viewers.

Reactions: ColePens

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

Oh boy. And it’s going to be a Friday night. They know what show they got, right? I mean... it’s the better show, but WWE products don’t churn out those numbers anymore and I doubt being in more homes will change that.

Meltzer says he expects a 25% bump but that Fox will be second guessing things when they routinely get 2-2.5m viewers.

I think it depends on how committed Vince is to making this deal count. If they make it count, it bodes well for future TV earnings. They have a lot on the line with this deal and they need to perform.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I think Fox is going to be A LOT more hands on with SmackDown than USA was with RAW/SD.

I wouldn't be shocked to see HHH take over SmackDown creative, while Vince remains in control of RAW and the XFL. What Fox wants doesn't seem to line up with Vince's creative style, while it lines up with HHH's style more.

With Fox taking over next Fall, and the XFL launching a couple months later, it seems like a perfect time for HHH to take more control.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
They better up their storytelling work big time if they want consistent viewership. That's for damn sure. Look at the shows that do well. All their storytelling is great. WWE has to deliver. I would say this is the weakest era, by far, for storytelling.

Even if the wrestling was 1/100th of what it is today back in the mid 90s, the storytelling was at least there.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
They better up their storytelling work big time if they want consistent viewership. That's for damn sure. Look at the shows that do well. All their storytelling is great. WWE has to deliver. I would say this is the weakest era, by far, for storytelling.

Even if the wrestling was 1/100th of what it is today back in the mid 90s, the storytelling was at least there.

Two hours of The Man every week COULD get them to 3M ;)

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think Fox is going to be A LOT more hands on with SmackDown than USA was with RAW/SD.

I wouldn't be shocked to see HHH take over SmackDown creative, while Vince remains in control of RAW and the XFL. What Fox wants doesn't seem to line up with Vince's creative style, while it lines up with HHH's style more.

With Fox taking over next Fall, and the XFL launching a couple months later, it seems like a perfect time for HHH to take more control.

People really need to stop expecting that Vince is going to disappear from WWE when the XFL starts. He hired Oliver Luck for that. Just last month Doug Whaley (once GM of the Bills) was also hired. And Smackdown is going to be the A-show. Vince isn't going anywhere.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
People really need to stop expecting that Vince is going to disappear from WWE when the XFL starts. He hired Oliver Luck for that. Just last month Doug Whaley (once GM of the Bills) was also hired. And Smackdown is going to be the A-show. Vince isn't going anywhere.

I never said he was going to disappear.

I said he'd be focusing on RAW, (as well as other WWE programming and PPV's) as well as the XFL (which, yeah, others are involved, so will Vince), while HHH would take the control of SmackDown.

Which I think is a legitimate possibility, especially since FOX seems more interested in HHH's style, than Vince's style.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I never said he was going to disappear.

I said he'd be focusing on RAW, (as well as other WWE programming and PPV's) as well as the XFL (which, yeah, others are involved, so will Vince), while HHH would take the control of SmackDown.

Which I think is a legitimate possibility, especially since FOX seems more interested in HHH's style, than Vince's style.
Only way that happens is if Fox tells Vince to go f*** all the way off which isn't going to happen. If the plan was Hunter taking over either show, they'd be starting with that now on one of the shows.

People say all the time that Smackdown is so much better than Raw in how it's written -- Vince doesn't have any less control of Smackdown and he does of Raw. The man knows how to put decent television together, or maybe more apropos, allow it to happen. The problem is that he eschews much of it in order to try get HIS personal taste over because he thinks it should be over.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I mean, I would believe that if @M.C.G. 31 couldn't consistently write fantasy booking that is better than what WWE trouts out.

Sorry, but it's not hard to not have the title on Brock, who is never there
It's not hard, to have more than Brock, Roman and Braun in the main title picture in the last year or more
It's not hard, to give the wrestlers a bit more freedom with their promo's and what they can say
It's not hard, to constantly contradict things you wrote weeks before

Sorry, but "It's Hard" is bullshit.

What may be hard, is working under Vince McMahon, who wants full control and while he can still run the business and even produce the show, shouldn't be the one controlling the storytelling and creative direction.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Thanks @Cor but I’ve had people give me props for my fantasy booking before. The sad fact is that even if I wanted to work as a writer for WWE, I wouldn’t do it while Vince is alive. I can come up with all the ideas I can and would know less than 1% would actually be done.

I would say it’s hard to write a three hour show every week for a crazy old man who wants to change everything regardless of what’s in front of him, but if I were writing it for someone else, myself, someone like HHH, I’d probably jump at the chance tbh.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If they tell a story that takes time to build, 3 hours of tv is not as hard as they make it. Example: Gargano. What a beautiful arc. The problem is, like MCG said, Vince wants to change shit 24/7. It's impossible to write on the fly. A story has to take time to grow.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Jacobs is not wrong though. 3 hours is draining. For the audience and creative trying to keep everyone engaged. Vince doesn't care because more hours mean more money. His whole attitude is to sacrifice quality for cash. But imagine if someone told JJ Abrams or Joss Whedon "You're show is so great we want every episode to be two hours and run every week". No creative person would want that. On top of doing it in front of a live audience who will shit on it at a moments notice or worse, go silent and file for the exits.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
It’s hard but it really doesn’t have to be this bad or as hard as Vince makes it.

Two good writers could probably go in with no restraints or no Vince breathing down their necks, reboot the show in a month or two and be able to put out good content.

Three hours will always feel long but it doesn’t have to be bad imo.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Jacobs is right. His thought is just incomplete though I think we all know he means "writing a 3 hour show with Vince and his enforced decisions is hard".

In theory it doesn't have to be hard....but it is.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
it's not news but this made me laugh

"hey man... kayfabe."

– Christian appeared on Prime Time Time with Sean Mooney and recalled his early days in wrestling. Highlights are below, per WZ:

On meeting Goldust: There wasn’t even a show in Toronto, but WWE wrestlers had a layover, and we went into this bar. There were a bunch of guys there, one of them being Goldust. I thought this was my opportunity to let him know that I was in the fraternity, one of the boys. So, I give him a nudge on the shoulder, and he turns around. He’s like ‘Hey,’ and I’m like ‘Hey, man.’ I thought I was being really cool, and I went ‘Kayfabe.’ He’s just staring at me. I put my hand up and said ‘It’s okay, I’m a worker.’ He then goes ‘Oh, cool,’ and turns back around and finishes the conversation [he was having prior]. So, I was thinking that didn’t quite go down how I expected it. I’m about to walk away, and he grabs me by the arm, and asks me what my wrestling name is. I said, ‘I wrestle as Christian Cage,’ and he told me that he’d keep an eye out for me. Fast forward all these years and we’re working together in WWF. I tell him the story in front of a bunch of guys, and we’re all laughing. After everyone had left, he was like ‘Was I a dick to you?’ He was concerned that he was mean to me, and I said, ‘Listen, if the roles were reversed you were a lot nicer to me than I would be to you.'”

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
It’s hard but it really doesn’t have to be this bad or as hard as Vince makes it.

Two good writers could probably go in with no restraints or no Vince breathing down their necks, reboot the show in a month or two and be able to put out good content.

Three hours will always feel long but it doesn’t have to be bad imo.

I've said it before but shows need to 2½ hours long. Thskrt 20 minutes a away from Rsw and add 30 minutd to DD.

Oct 18, 2011

does Fox even know what they bought?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->