Monthly News Thread (August 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think people made way too much out of that comment.
It took a few days, but I knew it would come back up. It was a place he shouldn't have gone to, and in a sense it's a topic you should steer clear of, but awareness can only be made if people talk about it. He'll apologize and he'll do it again tonight because I think he understands but that's not to say he also shouldn't catch heat for it. Sometimes you have to say something stupid in order to understand its gravity.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
It took a few days, but I knew it would come back up. It was a place he shouldn't have gone to, and in a sense it's a topic you should steer clear of, but awareness can only be made if people talk about it. He'll apologize and he'll do it again tonight because I think he understands but that's not to say he also shouldn't catch heat for it. Sometimes you have to say something stupid in order to understand its gravity.

It wasn't even stupid when it's kept in context and people actually think about what he's saying there. He wasn't talking about her weight in a traditional sense. He was talking about her breast implants and the differences in her looks from her NXT days prior to breast implants to what she is now. And like it or not, the WWE factors in looks and it's fair to have that discussion even when it's about women. He should've known that they can't have that kind of discussion because people either won't understand or will take it out of context to get a rise out of people. But in reality, the looks of a performer is perfectly in-bounds to discuss as it is part of the job.

Reactions: quoipourquoi

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
lots of wrestlers are calling him out. its not like we're all idiots and only a few understood the comment.
he apologized fast and more than once too. so he knows pretty well he shouldnt have said it.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It wasn't even stupid when it's kept in context and people actually think about what he's saying there. He wasn't talking about her weight in a traditional sense. He was talking about her breast implants and the differences in her looks from her NXT days prior to breast implants to what she is now. And like it or not, the WWE factors in looks and it's fair to have that discussion even when it's about women. He should've known that they can't have that kind of discussion because people either won't understand or will take it out of context to get a rise out of people. But in reality, the looks of a performer is perfectly in-bounds to discuss as it is part of the job.
Wrestling for umpteen years has objectified women for everything that was worth and thus became like an indoctrinated culture, especially in WWE, with the audience of one that is Vince McMahon. So, I can see where it can be difficult to find that balance when you're trying to analyze both sides in taste and in this spot, Dave didn't. Like I said, I think he understands while still right to be critical of the point.

Reactions: BonMorrison

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI

Yeah, from listening, I understood what he meant in saying “lighter” in the context of her “transformation”. Not exactly a Piggie James thing, but it looks like people are taking it that way instead of an overly careful way of saying she underwent cosmetic surgery.

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I know that self-righteous, under-informed mobs are the way of the internet these last few years, but yes he meant that she got implants and he didn't think that it was necessary. What a monster. Now, if he did mean that she was out of shape or fat, that would be somewhat different. Of course that sort of discussion has been going on with regard to the male wrestlers for decades - consider Vince famously ripping his whole roster, other than Buddy Rose of course, in the early 90s and demanding that they get in better shape, or territorial promoters openly looking for good looking men to wrestle and attract female fans - so while it would be a bit unseemly of Meltzer it wouldn't be some shocking double standard in the wrestling industry.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
lots of wrestlers are calling him out. its not like we're all idiots and only a few understood the comment.
he apologized fast and more than once too. so he knows pretty well he shouldnt have said it.

Of course they are because Peyton responded but it's obvious from Peyton's response that she only caught the snippet where it is being taken out of context. He apologized because it's smart for his business to do so. Arguing with the mob even when you're in the right is rarely a good business move. If people were being intellectually honest on this subject, his opinion isn't out of bounds.

Wrestling for umpteen years has objectified women for everything that was worth and thus became like an indoctrinated culture, especially in WWE, with the audience of one that is Vince McMahon. So, I can see where it can be difficult to find that balance when you're trying to analyze both sides in taste and in this spot, Dave didn't. Like I said, I think he understands while still right to be critical of the point.

I agree that women have been objectified but it's wrestling. All the performers are objectified. They will still be objectified as long as the business exists. The only difference is that these days are a far more acceptable amount of objectification for women than it was then. However, you can't have an intellectually honest discussion about a female performer in wrestling without analyzing their looks and if you're comparing one's look to a different past look, things like breast enhancement and even weight if it was the actual issue can't be dismissed out of hand because it may not be well-received. It was a touchy subject with landmines because it's talking about a woman's breasts. But in wrestling, when a woman has that procedure while they are in the middle of their career, that discussion is inevitable and it happens to be something that influences your ability to do a lot of things in the business. They influence your ability to work. They influence your ability to get over. It may not be a comfortable topic of conversation but it's a legitimate one to have that isn't rooted in misogyny and it's not rooted in being shallow. This issue became what it is because most people only heard a little snippet and confused it with him talking about her weight when that wasn't the case.

Yeah, from listening, I understood what he meant in saying “lighter” in the context of her “transformation”. Not exactly a Piggie James thing, but it looks like people are taking it that way instead of an overly careful way of saying she underwent cosmetic surgery.

It was one of those things that he probably wouldn't have garnered this sort of reaction if he was more direct and probably more crass and just came out and said it's because of her breast enhancement. Still probably would've been picked out of context and presented as him being shallow but at least it would've been on point to what was being discussed.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Royce is carrying 110 or so pounds extra called Billie Kay.

But hey, employer suggested implants, lets strike that blow for feminism!

Reactions: Fro

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
36-minutes plus on this from Dave today, I’d say he sufficiently covered it and showed remorse having listened to it.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
I just realized Dean Ambrose has 540K followers without a single tweet. His bio is “they made me get a Twitter.... enjoy” and his picture is the headshot from when he first debuted on WWE TV.

That’s hilarious

Last edited:

quoipourquoi

Goaltender
Jan 26, 2009
Hockeytown, MI
36-minutes plus on this from Dave today, I’d say he sufficiently covered it and showed remorse having listened to it.

Only briefly alluded to the fact that what he said was misinterpreted and kept the focus on what he saw as the most important things: the feelings of Peyton Royce, the pressures that women in the entertainment industry are under, and how everyone (himself included) needs to be more conscience of this when speaking.

If it was me, I’d be digging in my heels trying to make sure everyone knew what I really meant, but that’s a good half-hour of Meltzer saying that it doesn’t matter what is meant but how the other person interprets it. He’s good people.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Ambrose used to use that twitter account. It was actually really funny and he also used to to build the program with Foley. Then he scrubbed it and hasn’t touched it since.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
- Ronda Rousey said she had a "set time line" when entering the industry but she's not so sure about it anymore because she loves being a part of WWE so much more than she thought and it'd be really hard for her to leave.

- Randy Orton supposedly joked around during the dark main event at Smackdown about the sexual harassment allegations by going around to ringside crew and trying to shake their hands while laughing about it.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
^Well of course Orton's going to joke around, he's been "reprimanded" a few times before for past transgressions and it doesn't appear to have any impact whatsoever. He still gets pushed, still has tenure, still has creative control, and isn't likely to be fired any time soon.

Reactions: GarbageGoal

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
- Sin Cara had surgery on Tuesday night. Sin Cara sensed something was wrong with his knee this past weekend, and had it checked out. Turned out there was scar tissue hindering the ability of his knee joint. He was already doing rehab work on the knee on Wednesday. There's no timetable for his return, but it is not expected to be too long.

- Big Show said he's close to being cleared for a return to the ring, and says it might come as soon as Sunday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad