Monthly News Thread (April 2019)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
If CM Punk truly does have intentions of coming back and goes to AEW, all of what you said makes sense.

Until then, it's strange thinking.
It's not strange for a wrestling company to want the biggest wrestling star that is (realistically) available? Punk is a long shot, yes, but it's not impossible. It's not like they are going after Rock, who WWE can't even book.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Anyone still doubting the guy is a massive mark?
If you were starting a new wrestling promotion from the ground up, would you not want to at least try and build around the biggest free agent in pro wrestling who would spark the most buzz?

AEW would be the talk of the land and have instant eyeballs if people found out CM Punk would end his retirement to join AEW.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
If you were starting a new wrestling promotion from the ground up, would you not want to at least try and build around the biggest free agent in pro wrestling who would spark the most buzz?

AEW would be the talk of the land and have instant eyeballs if people found out CM Punk would end his retirement to join AEW.

Hulk Hogan and Steve Austin are also kinda free agents you know?

Punk has not wrestle regularly for 5 years. 5 YEARS!

They have Omega. They should build around HIM and having CM Punk should be a BONUS!

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

They have Omega. They should build around HIM and having CM Punk should be a BONUS!
You bring CM Punk in first to get the eyeballs and then when you have your base, people stick around for Kenny and The Bucks and the like.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
40 is still young in the wrestling world, especially when you’ve deducted five years off your bump card (minus getting beat up in MMA).

I imagine Kahn has been smartened up that this is a long shot, but I don’t blame him for thinking it.

And every wrestling fan is a mark. Can we stop throwing that word around like we’re above it all, please?

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

Omega, as great as he is, doesn't necessarily bring in the casual base that CM Punk would.

If AEW ever signed CM Punk, they instantly become the talk of the wrestling world. They instantly become that much stronger.

And frankly, if you want to sign CM Punk, you essentially need to say that the company would be built around him. That he would be the star. Because Punk has a strong ego, and he likes hearing that sort of thing.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Vince has lifted the ban on the term “belts”.

The situation with Sasha remains unchanged and they’re in a stalemate.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas

you run with Omega as the focus and you dont do any better than ROH.

You need a couple big names that the general public knows to get people's interest and get them to tune in. Once you have the eyeballs you can transition to the young guys that are actually going to carry the promotion.

AEW's #1 goal right now is get attention and get viewers.

I dont think AEW plans to build around Punk or Jericho. They are the attractions that get initial attention for the promotion

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
you run with Omega as the focus and you dont do any better than ROH.

You need a couple big names that the general public knows to get people's interest and get them to tune in. Once you have the eyeballs you can transition to the young guys that are actually going to carry the promotion.

AEW's #1 goal right now is get attention and get viewers.

I dont think AEW plans to build around Punk or Jericho. They are the attractions that get initial attention for the promotion

The news say build around. And that would be dumb.

Use them as attractions and then build around Omega and others, now, I agree.

Building around Punk is a mark move.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
The news say build around. And that would be dumb.

Use them as attractions and then build around Omega and others, now, I agree.

Building around Punk is a mark move.

I mean, I fully expect Jericho or Punk to be their first champion. But I also think the immediate storyline is Omega chasing them down for and winning the title and taking off from there

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
That, I can agree with.

I am not saying Khan is a mark because he wants to bring in Punk (which I agree is a good move). Building around him would be a huge mistake though.

This is true. There is a difference between hiring Punk and building around Punk. He's a name that's better known than most of the AEW guys, but he also isn't Hulk Hogan 1984 or Austin in 1997. You hire him, promote him, use his promos, and put him in a prominent spot. Given what we know about Punk and how prickly he is, he isn't a big enough name to justify building a promotion around him though.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Punk isn't a guy that you would probably want to build around for more than a couple of years, but he's a great centerpiece. Highly visible, great talker, incredibly charismatic, brings instant credibility, symbolizes the segment of fans that are over WWE. He is the right guy to want if you are starting a major promotion.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
The two weeks he was on the commentary desk were awesome. I suspect he wasn't even listening to what was coming thru the headset.

You'd do it the first time and you would not stick if the product sucked.

I mean, that's kinda the point, no? I doubt AEW is going to suck.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Of all the great things NXT under Triple H given us, Punk going nuts on commentary on the original NXT will always be remembered.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad