Monthly News Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Apparently they were in talks for 3 weeks, Batista said they’d tease it throughout the year and he’d come back a couple of times to do it, and it’s be this big final match at WM35. Then they stopped calling him and wouldn’t return his calls. He even texted HHH asking what was going on and not even HHH texted him back.

And it appears now they’re doing what Batista wanted to do, but with Kurt Angle

So why not call Batista and say “hey man, we’re using Angle in that spot, but what if we did a program with you and Randy or a young guy you never faced”

It’s so simple
CM Punk shaking his head in disgust lol

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
CM Punk shaking his head in disgust lol

What part? Batista coming back for a final match at WrestleMania and helping get some eyes on the product through cross-promotion, or using him to help build a younger guy?

Oct 18, 2011
Yeah I'd bet Vince isn't who dropped the ball with Batista. Then again he's probably clueless about how big infinity war is

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
TIL Chris Jericho was so irate at having to face Fandango at WM and put him over that he almost quit the company until The Undertaker called him and told him to not do anything stupid and just do the job.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
TIL Chris Jericho was so irate at having to face Fandango at WM and put him over that he almost quit the company until The Undertaker called him and told him to not do anything stupid and just do the job.
Its still one of the most random things. Fandango won a WM match against Jericho...

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
WWE talent:

- flew back from Saudi Arabia
- got to spend some time at home (not long, a few hours)
- fly to New York to get their connecting flight to Montreal for Raw
- connecting flight was cancelled, so whatever talent had their flight cancelled now have to drive 6 hours to get to Montreal for Raw.

jeez, imagine that jet lag tho

it's amazing you don't hear of more superstars falling into "vices" with travel like this compared to even as recent as the late 2000s

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Its still one of the most random things. Fandango won a WM match against Jericho...

Honestly, it makes sense in the abstract to have someone debut and win at Wrestlemania. The problem was the character Fandango was not the character to do that with. lol

That's something that you do with someone like Kenny Omega or someone of that stature making their WWE debut.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Backlash actually has a low-key good card.

Nakamura vs Styles
Rollins vs Miz
Cass vs Bryan
Reigns vs Joe
Charlotte vs Carmella
Bliss vs Nia
Orton vs Jeff

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
the good thing about dual ppvs (that arent 5h long)
but lots of guys i like are missing. hopefully theystill get a chance. not always booking the same people for ppvs.

but yeah backlash looks good.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Backlash actually has a low-key good card.

Nakamura vs Styles
Rollins vs Miz
Cass vs Bryan
Reigns vs Joe
Charlotte vs Carmella
Bliss vs Nia
Orton vs Jeff
aside from Nakamura/Styles, Reigns/Joe it's not really that good imo. Rollins/Miz should be alright, I guess. The others don't do anything for me, although I'd rather watch an Orton match than seeing Roode get on the card.

apparently the prince of Saudi Arabia wanted Ultimate Warrior and Yokozuna in the GRR but wasn't aware that they had died, so Vince put Hiroki in there because he looked like Yokozuna lol.

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
aside from Nakamura/Styles, Reigns/Joe it's not really that good imo. Rollins/Miz should be alright, I guess. The others don't do anything for me, although I'd rather watch an Orton match than seeing Roode get on the card.
Yeah, I was doing the GDT for later and was like "yay, lots of singles matches", but then I saw there was Miz, Cass, Carmella, Nia, Alexa involved and the excitement dropped a bit... The matches will be fine, but they're not really ones I'd actively want to see.

The other two matches are great so I'm still happy with the card overall. I expect they'll add a match or two yet too.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF

apparently the prince of Saudi Arabia wanted Ultimate Warrior and Yokozuna in the GRR but wasn't aware that they had died, so Vince put Hiroki in there because he looked like Yokozuna lol.

Daniel Bryan match will never be bad. Cass is pretty solid in the ring even if he's horrible as a character.

Charlotte vs Carmella is likely going to be a fairly quick match, with Charlotte getting her title back.

Nia vs Bliss has been a good program for Nia (despite all of us cringing at its basis). The match will be whatever though, you're right.

Randy Orton vs Jeff Hardy should be a good match? Even though there's 0 story to it really. I imagine Orton might turn heel, so that will make him better

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Daniel Bryan match will never be bad. Cass is pretty solid in the ring even if he's horrible as a character.

Charlotte vs Carmella is likely going to be a fairly quick match, with Charlotte getting her title back.

Nia vs Bliss has been a good program for Nia (despite all of us cringing at its basis). The match will be whatever though, you're right.

Randy Orton vs Jeff Hardy should be a good match? Even though there's 0 story to it really. I imagine Orton might turn heel, so that will make him better
Cass is even worse than Corbin. Cass also won't really be in ring shape in terms of cardio.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Cass is even worse than Corbin. Cass also won't really be in ring shape in terms of cardio.

Yeah but Bryan is the perfect guy to have in there to cover that up. Cass' offense should be slow and deliberate. Bryan's offense can include plenty of holds that point to Bryan potentially getting a tap out victory. Bryan's offense, save for a couple spots, isn't high-paced.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
When you see the speed and athleticism of a guy like Braun...all these other big guys in the company look slow and clumsy. Braun is a freakish athlete for his size. Big guys have always been a thing in this business but I think Braun kinda ruins it for the other guys around 7 feet or 300+ pounds. To be scary good in the ring plus have some likeable charisma...it's a challenge for those other guys in that sub-species to thrive.

Cass has some athleticism but he's not nearly as smooth in the ring as Braun. His character is already greatly improved with last week's Smackdown segment with Miz. I'll keep an open mind with this mini-feud with Bryan.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Yeah but Bryan is the perfect guy to have in there to cover that up. Cass' offense should be slow and deliberate. Bryan's offense can include plenty of holds that point to Bryan potentially getting a tap out victory. Bryan's offense, save for a couple spots, isn't high-paced.
Doesn’t mean it’ll be a good match. Cass is legit one of the worst guys in the company imo. Worse than Corbin especially.

I would have rather had Corbin vs. Bryan.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Why is Corbin the new benchmark for being bad? There's significantly worse than him and he's actually been a positive in several matches imo. A bunch of multiman matches that had Styles so they probably don't count but he still added to them, imo.

...but yeah Cass is a bottom 3 overall talent in the company imo. At least Corbin has some sexy as all hell moves (Deep Six and End of Days are both gorgeous moves) while Cass has an ugly ass...elbow drop?

Reactions: Fro

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
When you see the speed and athleticism of a guy like Braun...all these other big guys in the company look slow and clumsy. Braun is a freakish athlete for his size. Big guys have always been a thing in this business but I think Braun kinda ruins it for the other guys around 7 feet or 300+ pounds. To be scary good in the ring plus have some likeable charisma...it's a challenge for those other guys in that sub-species to thrive.

Cass has some athleticism but he's not nearly as smooth in the ring as Braun. His character is already greatly improved with last week's Smackdown segment with Miz. I'll keep an open mind with this mini-feud with Bryan.

It makes it difficult to work with Braun instead of easier, I would think. He's certainly not the lumbering beast that we're used to. In the mixed match challenge I forget who he chased down outside the ring, but I think it was the Miz, but even match planning must be hard.

Its like with Rousey who in her first debut showed that she's just an unbelievably well trained pure athlete. I'm sure a lot of girls are wondering about how you work with someone with her combination of speed, strength and coordination and come out looking ok.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Why is Corbin the new benchmark for being bad? There's significantly worse than him and he's actually been a positive in several matches imo. A bunch of multiman matches that had Styles so they probably don't count but he still added to them, imo.

...but yeah Cass is a bottom 3 overall talent in the company imo. At least Corbin has some sexy as all hell moves (Deep Six and End of Days are both gorgeous moves) while Cass has an ugly ass...elbow drop?

I saw a description of Corbin the other day that I quite like: he's a spot monkey for power moves, and he's good at it. It's just the rest of wrestling where he's not as good. That's why he always looks good when working with someone who's actually good or in big spot filled multi-man matches.

And that's not really a bad thing. Making someone look good is what match composition and booking is about, and you can really do well with someone who can look good if you let them.

Reactions: Paris in Flames

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne

The thing with big guys is they're often actually athletic when they start out. Strowman, despite being 34, has only been wrestling for three years. Go back and look at Big Show when he was first starting and in great shape, Andre was amazing in his early years too. Guys like Kane and 'Taker too.

The problem is they get old and beat up and it really really slows them down. Humans are not meant to be that big or do wrestling, so they really suffer for it. Far more then normal sized guys.

Reactions: tonyhawks77

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Doesn’t mean it’ll be a good match. Cass is legit one of the worst guys in the company imo. Worse than Corbin especially.

I would have rather had Corbin vs. Bryan.

I agree that Cass is one of the worst guys but I think Bryan can carry him to a good match for what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad