Monthly News Thread (April 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Big Show was announced for that event and signed a new deal per postwrestling. It is a part time deal and he is not retired

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Unfortunately, I think they're going to put the US Title match on the preshow. A lot of options are there to open the show. I could see Strowman opening the show winning the tag titles and that'll get a big pop as well as an immediate mystery partner.

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Will WWE really put Orton on the pre-show though?

SD tag titles (if it's a ladder match) or Bryan match would be my votes for opening match.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I’m pretty confident Intercontinental title opens the main card.

Danielson has been announced for the 50-man rumble, too.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Will WWE really put Orton on the pre-show though?

SD tag titles (if it's a ladder match) or Bryan match would be my votes for opening match.

I think the Bryan match needs to be in the middle. Shane is too much of a risk, I feel, to open the show. Even assuming Shane is 100%, he just doesn't put on that kind of a match with guys like DB, Zayn, and KO that it would work to open. There are a lot of good options to choose from to open the show though between AJ/Shin, SD Tag Titles, Raw Tag Titles, the Men's Battle Royal if they put it on the main card, Charlotte/Asuka, even the IC Triple Threat especially if they make that match a Slingblade Only Match.

SeidoN

#OGOC #2018 HFW Predictions Champ
Aug 8, 2012
AEF
NJPW free match of the week. Cant think why they picked this one but hey, it looks good

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I feel like there's no hype for WM at all and we're a week away

I would say DB generated some hype, but I totally feel what you are saying. I noticed some podcasts I listen to randomly talk about wrestling like once every 3-4 months. But I like their take on it because they aren't diehard internet fans. They are just casuals. And it blew my mind to hear them say "I am so happy Daniel Bryan is wrestling at Wrestlemania. I'm going to tune in to watch just for him... but im turning off when Roman Reigns is on. That guy is not the face I want to cheer for."

Blew my mind. It's not just internet fans. It's seriously wrestling fans of all sorts. If he was a heel - he'd be so freaking awesome.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
What's strange about the build is how many people are NOT on the shows.

Lesnar - no-show angle
Ronda - off like 2 shows and did an interview
Steph & Hunter - off most of the recent shows and did an interview
Roman - suspended
Undertaker - retired
Owens - fired
Zayn - fired
Shane - voluntary leave of absence
Danielson - missed a few shows before he was cleared
Charlotte - missed a show because of dental surgery

That's a lot of your main people consistently off the shows.

And it's not like there's been enough time on these shows to give them something every single week.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
DB’s return definitely has me leaning more towards the watch side now, but I’m definitely not excited.

I am not sure I will watch the whole show either. Depends on whether the Florida/Boston game still has playoff implications or not.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
What's strange about the build is how many people are NOT on the shows.

Lesnar - no-show angle
Ronda - off like 2 shows and did an interview
Steph & Hunter - off most of the recent shows and did an interview
Roman - suspended
Undertaker - retired
Owens - fired
Zayn - fired
Shane - voluntary leave of absence
Danielson - missed a few shows before he was cleared
Charlotte - missed a show because of dental surgery

That's a lot of your main people consistently off the shows.

And it's not like there's been enough time on these shows to give them something every single week.
The roster is so big it's nuts. And that's not even including the likes of Joe, Ambrose and Jordan. They've done a good job with the WM card, but the builds for some matches have lacked because of this, imo.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Anyways, some news:

- A few hundred tickets remain available for Wrestlemania 34. The show was looking like it wouldn't sell out before Bryan was cleared.

- The feeling is that FOX will not renew with UFC and have set their sights on WWE. The UFC had initially hoped a deal would be done by the end of 2017, but that obviously hasn't happened yet. FOX is more interested in WWE as they feel they could get WWE for a similar price as UFC, but get better ratings with WWE's programming. FOX was looking to make an offer of $200-million a year to UFC, whereas UFC was eyeing the $450-million range.

- Paul Heyman did an interview and praised Cody Rhodes, as reminding him of Steve Austin and his frustration when he left WCW, and praised The Usos, saying their promos are so progressive and different and that they could go down as the greatest tag team of all time when all is set and done. He also praised The Usos for always wanting to be the defining tag team of this generation -- not just have good matches and a catchy entrance.

- Big Show will induct Mark Henry into the Hall of Fame.

Reactions: tonyhawks77

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Summerslam is way too far away for something like that, you'd be sitting on it for ages so it wouldn't make sense to do it.

But you've got Money in the Bank happening first, which is going to be a bigger show this year. That might be an option for something like that, or even just Backlash before then.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->