Value of: Monhan + for point? What would it take

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
I think this is actually a pretty interesting proposal. I think it would be fair straight up when you consider contract status - Point is the more dynamic player, but will also cost around 9 mil per to lock up. Monahan gives the Lightning a cheaper option for a minor downgrade, something they might consider given their impending cap crunch.

That said, both guys fit well on their current teams, doubt it would happen though.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Point's contract won't be that much higher than Monahan's that we would downgrade our 1C. We would save maybe 2-2.5mil. We'll get rid of some other players to help with the cap.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Point's contract won't be that much higher than Monahan's that we would downgrade our 1C. We would save maybe 2-2.5mil. We'll get rid of some other players to help with the cap.
I think you’re being optimistic about Point’s next contract. Given the tax advantage maybe you’re right but I think Point could get a huge contract.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Point is much much better than BSM. It'd be a significant plus and CGY doesn't really have a lot of pieces that TBL would be too crazy about.

Honestly with the level of players you are talking you would likely need to turn it into a biggest blockbuster to make this all work out.

Something like Tkachuk+Monahan for Point+Miller+Raddysh+Katchouk. (That value isn't right but you get the idea that you'd need to widen the scope.)

If you're going to take away TBL's 2nd or 3rd best player you need to give them a real reason to go for it. I think to make it close you'd need to get super messy with it.

Canadian Canuck

Hughes4Calder
Jul 30, 2013
Kamloops BC
Point is much much better than BSM. It'd be a significant plus and CGY doesn't really have a lot of pieces that TBL would be too crazy about.

Honestly with the level of players you are talking you would likely need to turn it into a biggest blockbuster to make this all work out.

Something like Tkachuk+Monahan for Point+Miller+Raddysh+Katchouk. (That value isn't right but you get the idea that you'd need to widen the scope.)

If you're going to take away TBL's 2nd or 3rd best player you need to give them a real reason to go for it. I think to make it close you'd need to get super messy with it.

Tkachuk and Monahan for Point and some okay pieces? Yeah this is very bad for the Flames.

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada

So an 80 point centre and 70 point winger for an 80 point centre and random crap?

Reactions: Dooble08

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

That's way too much. Tkachuk is basically untouchable in Calgary, he's not some throw in.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
So an 80 point centre and 70 point winger for an 80 point centre and random crap?
Tkachuk and Monahan for Point and some okay pieces? Yeah this is very bad for the Flames.
That's way too much. Tkachuk is basically untouchable in Calgary, he's not some throw in.

You all are missing the point, read the parenthesis again.

What I'm trying to get at is if you are asking a team for a special player like point you have to seriously give up something special back in return and on top of that have a very compelling reason to make the move. CGY doesn't really have a single player that does that, nor would adding something marginal on top of BSM address that either. So you would need to expand the trade in some way to meet that criteria.

Adding on MT and then balancing it out would possibly accomplish that and while I'm sure Tkachuk is untouchable from the flames, you're asking for Point who is more untouchable and TBL has no reason to get rid of so of course that's what you're going to have to do. You don't get to ask for other teams untouchables while protecting your own, it goes both ways. (This is from a neutral fan also btw)

East Coast Icestyle

Mar 6, 2015
Nova Scotia, Canada
You all are missing the point, read the parenthesis again.

What I'm trying to get at is if you are asking a team for a special player like point you have to seriously give up something special back in return and on top of that have a very compelling reason to make the move. CGY doesn't really have a single player that does that, nor would adding something marginal on top of BSM address that either. So you would need to expand the trade in some way to meet that criteria.

Adding on MT and then balancing it out would possibly accomplish that and while I'm sure Tkachuk is untouchable from the flames, you're asking for Point who is more untouchable and TBL has no reason to get rid of so of course that's what you're going to have to do. You don't get to ask for other teams untouchables while protecting your own, it goes both ways. (This is from a neutral fan also btw)

Look you're rambling on like Point is a league better than Monahan. He's not. People can use line mates if they want liek Gaudreau is be all end all, Point was stapled to Kucherov, a 130 point forward, from quarter 2 of the season on. Monahan and Point scored nearly the same. Provide the same intangibles. Monahan is bigger. Will be cheaper. Matt Tkachuk is younger and on a nearly the same production path as point and is literally the mold of player this team has always missed. You adding on a 2nd line forward on a meh contract and 2 prospects that might never make the NHL is asinine. Point isn't good enough to warrant this dumb trade idea you've provided regardless of your reasoning.

If you're a neutral fan, maybe you should worry about your team.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
I know TB needs to make some changes, but this is not the guy we need to change.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
This is a tough trade. Part of me would be worried Point's production is more part of the situation he is in than Monahan

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
what would it take? Monahan on a cheap contract for another 5 years, would help tampas cap a lot

Neither team does this.

It does not help Tampa Bay in any way, unless that + is something of value and Calgary is not going to do that.

It does not help Calgary because Point does not put Calgary over the top, we'd be in the same situation as we are in now, with Point being better than Monahan but still not able to put the Flames over the top.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Look you're rambling on like Point is a league better than Monahan. He's not. People can use line mates if they want liek Gaudreau is be all end all, Point was stapled to Kucherov, a 130 point forward, from quarter 2 of the season on. Monahan and Point scored nearly the same. Provide the same intangibles. Monahan is bigger. Will be cheaper. Matt Tkachuk is younger and on a nearly the same production path as point and is literally the mold of player this team has always missed. You adding on a 2nd line forward on a meh contract and 2 prospects that might never make the NHL is asinine. Point isn't good enough to warrant this dumb trade idea you've provided regardless of your reasoning.

If you're a neutral fan, maybe you should worry about your team.

Point is an elite player and while BSM is a very good player, he isn't that close. If you disagree on player evaluations then that's totally fine by me, that's what makes hockey so interesting and allows for smart GMs to win one sided trades. However if your issue is for the 3rd time you can't read the bracketed point on the original post and continue to misinterpret the post then I can't help you there if you can't even do that. The "dumb trade idea" was an example to illustrate the overall point I am trying to highlight, not a literal proposal, which I acknowledged.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad