- Shot blocking
- Relatively Durable
- Loyal
- Leadership

Cons
- Size
- Strength
- Low offence

Many will scoff, but he's not completely useless. He isn't an analytics darling though, and IMO since Chia overpaid him, he's not undervalued.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Kris Russell?

Pros
- Decent PHD
- Shot blocking
- Relatively Durable
- Loyal
- Leadership

Cons
- Size
- Strength
- Low offence

Many will scoff, but he's not completely useless. He isn't an analytics darling though, and IMO since Chia overpaid him, he's not undervalued.

Most Advanced stats hate him and he's probably overpaid as well. So he might be the opposite of a moneypuck player.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
I thought Russel was before Chia overpaid him. I'd say most players that go undrafted and make the NHL are underpaid for most of their careers.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Some solid hockey traits that are not directly measured in stats:

1) "heavy", "grit", "tough" - Physical presence.
this is especially important in the playoffs, as a team with big hitter can injure (p.c. term is "wear down") the opponents.

(example: tom wilson, evander kane, Gudas)

2) Speed - Can draw penalties, Can tire opponents for another line to take advantage of. (obviously direct offense ffrom speed is measured in points stats

(Athanasiou, Grabner, McDavid)

3) Solid Board play - Probably measured in assists and corsi for forwards. But likely only measured in some degree for defencemen.

(I do not have a keen eye for this.. )

4) Consistent play / mistake free. - Very hard to actually measure this through any stat. Depends on player style and role.

(Example of the opposite of this: Brendan Smith - great advanced stats, but very prone to large mistakes that "coach infuriators")

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Yeah they just ran the analysis over the available players and picked the best.

I love it, good on Vegas.

Their success is a strong testament of how important analytics is.

They came in with a fresh mindset and built a contender from numbers. It's beautiful.

Yes and no. Almost every single pick they made was who everyone expected. They simply took the best that was available to them. That's more on the team who exposed them rather than Vegas.

Now if they took more off the board picks and still stayed competitive I'd give them more credit. Like if Nosek (the one guy most didn't see coming) turned into a 30 goal scorer. Yet he has 12 points.

This is much more on incredible coaching, players having something to prove, and luck IMO.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
p.s. in regards to "vegas" pulling off some kind of moneyball. I do not think they did that....

they targetted young players (improving in potential or at peak)
they targetted "no" bad contracts unless another team gave them a load of draft picks to take it.
they targetted draft picks from teams who needed to protect a star player, again this comes back to age usually.

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I'd say Matthew Perreault would be a good one for that category. Just without checking stats.

And I think Vegas totally moneypucked a lot. That's why they are competitive immediately. I would have answered Erik Haula last season but Vegas proved that theory for me.

Perreault was the first guy I thought of - doesn't put up crazy numbers but has a huge contribution

Did somebody make an Evander Kane joke yet?

Second thing I thought of :laugh:

For the Jets, maybe someone like Enstrom - doesn't score many points anymore but he's been one of our most consistently solid players for years now.

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Is difficult to figure out moneyball in hockey compared to baseball. I'd look at cost per point or something in the NHL. In Baseball it's more about measuring how many wins a player is worth and they haven't really figured out a way of doing that yet in the NHL, although I think some have tried.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Is difficult to figure out moneyball in hockey compared to baseball. I'd look at cost per point or something in the NHL. In Baseball it's more about measuring how many wins a player is worth and they haven't really figured out a way of doing that yet in the NHL, although I think some have tried.

There are some WAR-esque models out there for hockey. I think Manny Elk had one? Seemed reasonable, and broke the player's contributions down into inutitive categories like ES offense (shooting talent + shot attempts for), ES defense (shot attempts against), PP/PK value, penalty differential, etc.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Most Advanced stats hate him and he's probably overpaid as well. So he might be the opposite of a moneypuck player.

I meant before he was overpaid, he did on occasion seem to fit. He didn't have high marks in many of the typical categories, but always contributed quite a bit.

I do think you may enjoy this article though. I wonder if sometimes "money puck" is more issues with style fit rather than pure analytics due to significant differences in the sports allowing for individuality to bleed through more in hockey than in baseball.

The Box | By Jim Rutherford

24 others

Jan 30, 2017
I was looking for something a bit similar in this thread:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/swiss-army-knife-players.2389825/

Also, I highly approve of the use of advanced Corgis.

7a280cc9dd6db51f71de5579da8d94cc.jpg

Reactions: Seanaconda

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Kris Russell?

Pros
- Decent PHD
- Shot blocking
- Relatively Durable
- Loyal
- Leadership

Cons
- Size
- Strength
- Low offence

He is opposite of moneypuck. He's an advanced stats nightmare

I think op wants someone with great corsi but has had bad luck so would be cheap. Domi if he was cheaper . Or I guess e Kane. Someone that tilts the ice but can't score or is cheap for whatever reason

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Kris Russell?

Pros
- Decent PHD
- Shot blocking
- Relatively Durable
- Loyal
- Leadership

Cons
- Size
- Strength
- Low offence

Most of what you listed as "Pros" would make him a good guard dog, not a good moneypuck player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad