WWE: Monday Night Raw 190: Mean Gene-o-Mania! Put out that cigarette!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
I wonder to start if something like Netlix could be good for a weekly show, I know it didnt work so well with Lucha Underground, but this is a more traditional style promotion I am assuming. And we all know Netflix will greenlight anything. :D

I am just curious what other networks would take the plunge back into wrestling. TNT/TBS would be cool.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com
I wonder to start if something like Netlix could be good for a weekly show, I know it didnt work so well with Lucha Underground, but this is a more traditional style promotion I am assuming. And we all know Netflix will greenlight anything. :D

I am just curious what other networks would take the plunge back into wrestling. TNT/TBS would be cool.

Yeah, Netflix, DAZN, something like that.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I don't think it's a good fit for Netflix at all. Their product is bulk content that people binge watch, not weekly shows that you'll watch weekly by appointment. Wrestling and sports are basically the opposite of what they do.

There are other streaming platforms that they could end up on, but it wouldn't be any different from just doing their own streaming like other promotions do. Maybe they'd get better technology to power it or some assistance with the production side, but that's nothing they can't fix by throwing money at it anyway.

The important aspect of all this is always going to be exposure and ease of access for new views. And the reality is that right now the only way to get both is via a (fairly notable) TV channel carrying them.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
I don't think it's a good fit for Netflix at all. Their product is bulk content that people binge watch, not weekly shows that you'll watch weekly by appointment. Wrestling and sports are basically the opposite of what they do.

There are other streaming platforms that they could end up on, but it wouldn't be any different from just doing their own streaming like other promotions do. Maybe they'd get better technology to power it or some assistance with the production side, but that's nothing they can't fix by throwing money at it anyway.

The important aspect of all this is always going to be exposure and ease of access for new views. And the reality is that right now the only way to get both is via a (fairly notable) TV channel carrying them.

Yes and no.

Netflix has definitely adopted the weekly episode format to an extent. While its not what they're known for they definitely do it.

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
Yes and no.

Netflix has definitely adopted the weekly episode format to an extent. While its not what they're known for they definitely do it.
Yeah, but their weekly release stuff retains value. It goes into their catalogue for bulk viewing for years to come, which is what they are selling to their subscribers.

Wrestling and sports are very much a now or never kind of thing. There's very little value in the past episodes of a weekly wrestling show compared to a season of a normal TV show.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

What you get by going with an existing streaming service is reach. If we do your own, you have WAY bigger marketing efforts to make, especially since it would be for a brand new brand with no following yet.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
This isn't just raw, but WWE in general. Does anyone ever realize that when we ask WWE for something, they either don't do it or they do it and they just do it wrong.

We wanted a heel Dean, but he's a germaphobe getting vaccines in the ass.

We wanted a heel Lashley and now he's posing like a playboy model.

We (I) wanted the Authors of Pain (their real name) to be tag champs and they won a handicap match with a manager that pisses himself.

Reactions: iamjs

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
What you get by going with an existing streaming service is reach. If we do your own, you have WAY bigger marketing efforts to make, especially since it would be for a brand new brand with no following yet.
That's not reach.

Reach in this case would be giving as many people as possible the ability to watch your product. (And more ideally free and easy access.)

Your standard TV channels have massive reach because almost every house has a TV and is able to watch them. YouTube has massive reach as all you need is an internet connection. A streaming service has limited reach as only those who have already subscribed are able to watch, and that is going to be a tiny tiny number of people in comparison.

And even then, the people who have subscribed to something like DAZN have probably done so because of a specific product. If they signed up because they are Bellator fans, then they might watch some other MMA promotions or maybe some boxing, but they're probably not going to watch the snooker, J-League football, or IPL cricket unless they were already fans. The random no-name wrestling promotion that shows up isn't going to draw many views from the current subscriber base.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Actually Netflix could be a good deal to start with. Their reach is huge (about 55 million USd households) for a new product. A 3 year deal to build a following to start and then branch out to regular tv is probably the way to go.

TV networks might not be willing to go all in on a brand new wrestling program with no reach/ audience but if you build it on Netflix you eventually could.

Of course at the end of the day it’s going to come down to whom is booking and writing the stories and how they draw people in

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
RAW drew the lowest viewership in the shows history, drawing just 2.285M viewers

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
Carmella went from being really annoying to not-so-annoying. Dropping the title and changing her hair color.... at one point, she was almost as hated on this forum as Nia Jax

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
This isn't just raw, but WWE in general. Does anyone ever realize that when we ask WWE for something, they either don't do it or they do it and they just do it wrong.

We wanted a heel Dean, but he's a germaphobe getting vaccines in the ass.

We wanted a heel Lashley and now he's posing like a playboy model.

We (I) wanted the Authors of Pain (their real name) to be tag champs and they won a handicap match with a manager that pisses himself.

Because WWE is stupid as f*** as long as Vince is writing shit.

Actually Netflix could be a good deal to start with. Their reach is huge (about 55 million USd households) for a new product. A 3 year deal to build a following to start and then branch out to regular tv is probably the way to go.

TV networks might not be willing to go all in on a brand new wrestling program with no reach/ audience but if you build it on Netflix you eventually could.

Of course at the end of the day it’s going to come down to whom is booking and writing the stories and how they draw people in

They need to be on traditional TV to work imo unless Netflix throws a huge amount of $$ at it.

Traditional TV would pose the greatest threat to WWE.

RAW drew the lowest viewership in the shows history, drawing just 2.285M viewers

Because WWE is stupid as f*** as long as Vince is writing shit.

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
Carmella went from being really annoying to not-so-annoying. Dropping the title and changing her hair color.... at one point, she was almost as hated on this forum as Nia Jax

She was hated because they kept finding stupid ways for her to hold on to the belt via Ellsworth and making her opponents look like dorks while she had zero credibility and Lana level wrestling ability. Now that she's in a role better suited to her it's fine.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
She still sucks which is why they’re focusing on everything except her in-ring now.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Tfw this company really turned Ambrose heel on the night of Roman’s leukemia reveal and it should have gotten him nuclear heat, but instead he’s resorted to trashing towns and people in the crowd to get heat and gets “one more time” chants when he drops Rollins with Dirty Deeds and mixed reactions.

I still think they completely botched this story as soon as Rollins demanded answers and said “at least when I put the knife in your back I gave you a reason why.” He should have been willing to forgive Dean, not want to fight someone he considers his brother, realized emotions were high that night and try to right his wrongs with Dean constantly killing him until they got to the big pay off where Seth finally fought back. I would have even had the IC Title transfer over to Dean because Seth refused to fight Dean and was willing to show him that the brotherhood is more important to him than the title, cause Ambrose had it in his mind that the spotlight and titles were more important to Seth.

Last edited:
Reactions: BonMorrison

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Why are the writers so infatuated with "YOU PEOPLE" promos? Flair did it. Becky did it when they tried turning her heel. DB did it (but awesomely). Ambrose did it.

It's like anyone who turns heel has to use the phrase "YOU PEOPLE!"

BonMorrison

Jun 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
Agreed - they botched the Ambrose/Rollins rivalry by having Rollins immediately want revenge. The story they told on the actual heel turn night of Rollins being all "it's okay, it's okay" should've been the basis of the entire story. It's not like WWE isn't capable of that story (Taker/Kane '98).

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Agreed - they botched the Ambrose/Rollins rivalry by having Rollins immediately want revenge. The story they told on the actual heel turn night of Rollins being all "it's okay, it's okay" should've been the basis of the entire story. It's not like WWE isn't capable of that story (Taker/Kane '98).
This is immediately the way I thought the feud would go for the first month or two.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002

Dave said the numbers among teenage girls was almost zero, which is probably really bad since the first half hour of the show was all-women and the number actually went up for hour 2.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Bray isn't coming back. I've tuned in the last few weeks which have actually been some of the worst Raws I've ever seen just in the faint hope he shows up. I've given up that hope.

Instead I'll sit at home and hit myself in the dick with a hammer and have a better time than I have the last couple of Mondays.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Raw's in San Diego tonight, but I opted not to take a half-day in order to get down there in time. Last I saw a few days ago, there were plenty of seats available, so don't be surprised if it's a fairly dead crowd tonight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad