Value of: Monahan for futures

treple13

Sep 1, 2013
I would never trade Johnny unless he does want that. But he literally held like a 20 minutes press conference talking about how he loved calgary. He wants to say. He even mentioned people saying he wants to go back and he’s like “no I want to be in Calgary”. This isn’t Adam Fox, Johnny has always wanted to play here. His parents are basically celebrities in Calgary.

you don’t trade Johnny Gaudreau until he says he doesn’t want to play. I’ve always believed that our best chance at winning is by going with Dube/Lindholm/Backlund/Bennett at C. So obviously this is where my opinion respectfully differs from yours

Here's my take. Johnny and Monny seem super tight off the ice. I think you trade one and you basically have to trade the other. Otherwise I expect both will stick around. Having too many C's doesn't hurt though.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I think it it’s a deal that makes sense for both teams. I think Calgary is at the point where they know Lindholm and Monahan can both be good 2Cs but they also aren’t going to win unless they get a 1C to fill out the lineup. It’s more of a shuffling the chairs move to get all the prices in place besides a number one center.

For context, Russo made a lot of comments on his podcast today about Calgary having interest in Dumba. Friedman was on the podcast and said the move makes sense “on paper”. Russo did say that he thinks they could get Monahan for Dumba but that he’s hold out for “something better”. Not sure if he is hearing that Monahan for Dumba is on the table or if he’s just speculating, but the one thing he did asser was that Calgary and Winnipeg seem to be the teams hot for Dumba whereas Vancouver seems to be less interested than originally thought
If Calgary is offering Monahan for Dumba straight up they are stupid. They have so many D and some they could get for free (cap space), why trade their top centre. I just dont see how a deal like that makes sense unless there is a significant other piece added from Minnesota

Legegendsofthenorth

Jun 6, 2018
If Calgary is offering Monahan for Dumba straight up they are stupid. They have so many D and some they could get for free (cap space), why trade their top centre. I just dont see how a deal like that makes sense unless there is a significant other piece added from Minnesota

I dont know Calgary's situation as a Wild fan but MN isn't going to add just because there are other options.

Mazatt

Apr 30, 2019
I dont know Calgary's situation as a Wild fan but MN isn't going to add just because there are other options.
Then Calgary is straight up silly and a deal can't be made. 1C's don't generally get traded for #3/4 offensive d-men coming off of down-seasons/injuries straight up

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Honestly I don’t think Monahan will be dealt. I think it makes the most sense to try and sign AP. If we miss there, Hanifin can be moved for OEL.

You could do Monahan for Dumba, but then you’re likely moving your 1st + Hanifin for a C, the question there is who are you gonna get? I want a Hischier or Dubois caliber center and I don’t think that package is realistic at getting any of those guys. More realistically, we’re getting a Nylander or Domi for Hanifin. I do wonder if Monahan could land Seguin, I would look at that.

So at the end of the day, I think keeping Monahan gives the Flames the best C they have access to this off-season.

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
Absolutely zero chance that Monahan is dealt for anything less than a center upgrade. Our depth would be Backlund, Ryan and Bennett/Dube.....easily the worst in the league.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Absolutely zero chance that Monahan is dealt for anything less than a center upgrade. Our depth would be Backlund, Ryan and Bennett/Dube.....easily the worst in the league.

What GM in their right mind is going to trade their markedly better comparably aged center for Monahan? Even Monahan + Hanifin + 1st? Does any Flames fan seriously believe that package lands them a Barkov, Eichel, MacKinnon, or Pettersson? Even a moderate upgrade like Zibanejad or Aho or Schiefele is very far fetched.

This isn't EA sports. Nobody is doing the Flames a favour. Monahan is a very good young talented player. He is not currently the answer at 1C for Calgary, and probably never will be. He got that job from opportunity, the Flames have more or less handed him the keys since they drafted him. Does Brayden Point become the player he is if Stamkos doesn't vacate the top spot due to injury? Does Aho flourish if Carolina decides to re-up with Eric Staal? Does Zibanejad develop the way he has if the Rangers don't ditch Stepan and Brassard? What about Pettersson if the Sedins don't retire and he's stuck getting 12 minutes a night behind Hank and Horvat? Couturier never really took off until they moved Giroux to wing. Barzal took the Islanders deeper in the playoffs this year as their 1C than they had ever been with Tavares. Even MacKinnon wasn't the superstar he is now with Duchene on the team. So much of what you're going to be in this league is the opportunity you get. Sean has got his and while he has performed well he has never taken the next step. Bennett and Dube both had more goals than him in the playoffs despite getting less ice time with worse linemates.

You can trade him for a high draft pick and/or a bluechip prospect, give some opportunity to somebody else to show something with Gaudreau, and then use that cap space to go after all of Hall, Pietrangelo, and Markstrom. Or you can settle with being almost good enough like we have for the last two decades.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Here's my take. Johnny and Monny seem super tight off the ice. I think you trade one and you basically have to trade the other. Otherwise I expect both will stick around. Having too many C's doesn't hurt though.
Seth Jones, we would need a D back tho.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Do Flames fan not remember having no centers during Iggy's years
No need to remember because nothing's changed. Monahan is essentially a better goal scoring but worse defensive version of Daymond Langkow.

The Flames haven't had a real line driving number one centre since they traded Nieuwendyk away.

Reactions: Mobiandi and Dack

Sparky93

Dec 30, 2010
What GM in their right mind is going to trade their markedly better comparably aged center for Monahan? Even Monahan + Hanifin + 1st? Does any Flames fan seriously believe that package lands them a Barkov, Eichel, MacKinnon, or Pettersson? Even a moderate upgrade like Zibanejad or Aho or Schiefele is very far fetched.

This isn't EA sports. Nobody is doing the Flames a favour. Monahan is a very good young talented player. He is not currently the answer at 1C for Calgary, and probably never will be. He got that job from opportunity, the Flames have more or less handed him the keys since they drafted him. Does Brayden Point become the player he is if Stamkos doesn't vacate the top spot due to injury? Does Aho flourish if Carolina decides to re-up with Eric Staal? Does Zibanejad develop the way he has if the Rangers don't ditch Stepan and Brassard? What about Pettersson if the Sedins don't retire and he's stuck getting 12 minutes a night behind Hank and Horvat? Couturier never really took off until they moved Giroux to wing. Barzal took the Islanders deeper in the playoffs this year as their 1C than they had ever been with Tavares. Even MacKinnon wasn't the superstar he is now with Duchene on the team. So much of what you're going to be in this league is the opportunity you get. Sean has got his and while he has performed well he has never taken the next step. Bennett and Dube both had more goals than him in the playoffs despite getting less ice time with worse linemates.

You can trade him for a high draft pick and/or a bluechip prospect, give some opportunity to somebody else to show something with Gaudreau, and then use that cap space to go after all of Hall, Pietrangelo, and Markstrom. Or you can settle with being almost good enough like we have for the last two decades.
Look at the list of names you just lumped together with Bennett and Dube lol. Dube may be something, someday but he's currently coming off his first taste of the NHL, with a 16 point season, from the wing and getting sheltered minutes. He's in no way, shape or form ready for a role, anywhere close to what you're referring to. While Bennett had a great playoffs, ignoring the fact that he was out performed by Curtis Lazar during the regular season would foolish, at best. Even if, someday, the case arises that a young guy is being held back by a vet, you move a 31 year old Backlund, who's only a million dollars cheaper, long before your 25 year old 1C, who was tied, yet again, as our top playoff performer.

I mean if the Sabres panic and offer something like Cozens and Risto, you have to seriously consider it but I don't see it happening. Short of that, I don't see how Hall, Pedro or Mackstrom improve the team, at all, with that sort of completely dismal and decimated center depth.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yes, a team that has no good centers is going to trade the only decent one they have for magic beans... makes sense
Backlund is our best center by far. As a fan of the lottery boys you probably notice that McDavid fills our net whenever he doesn't play against him.

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
No need to remember because nothing's changed. Monahan is essentially a better goal scoring but worse defensive version of Daymond Langkow.

The Flames haven't had a real line driving number one centre since they traded Nieuwendyk away.

giphy-2.gif

"Best center since Niewendyk"
"Our center depth would be awful"

Our center depth is awful now Monahan doesn't change that, he's a pure goal scorer that's good at faceoffs, he doesn't take on any tough matchups defensively and he never takes over a game. What exactly are we losing by signing Hall and replacing Monahan on the top line with say Dube or even moving Lindholm to center and having a Hall-Lindholm-Gaudreau line? Some goals in exchange for a center who can skate and isn't one dimensional offensively? Good trade IMO. Bennett may also be a top 6 option after a great playoffs.

"Lindholm isn't a center"

Maybe not but how can you say with a straight face that one of the worst transition players in the league is? Especially when so often Lindholm plays low on the defensive zone to cover for Monahan who's slow getting back. Monahan is a glorified winger who's good at faceoffs, that's it.

freester

Mar 22, 2014
Atlanta, Ga
Look at the list of names you just lumped together with Bennett and Dube lol. Dube may be something, someday but he's currently coming off his first taste of the NHL, with a 16 point season, from the wing and getting sheltered minutes. He's in no way, shape or form ready for a role, anywhere close to what you're referring to. While Bennett had a great playoffs, ignoring the fact that he was out performed by Curtis Lazar during the regular season would foolish, at best. Even if, someday, the case arises that a young guy is being held back by a vet, you move a 31 year old Backlund, who's only a million dollars cheaper, long before your 25 year old 1C, who was tied, yet again, as our top playoff performer.

I mean if the Sabres panic and offer something like Cozens and Risto, you have to seriously consider it but I don't see it happening. Short of that, I don't see how Hall, Pedro or Mackstrom improve the team, at all, with that sort of completely dismal and decimated center depth.
Cozens isn't being dealt under any circumstances. would 2 RD appeal to you like Risto and Montour or Miller?

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Monahan is the team's 3rd best centre, maybe 4th. If we can get a good RWer or RD for him, you take that and run

*OvechKiN*

Nov 29, 2005
Monahan is underrated because he isn’t flashy. He isn’t a No1 C on a contending team, but he is easily a 2c on a contending team.

We see it all the time, but guys like Cozens, etc (highly rated C prospects) have a better chance of being a lesser player than Monahan than being better. Not all prospects hit their ceiling, but all fans thing they will understandably.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
No team is trading its top prospect #1 C for Monahan. How about Sabres adding Mittlestadt in addition to the 2 RD?
Word is Montour won't be qualified. Miller isn't worth much and Mittlestadt doesn't make our roster. If you want Monahan it would cost pieces you don't want to move, not spare parts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->