Value of: Monahan for futures

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
With the Flames rumored to be in on several big name FAs this offseason(Hall, Pietrangelo, Markstrom) they might be inclined to clear some cap to go big game hunting. With a lack of quality centers available in FA and in trade what could they get for Sean Monahan?

Their center depth is already not a strong suit so some combination of a unproven ELC C prospect with upside and picks might get them to pull the trigger. This would involve taking a risk on Bennett or Dube being able to step into and perform in a top 6 C role. Far from a sure thing but not out of the realm of possibility.

Monahan is a very consistent goal scoring center who is comfortable on the PP. Good hands, good in tight, good release, great finisher. Mostly just decent to average everywhere else. A little slow and a little soft at times in the defensive end. I think he would excel in a 2nd scoring line role behind an elite C.

Under contract at the very reasonable price of 6.375 per for the next 3 seasons.

Reactions: BobColesNasalCavity

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Haven’t really heard his name in the rumour mill. But I do think the team needs a different look. They have enough talent, just not the right mix. I definitely think Sean is the guy that gets traded, futures is the way to go for sure. Or a RD if Brodie leaves.

The Flames can’t give up on Gaudreau, too much skill, watching these playoffs reminds me how good Johhny is when he’s on his game. There are very few with his ability to dominate this league.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Haven’t really heard his name in the rumour mill. But I do think the team needs a different look. They have enough talent, just not the right mix. I definitely think Sean is the guy that gets traded, futures is the way to go for sure. Or a RD if Brodie leaves.

The Flames can’t give up on Gaudreau, too much skill, watching these playoffs reminds me how good Johhny is when he’s on his game. There are very few with his ability to dominate this league.

The Flames are better off moving Johnny over Monahan. Especially if Johnny is allegedly wanting to be closer to home.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
With the Flames rumored to be in on several big name FAs this offseason(Hall, Pietrangelo, Markstrom) they might be inclined to clear some cap to go big game hunting. With a lack of quality centers available in FA and in trade what could they get for Sean Monahan?

Their center depth is already not a strong suit so some combination of a unproven ELC C prospect with upside and picks might get them to pull the trigger. This would involve taking a risk on Bennett or Dube being able to step into and perform in a top 6 C role. Far from a sure thing but not out of the realm of possibility.

Monahan is a very consistent goal scoring center who is comfortable on the PP. Good hands, good in tight, good release, great finisher. Mostly just decent to average everywhere else. A little slow and a little soft at times in the defensive end. I think he would excel in a 2nd scoring line role behind an elite C.

Under contract at the very reasonable price of 6.375 per for the next 3 seasons.

Last I checked Calgary has to UFA RD so PA would be replacing thrm.

Thrn thry have goalie space.

I don’t see thrm moving Monaghan for futures.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
Awful value
Funny you say that. I proposed the same 4OA+small piece/pick for Serg.+Cirelli+1yr cap dump,$5m....and both the Wings & Bolts Trade boards gave pushback. Though there were some on each side in favor of it as well.

FFWD, it's essentially the same trade, minus the "small piece/pick & 1yr. <$5m cap dump" b/c Serg+Cirelli is the better package vs. Monahan+Hanifin.

So it's not as far off as you think, though I can see why one might see it your way.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
Russo seems to think Calgary has been showing a lot of interest in Dumba and just putting two and two together I can’t see how there’s even a conversation there if it’s not involving Monahan.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
The Flames are better off moving Johnny over Monahan. Especially if Johnny is allegedly wanting to be closer to home.

I would never trade Johnny unless he does want that. But he literally held like a 20 minutes press conference talking about how he loved calgary. He wants to say. He even mentioned people saying he wants to go back and he’s like “no I want to be in Calgary”. This isn’t Adam Fox, Johnny has always wanted to play here. His parents are basically celebrities in Calgary.

you don’t trade Johnny Gaudreau until he says he doesn’t want to play. I’ve always believed that our best chance at winning is by going with Dube/Lindholm/Backlund/Bennett at C. So obviously this is where my opinion respectfully differs from yours

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Russo seems to think Calgary has been showing a lot of interest in Dumba and just putting two and two together I can’t see how there’s even a conversation there if it’s not involving Monahan.

I know Dumba’s agent is in Calgary and he represents about half of the Flames. It seems like a move they might have to make cause our depth is putrid prospect wise on the blueline. We have a bunch of NHL caliber youth on the left side but could really use another long term RD, all we got is Andersson. Like literally no one with an outside shot at the NHL. :laugh:

edit: actually maybe that Kinvall guy we signed from Sweden could be something I guess. Not likely

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
The Flames are keeping Monahan.

If cap space is needed, Ryan is gone and potentially Backlund too. I see the team moving Hanifin and trying an unknown like Valimaki in a top 4 role, before they move Monahan and put Bennett in a top 6 role.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I know Dumba’s agent is in Calgary and he represents about half of the Flames. It seems like a move they might have to make cause our depth is putrid prospect wise on the blueline. We have a bunch of NHL caliber youth on the left side but could really use another long term RD, all we got is Andersson. Like literally no one with an outside shot at the NHL. :laugh:

edit: actually maybe that Kinvall guy we signed from Sweden could be something I guess. Not likely
I think it it’s a deal that makes sense for both teams. I think Calgary is at the point where they know Lindholm and Monahan can both be good 2Cs but they also aren’t going to win unless they get a 1C to fill out the lineup. It’s more of a shuffling the chairs move to get all the prices in place besides a number one center.

For context, Russo made a lot of comments on his podcast today about Calgary having interest in Dumba. Friedman was on the podcast and said the move makes sense “on paper”. Russo did say that he thinks they could get Monahan for Dumba but that he’s hold out for “something better”. Not sure if he is hearing that Monahan for Dumba is on the table or if he’s just speculating, but the one thing he did asser was that Calgary and Winnipeg seem to be the teams hot for Dumba whereas Vancouver seems to be less interested than originally thought

2020 Cup Champions

Formerly Sila v Kucherove
Nov 26, 2013
Funny you say that. I proposed the same 4OA+small piece/pick for Serg.+Cirelli+1yr cap dump,$5m....and both the Wings & Bolts Trade boards gave pushback. Though there were some on each side in favor of it as well.

FFWD, it's essentially the same trade, minus the "small piece/pick & 1yr. <$5m cap dump" b/c Serg+Cirelli is the better package vs. Monahan+Hanifin.

So it's not as far off as you think, though I can see why one might see it your way.
I don't blame the Flames for flaming you.

You were told by fans of several fanbases (myself included) that it was a terrible value trade in the following thread: Speculation: - 4th.OA
@Djp seems to be the only poster from that thread that didn't think the value was way off (besides a Red Wings fan @Dead Thing that seems to have thought you were a Tampa poster proposing it to Detroit fans :biglaugh:). Where are the people in favor of this trade that have any interest in the needs of Tampa (nevermind the horrible value)? Time to show your homework.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I think it it’s a deal that makes sense for both teams. I think Calgary is at the point where they know Lindholm and Monahan can both be good 2Cs but they also aren’t going to win unless they get a 1C to fill out the lineup. It’s more of a shuffling the chairs move to get all the prices in place besides a number one center.

For context, Russo made a lot of comments on his podcast today about Calgary having interest in Dumba. Friedman was on the podcast and said the move makes sense “on paper”. Russo did say that he thinks they could get Monahan for Dumba but that he’s hold out for “something better”. Not sure if he is hearing that Monahan for Dumba is on the table or if he’s just speculating, but the one thing he did asser was that Calgary and Winnipeg seem to be the teams hot for Dumba whereas Vancouver seems to be less interested than originally thought
You want it make sense for the Flames but it doesn't. Not going to get better than Monahan for Dumba.

Ghost of Ethan Hunt

The Official Ghost of Space Ghosts Monkey
Jun 23, 2018
Top Secret Moon Base
I don't blame the Flames for flaming you.

You were told by fans of several fanbases (myself included) that it was a terrible value trade in the following thread: Speculation: - 4th.OA
@Djp seems to be the only poster from that thread that didn't think the value was way off (besides a Red Wings fan @Dead Thing that seems to have thought you were a Tampa poster proposing it to Detroit fans :biglaugh:). Where are the people in favor of this trade that have any interest in the needs of Tampa (nevermind the horrible value)? Time to show your homework.
I'll take your word for it, I'm not here to do "homework":laugh: ...college was 30 yrs ago. Probably more on the Wings board though, if you feel like doing homework.

Maybe the Wings add a late 2nd + take a 1yr. cap dump <$5M with it...that's about right. (& about the max the Wings would care to pay, or even consider paying).

There's lots of unpleasant surprises awaiting the fan bases of many teams within the next 3 yrs, Cap Space is a Finite amount & there's only ~5-7 teams who can/will take on dumps. Even casualties won't see many more teams added to that 5-7#. I say this b/c TBL are my 3rd favorite team, but I know that they''ve managed the cap well the last 6-7+ seasons (thanks to Yzerman), but this time it's a good bit different. Best of luck in the SCF.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad