Injury Report: Monahan and Wideman on IR

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Dunno where you're getting that from. Wideman is a way more crucial part of this team than Monahan is, unless you mean that we need Monahan to develop.

A couple things, this is not true either. I would say Wideman and Monahan are of equal importance to this team. Both statements are false IMO.

And I think we will be even less competitive next year. Our management has shown that they will not overpay for vets, so I think we will see a similar offseason to last one, as in not much activity. Any improvement will be from in house.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
A couple things, this is not true either. I would say Wideman and Monahan are of equal importance to this team. Both statements are false IMO.

And I think we will be even less competitive next year. Our management has shown that they will not overpay for vets, so I think we will see a similar offseason to last one, as in not much activity. Any improvement will be from in house.

Um, apparently someone's forgetting that July 2013 was the summer we finally went out and got Billins. :shakehead

Aug 3, 2010
I'm thinking that depending on the timing, they could almost use the WJCs as a conditioning stint for Monahan.
Believe that they did this for Nugent-Hopkins as well. I for one am interested in seeing that should the circumstance unfold.

MuffinMerc

Come watch TV
Jan 23, 2013
gustavsson-fuuu-o.gif

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
The Flames already have the league's worst GA/G at 3.58. I wonder how much worse it can get with Brodie being leaned on even more to shoulder the most difficult defensive assignments and O'Brien getting more minutes.

For what it's worth, Brodie was already the team's number two defensemen, behind only Giordano in terms of difficulty of competition and zone starts. Russell is fairly sheltered though; both Butler and Smid see tougher minutes, although that's probably not a surprise to anyone.

Guido Sarducci

Aug 7, 2012
canyon meadows
The Flames already have the league's worst GA/G at 3.58. I wonder how much worse it can get with Brodie being leaned on even more to shoulder the most difficult defensive assignments and O'Brien getting more minutes.

For what it's worth, Brodie was already the team's number two defensemen, behind only Giordano in terms of difficulty of competition and zone starts. Russell is fairly sheltered though; both Butler and Smid see tougher minutes, although that's probably not a surprise to anyone.

I predict Wideman being gone will have very little impact. The only time he is above average is on the PP. Russell can be almost as good in that role.

Like Calculon pointed out, the Flames already have the worst GAA, and IMO Wideman is pretty big part of that.

If only the Flames could just hang in there without Dennis Wideman and maintain their .417 winning percentage. Seriously, this CAN'T hurt the Flames.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
Monahan better be playing on Dec 12! ****!!!! Two weeks money :(, pray to Jebus

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
I predict Wideman being gone will have very little impact. The only time he is above average is on the PP. Russell can be almost as good in that role.

Like Calculon pointed out, the Flames already have the worst GAA, and IMO Wideman is pretty big part of that.

If only the Flames could just hang in there without Dennis Wideman and maintain their .417 winning percentage. Seriously, this CAN'T hurt the Flames.

I think the main impact is that the Flames are down a guy who is a serviceable 2nd pairing player at even strength. He's not a defensive stalwart, but he's still better than Butler normally is, and probably better defensively than Smid as well (at least from what I've seen so far). But I agree that his main impact is on the PP, where we might miss him more than we think we will.

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg 9h
Monahan was hurt on November 21 when he blocked a shot at practice. #Flames

Pat Steinberg ‏@Fan960Steinberg 23m
@Calgarymitch Well, it was an accident. Wideman shot the puck into his foot. Not much he could have done. #Flames

So, Widemen takes out Monahan and then gets himself injured for the next two months.

Clearly, Wideman supports the tank.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad