News Article: Molson's view of his tenure so far

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
What I never understood is this... Of course, hockey is business first and foremost and I think 99.9% of people get it and agree with it. So naturally the primary focus for the owner is to make $$$. But... but... wouldn't building a winning team AS WELL AS make money make even more money? Imagine the ticket prices, the condos, the memorabilia crap, the jerseys, the caps, the key chains whatever other consumable garbage you can think of. Niemi's jersey would be selling for over $350 if Habs were a true contender. So why are Habs NOT focusing on winning along with raking in the cash?

The expectation level would also rise from the fan base and the criticism and the accountability level would be greater for those employed by the team. They have lowered expectations to the point where a portion of their fans dare I say the majority are willing to accept missing the playoffs for 3 out of 4 years and the money still keeps rolling in! There is no challenge and the team is making well over 100 million dollars in annual profit and yes they could make more with a winning team but like I said the expectations and pressure would also rise along with it. This is what the Montreal Canadiens have become and it has happened right in front of our eyes. This is my theory and many here will shoot it down because the last 7 years have only been bad puck luck, free agents wives don't like us and "Bergy" is trying his best.:sarcasm:

The Real Timo

Jun 18, 2019
The expectation level would also rise from the fan base and the criticism and the accountability level would be greater for those employed by the team. They have lowered expectations to the point where a portion of their fans dare I say the majority are willing to accept missing the playoffs for 3 out of 4 years and the money still keeps rolling in! There is no challenge and the team is making well over 100 million dollars in annual profit and yes they could make more with a winning team but like I said the expectations and pressure would also rise along with it. This is what the Montreal Canadiens have become and it has happened right in front of our eyes. This is my theory and many here will shoot it down because the last 7 years have only been bad puck luck, free agents wives don't like us and "Bergy" is trying his best.:sarcasm:

Indeed

upload_2019-6-18_13-4-59.png

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
We are still far away from erasing 5+ years of trending in the wrong direction.

It's so weird to see people assume everything is fixed because of one good season. I'm not even totally convinced Bergevin knew what he was doing when he went out and got Domi, which was the catalyst for this good season. If he knew Domi was going to step in and be the center we were missing, you'd think he would have signed him to a better contract. He gave Drouin a long term deal before he proved anything because he was SO SURE Drouin would work out like he intended.
I went back and forth with a somewhat legit poster about that very sentence about 4 months ago and was told that it was the genius of Bergevin.:laugh: Alzner and Drouin were merely flukes.:laugh:

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I went back and forth with a somewhat legit poster about that very sentence about 4 months ago and was told that it was the genius of Bergevin.:laugh: Alzner and Drouin were merely flukes.:laugh:
Bergevin just throws a bunch of crap at the wall and some of it sticks, most of it streaks down to the ground. That has always been his plan/strategy. He has no idea what he’s doing, never has. His “fans” get so excited when he does something good, call him a genius instead of lucky. Every other GM makes good moves, and most make way more of them, because they are way better than Bergevin at their job and actually have a REAL plan.

Jul 6, 2016
We are still far away from erasing 5+ years of trending in the wrong direction.

It's so weird to see people assume everything is fixed because of one good season. I'm not even totally convinced Bergevin knew what he was doing when he went out and got Domi, which was the catalyst for this good season. If he knew Domi was going to step in and be the center we were missing, you'd think he would have signed him to a better contract. He gave Drouin a long term deal before he proved anything because he was SO SURE Drouin would work out like he intended.

Drouin was placed at center when he arrived... somewhere he doesn't belong. Like Galchy.

Everything is not fixed. But they are on the right path. First: to make the Playoffs next Spring.

The problem is not the Habs. It's fans (?) like you who are wearing thick dark glasses, and loves it.

Last edited:

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
Drouin was placed at center when he arrived... somewhere he doesn't belong. Like Galchy.

Everything is not fixed. But they are on the right path. First: to make the Playoffs next Spring.

The problem is not the Habs. It's fans (?) like you who are wearing thick dark glasses, and loves it.
So the reason the team has been bad since Bergevin got here is because of the fans? It’s our fault, got it.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Maybe Molson & MB are smarter than they seem...

To have been so mediocre (which is probably too kind an assessment) and yet still have some "fans" believing the ever changing narratives they roll out each year, is pretty impressive.

Not sure how many markets with sustained fan support could run 8 years this poorly and yet still have fans worshipping the leadership and believing "things are on the right path" lol

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
Maybe Molson & MB are smarter than they seem...

To have been so mediocre (which is probably too kind an assessment) and yet still have some "fans" believing the ever changing narratives they roll out each year, is pretty impressive.

Not sure how many markets with sustained fan support could run 8 years this poorly and yet still have fans worshipping the leadership and believing "things are on the right path" lol

Politics, organised religion and network TV all operate on the same, seemingly contradictory, fundamentals.

The laws of physics don't operate in those environments.

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
I think Molson cares about winning because it would be better for the value of his brand and lead to increased profits. I think this interview is being taken out of context a little bit - as far as I can tell, this wasn't really a hockey interview as much as a business one, which used his hockey team as a topic. OTOH, the reason why people get the impression that Molson doesn't care isn't because he actually doesn't - and Bergevin certainly cares as well - the reason fans get that impression is because Molson and Bergevin have shown themselves to be incompetent airheads who attempt damage control without the actual oratory skills to pull it off. They just end up looking like losers looking for excuses, which they kind of are. It doesn't mean they don't care about winning though. That's silly.

Guns n Roses

Feb 26, 2019
I think Molson cares about winning because it would be better for the value of his brand and lead to increased profits. I think this interview is being taken out of context a little bit - as far as I can tell, this wasn't really a hockey interview as much as a business one, which used his hockey team as a topic. OTOH, the reason why people get the impression that Molson doesn't care isn't because he actually doesn't - and Bergevin certainly cares as well - the reason fans get that impression is because Molson and Bergevin have shown themselves to be incompetent airheads who attempt damage control without the actual oratory skills to pull it off. They just end up looking like losers looking for excuses, which they kind of are. It doesn't mean they don't care about winning though. That's silly.
Of course they would rather win. Everyone would choose success over failure. But the money just keeps rolling on in regardless. Profits are the main priority. Haven’t you heard about the improved hotdog experience last season?

16A923B4-6FD8-40AE-9450-2FBFC4F50AF2.jpeg

King: Molson
Nobles: Bergy and crew
Knights: Lords of the Sainte Flanelle
Peasants: Have another hotdog, another beer and be happy with what ever show we put on for you. No matter how mediocre. And make sure to blame yourself for the whole thing. It’s your fault, you didn’t spend enough.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

You're not wrong. But these guys are like wannabe fitness buffs who eat fatty bacon at every meal, have bloody mary's in the morning, never break a sweat and wonder why they're not steely eyed missile men.

The say they want something, but do virtually nothing to obtain it.

Stripper

Mar 4, 2013
My question is... what would you have done differently than Bergevin? Personally, the only thing I really dislike is letting Radulov go. Him besides Domi would have been A-MA-ZINGGGG.

But other than Radulov, what would you guys have done differently? Sell the farm (when we thought it was decent) for players that are ready to play now? Who?

Bergevins job is really hard. Needs to see short and long term at the same time.

PS: Signing Price for 10.5 also rubs me the wrong way.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad