News Article: Molson's view of his tenure so far

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
The salary cap also helped. Before it, the Habs, and the league in general, sucked. Plus, the value of sports teams in general have been skyrocketing.

It still seemed like a lot of money at the time. Plus, Gillett, imo, thought he was getting out at its financial peak.

I think Gillette had no choice but to sell the habs. He owned liverpool fc at the time, and I think he had to pay some creditors pronto.

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
k7ugc.jpg

I wish i could LIKE that post

Kriss E

May 3, 2007
Jeddah
He should be proud from a business stand point. He out a lot of money on the line and has made a ton of money.
Should he? “Takes money to make money” can not be used for any better example than this case.
What did he do to really better the brand that was innovative..creative..or in need of a strong business acumen?
It took him what...9 years to realize he needs to improve fan experience at the bell center?
I've been saying for years how the entertainment is garbage at the Bell...play the same games for decades..same crap food...if it weren't for this being the Habs, it would have gone bankrupt by now. Their social media game also sucks bigly.

Hes just a billionaire who bought a money making franchise. Be proud...nah...happy to be lucky is more like it.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Interesting interview with Molson (in French):

Dix ans plus tard, Geoff Molson salue sa décision | Marc Delbès | Hockey

Short story:

-Guy is extremely proud of himself and his decision of buying and managing the team
-Most of the article is about the entertainment aspect of the CH brand
-One relatively short mention at the end about winning an actual Stanley Cup

So... the article confirms some of the things we've been discussing on this board for years. The guy is really focused on maintaining and milking the brand. Putting a winning team on the ice is secondary.
"When he looks in the mirror" :sarcasm:

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Unfortunately you are correct. I waited to see on this. Ultimately though, he really doesn't care about winning and it's clear from the recent articles he's given out. He's about profits and doesn't really care about the cup.
lot of fluff ,no substance pretty much sums up his ownership so far,and lets not forget stupid stubborn.Breaking news!! molson has season ending shoulder surgery for patting himself so hard .:deadhorse

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Fans are rabid and long for a return to past greatness, too bad the owner and GM don’t share these values. This franchise is no longer committed to excellence and winning.
I have said it before...Molson and Bergevin have managed to remove most of my passion as a Habs fan, something that I never thought could happen.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Should he? “Takes money to make money” can not be used for any better example than this case.
What did he do to really better the brand that was innovative..creative..or in need of a strong business acumen?
It took him what...9 years to realize he needs to improve fan experience at the bell center?
I've been saying for years how the entertainment is garbage at the Bell...play the same games for decades..same crap food...if it weren't for this being the Habs, it would have gone bankrupt by now. Their social media game also sucks bigly.

Hes just a billionaire who bought a money making franchise. Be proud...nah...happy to be lucky is more like it.

Take money to make money is the way most people make money

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
I think Gillette had no choice but to sell the habs. He owned liverpool fc at the time, and I think he had to pay some creditors pronto.

I think Gillette saw the Habs as a money making machine the whole time. He saw it as an undervalued asset, bought low, and sold at what he thought was high.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
From most owners's POV, it costs as much to build a good team as it does a bad team. I doubt Molson is preventing Bergevin from making moves and hiring personnel. Bergevin negotiates the contracts, Molson signs the cheques. For better and worse, our roster reflects the GM, not the owner. Very, very few owners are actively involved in the actual hockey moves. Nothing suggests Molson is; in fact, he's clearly said he's not qualified and leaves the hockey side to his GM. So I don't see how Molson has personally hurt the Habs' roster anymore than he's helped. Unless you guys are waiting for him to spout meaningless cliches like, "We're 100% committed to winning!!", and, "We'll spare no expense!!", his (and most owners') impact on the on-ice product has been almost entirely passive.

My only issue with Molson is his not appointing a qualified President. I wouldn't define that as not caring about winning; it looks more like hubris. Nevertheless, it's the one decision he's made that you can say compromised the team.

Number 57

Dec 21, 2004
Montreal
As a fan the only thing we should want the owner to do is to be willing to spend to the cap, which Molson certainly is willing to do year in, year out. Sure, Bergevin hasn't used this to his advantage recently, and you can put some of the blame on Molson, Bergevin or Timmins if you want. But in the end, Molson is here to make money first and foremost, and he has. So he is a successful business owner.

We should be thankful Molson is willing to spend money and doesn't mingle (too much) in the hockey operations, like a certain Ottawa owner.

Not sure what people are complaining about in this thread. Making the playoffs is on Bergevin/Timmins/Julien/the players. Not Molson. Molson is willing to spend, and that's about all we can ask from him.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Fans are rabid and long for a return to past greatness, too bad the owner and GM don’t share these values. This franchise is no longer committed to excellence and winning.
I have said it before...Molson and Bergevin have managed to remove most of my passion as a Habs fan, something that I never thought could happen.

Fans are not rabid, in any case a lot of long time fans I know are just indifferent. It doesn’t matter anymore

Reactions: Tyson

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
For better and worse, our roster reflects the GM, not the owner.

Completely disagree...

The GM is hired by the owner. The buck starts and stops there.

MB is responsible for the roster, and inept in the GM role, sure. But his boss is the one responsible for putting him in that position and leaving him there going on 8 yrs.

You can't really fault MB in this. I have no doubt that he is doing his best, and also no doubt that he'd love to build a winner. You don't have the life in sport that he's had without being ultra competitive and motivated. He just lacks the skill and competencies to succeed in that role...
And that is 100% on Molsons shoulders.

hvac412

Apr 15, 2013
Spoiled clueless egomaniac comes to mind when thinking of Molson.
They practically ran this organization into the ground before Gillette owned it, I don't know what made me think it would be different the second time around.if they stand pat this summer or just add some plugs I won't bother subscribing to NHL center ice .if they make the playoffs I'll watch it for free.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->