News Article: Molson's interview about Weber's injury, Rebuild, Future and more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The worst thing this franchise can do is make the postseason next year. A) They'd get obliterated in round 1. B) Everyone stays C) No high picks. That's the "issue" with having Price locked up long term ( Besides price tag). He will likely be just good enough to make them the 12th or 13th best team in the league.
Actually, the worst thing would be to come in 9th... :laugh:

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
And what's the common denominator in all those Edmonton deals (and the deals they could have but didn't make)?

Money.

The Oilers don't have tons of money to spend. It goes beyond how they would fit both McDavid and Subban under the cap; it's about how they'd be able to pay both of them relative to their internal cap. They probably also know that Eberle is better than Strome but they need to economize because they foolishly lavished big money on Lucic which they can't easily absorb. If Chiapet makes a mistake like Lucic, Oilers fans have to pay for it by watching another good player get traded for a lesser, cheaper player. The Oilers are a "dollar in, dollar out" type of franchise. You can only jack up ticket prices so much in a blue collar town like Edmonton.

Edmonton doesn't have an internal cap and haven't for a long time. They have on of the highest payrolls in the league ATM and will likely be just under the cap. The problem isn't money, its dumb management.

Reactions: Peanut

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I doubt it. For one, if we're using the "if luxury boxes and season tickets leave one, they probably end up going to the other" thought, where precisely will sports fans in Montreal flee to? The Molson family owns the Bell Centre and Evenko, they get a cut of most entertainment options in Montreal.

They just might not be purchased, at least this might be Molson's fear, whereas this just isn't as relevant for MLSE because their owners own other options. I feel like I should state that we basically agree on what Molson should be doing. I'm just stating why I think Molson is acting the way he's acting. I'm saying he might just be poor. The only other conclusion is that he's just stupid. I personally don't think that he actually thinks Bergevin is doing a good job. IMO, we have to look for another explanation.

I'm also pretty skeptical that they're over-invested in the Habs. The ROI has been pretty impressive and the club has been making healthy profits for a while now.

What are you counting in their ROI? They haven't sold and they've sunk 100 million into the bell center.

Also, the Habs have always spent a lot under Molson. They could cut some of their frankly excessive costs in some areas if they're so concerned about a revenue hit. The revenue hit is coming one way or another, rebuild or not.

They haven't last year and this year.

There's a lot of hindsight used at looking at the Leafs. Do some digging and look at all the different variations of articles on why the Leafs can't rebuild. Being answerable to publicly traded corporations presents a lot of challenges itself. The narrative for years in Toronto is that they needed family ownership that would ok a rebuild.

It does, but obviously these challenges were overcome. I don't think it's out of the question that the points I'm raising were mentioned.

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
So dumb. And it's classic that Hall goes on to win the Hart. Imagine if he'd stayed in Edmonton...
I'd say to Oilers fans the same thing I tell the Subbanites: if he had stayed he wouldn't have been as successful. Hall wasn't going to win the Hart while sucking hind teat to McDavid and Draisaitl. He looked lost in his last season in Edmonton. And Subban wouldn't win any more Norris Trophies playing with the likes of Benn, Schlemko or Alzner while Price soils the sheets on a nightly basis behind him. His last season as a Hab was similarly forgettable.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Well at least the 2019 draft should be another great draft where we have lots of picks.
Plekanec and Byron for at least a 2nd each, and even at minimum, Pacioretty for a 1st. There are also guys like Benn where you can get a 3rd or 4th.

2 1sts
3 2nds

5 picks in the first 2 rounds again

Reactions: Redux91

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
They just might not be purchased, at least this might be Molson's fear, whereas this just isn't as relevant for MLSE because their owners own other options. I feel like I should state that we basically agree on what Molson should be doing. I'm just stating why I think Molson is acting the way he's acting. I'm saying he might just be poor. The only other conclusion is that he's just stupid. I personally don't think that he actually thinks Bergevin is doing a good job. IMO, we have to look for another explanation.

The simplest explanation is usually the best. And even if he doesn't think Bergevin is doing a good job, its more likely that he doesn't want to have to hire a new front office as opposed to being scared of a rebuild.

What are you counting in their ROI? They haven't sold and they've sunk 100 million into the bell center.

ROI was the wrong term, my fault. I meant more that vaulation of the franchise (and teams as a whole) have gone up. That, and the Franchise has made money for his entire ownership period.

They haven't last year and this year.

Roster-wise? No. But they're spending a lot in the FO and coaching.

It does, but obviously these challenges were overcome. I don't think it's out of the question that the points I'm raising were mentioned.

My point there is that its easy to find reasons not to rebuild no matter the situation. That doesn't mean not rebuilding is the right decision or that it wont happen in the future.

Reactions: lo striver

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I'd say to Oilers fans the same thing I tell the Subbanites: if he had stayed he wouldn't have been as successful. Hall wasn't going to win the Hart while sucking hind teat to McDavid and Draisaitl. He looked lost in his last season in Edmonton. And Subban wouldn't win any more Norris Trophies playing with the likes of Benn, Schlemko or Alzner while Price soils the sheets on a nightly basis behind him. His last season as a Hab was similarly forgettable.
Subban would've been just fine if we weren't run by a bunch of morons. Same with Hall.

Reactions: Koivu11 and Peanut

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Edmonton doesn't have an internal cap and haven't for a long time. They have on of the highest payrolls in the league ATM and will likely be just under the cap. The problem isn't money, its dumb management.
Just because they're spending a lot doesn't mean they have a lot to spend. They could very well be crapping bricks at the thought of where all the money they need is going to come from and since they are located in a boom or bust town they should worry about stuff like this. Fluctuations in the economy, the value of the Canadian dollar relative to the US, a rise in the NHL salary cap, taxes...all of these factors impact teams out west more than the Toronto's or Montreal's. They need to plan for contingencies that the Habs and Leafs never need to stress over.

Captain Mountain

Jun 6, 2010
Just because they're spending a lot doesn't mean they have a lot to spend. They could very well be crapping bricks at the thought of where all the money they need is going to come from and since they are located in a boom or bust town they should worry about stuff like this. Fluctuations in the economy, the value of the Canadian dollar relative to the US, a rise in the NHL salary cap, taxes...all of these factors impact teams out west more than the Toronto's or Montreal's. They need to plan for contingencies that the Habs and Leafs never need to stress over.

Katz is one of the richest Canadians and he's had Edmonton spending like crazy for over a decade. The 2004 lockout significantly reduced the boom-bust threat and flattened salary competition. They didn't do it for money reasons.

Reactions: Peanut

HabsWhiteKnightLOL

Apr 29, 2017
Somewhere on earth in a hospital
Molson is incompetent. If he tells us thar we have enough parts to compete he is either lying to us, or is totally clueless. We will be out of the playoffs BEFORE Weber gets back. This next season is a right off.

This is exactly why Molson should not be president of hockey operations and put someone else there

Molson is a moron like Bergevin

both of them have 0 clue how hockey works in 2018

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Great post. It's easy for us as fans to say what we want but we don't know the real circumstances. However, I think it takes guts in the business world to make a move that will pay dividence later both in extra profit and a team that is heading in the right direction. Not sure Molson is ready to make this kind of move and who knows why/why not.

Did Molson buy the team back to win a cup or run a yearly profit? I think he is willing to take on salary and a rebuild but I also think he is very concerned with loss of revenue and a season where he loses money. Yeah we had plenty of cap space last year but we also didn't get any playoff revenue or a full sell out season either. Now add that he just forked out almost $15M a few days ago in bonuses and bought out Mason's contract.

Anybody know what kind of profit the Habs had last year?

Remember its not only Molson he has partners too that he has to answer to. I don't think his partners would be willing to stomach present day losses for future gains. I also don't think Molson is going to have an easy time selling his partners on 2 years of no playoff revenu and 3 out of 4. MB's head is sitting in the guillotine right now.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Just read this and wondering how this works.... George Gillett signed a 20 year naming rights deal (about $3M annually) with Bell. But I read that Molson is not cashing in on this deal or collecting any money even though the contract ends in 2023. Found this on Forbes.com. Who is getting this money? Is it still Gillett? If not, where the hell is it going?

"Scotiabank agreed to pay $640 over 20 years this summer for the naming rights to the Air Canada Centre, home of the Maple Leafs and Raptors. The historic price tag could be a boon to the Canadiens in a few years. Recall that in 2002, George Gillett Jr., the new owner of the Canadiens, sold the naming rights to the team's arena to Bell Canada for an average of about $3 million a year over twenty years. Gillett and the Canadiens were deep in debt and he subsequently used the revenue from the naming rights deal to get cash from JPMorgan Chase to pay down debt. The Canadiens, purchased by the Molson family in 2009, have not been collecting on the arena’s naming fee. But the Canadiens are a hot property and the arena is among the busiest in North America, so look for the Molson family to cash in big in 2023 when the current deal with Bell Canada expires"

It sounds like Uncle George already spent the money if I am reading it correctly ????

Maybe Molson is waiting till 2023 before spending anymore cash. I think he is going to get more than 3 Million a year.

Reactions: ToLegitToQuit

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Excellent point. When you get a crack at a superstar you go for it. The fact that they actually traded away Hall for a 2nd or 3rd pairing blueliner is just shocking to me. That deal was even worse than the Subban trade.

Funny thing is after the 1st year of the trade the opposite was being said. EDM was in the playoffs, hall was 53 point guy.

Then next year Hall explodes to 90 points, NJD make the playoffs and EDM is the bottom of the league again.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I just re-read the interview, damn that is one delusional man

He "believes" and "thinks" a lot of things that are simply out to lunch for anyone with half a brain about hockey

Favourite line "we're trying our best"

You'd have a better team if you left it alone the last 6 years

That's with no drafts, no trades, no UFA signings for 1/2 dozen years you would put a better team on the ice next season and you still believe in the team and the GM, that's bordering on insanity

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
5FmpI7d_d.jpg
This pic says it all. lol

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Seriously, this looks more like Molson is Bergevin's parrot then the other way around. "People are going to be all in this year," sounds exactly like blame is being redirected, as is the norm in the Bergevin era.
Could not agree more.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Just to play devil's advocate here, but humans in general don't grow without getting through things. Same can be said about a hockey team or player. These guys will be a year older and have experienced losing. Got to think some will take a step forward as players this year.

Couple of players I expect will have better seasons: Lehkonen, Danault (Healthy), Price, and especially Drouin.

Having said all of that however, I just don't see that roster as a playoff team. And I do agree the team needs another high draft pick center.
After 017 first round exit could you not have said the same thing? They "were a year older and just experienced losing".............then went on to stink the league out for 82 games. . :laugh:

Birthdays and losing do not automatically equal improvement. Although Molson would probably disagree with me if he thought it would sell another ticket and hot dog.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
What the bloody hell do you mean Molson when you say we want to but the best team on the ice as possible....without mortgaging the future....every bloody team in hockey history who is trying to win mortgages the bloody future.....Pens mortgaged the future to get Kessel....Kings mortgaged the future to get Richards,Carter also a 1st for Sekera....Yzerman mortgaged the future for McDonagh...and also a 1st for Coburn....Hawks mortgaged the future traded a 1st for Vermette...Jets 1st for Stastny...Wild 1st for Hanzal.....Capitals 1st for shattenkirk...Rangers 1st for Yandle...Blues two 1sts for Schenn...1st and prospects for ROR.....it is called going for it and trying to win u bloody buffoon......this is the most inept bloody franchise in sports bloody history.
When dummies dont know what they are talking about....they often refer to cliches.

Molson, Bergevin, Therrien in a nut shell.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
Molson is incompetent. If he tells us thar we have enough parts to compete he is either lying to us, or is totally clueless. We will be out of the playoffs BEFORE Weber gets back. This next season is a right off.

I recall there was a stretch last year where the record was better without Weber in the lineup but regardless I think we'll be out of a playoff spot before Christmas Weber or no Weber. But you're write, next season will be a right off. :thumbu:

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Belial

Oct 22, 2014
Montreal
Funny thing is after the 1st year of the trade the opposite was being said. EDM was in the playoffs, hall was 53 point guy.

Then next year Hall explodes to 90 points, NJD make the playoffs and EDM is the bottom of the league again.

Sounds like the Drouin trade.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad