Best Serbian Footballer (2009) / Serie A Winner
Jul 1, 2008
Stalnye Lisy wants to go back to playing Kazakh teams

3 goals in their last 3 games, 2 losses

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Omskie Yastreby won today against Altay 11-1.
Happens to the best of them. Altay got points in 2 straight games just a week ago, including a regualtion win over Belye Medvedi, and Belye Medvedi are 5th in the league. I'm sure good kazakh kids will look better in a rematch today.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Happens to the best of them. Altay got points in 2 straight games just a week ago, including a regualtion win over Belye Medvedi, and Belye Medvedi are 5th in the league. I'm sure good kazakh kids will look better in a rematch today.

I watched the game and I can assure that the outcome of it defied every law of physics. :laugh: And right now they are losing 2:8 after two periods to Omsk again.

I also question the judgement of the coach who keeps not playing Shutov, he easily is the best goalie they have, yet they keep starting those other bums. Ustinovich is the worst goalie I have ever seen that keeps overreacting hilariously to the bad goals he keeps letting in. Every single one almost physically somehow hurts him. :laugh:

kp61c

Apr 3, 2012
separate civilization
I watched the game and I can assure that the outcome of it defied every law of physics. :laugh: And right now they are losing 2:8 after two periods to Omsk again.

I also question the judgement of the coach who keeps not playing Shutov, he easily is the best goalie they have, yet they keep starting those other bums. Ustinovich is the worst goalie I have ever seen that keeps overreacting hilariously to the bad goals he keeps letting in. Every single one almost physically somehow hurts him. :laugh:
i approve of it, what a little warrior.that's the way to go.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow

I have that game "watch later"-d on YouTube.

Well, 3:11 is 3 times btter than 1:11. Altay also won the 1st period, if they just didn't lose the 2nd 0:7, everything could be very different. Gotta respect the coach's spirit, pulling a golaie with a minute to go, giving his boys a chance to erase that 7 goal deficit.

What a dirty game. Why was Dzhangazinov given an extrordinary dirty major? He wasn't the guy who KOd poor Koskin He was. ******. The man who fought him, Sergei Orlov, looks like a true Omsk gopnik son:

23507.jpg

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
I crap a lot on Altay, but how horrific is Riga start so far? They don't even average one goal a game. I have no real explanation, as this group of players looks like every other down the years - nothing special, but competative.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Yeah it's like Latvia's hockey is rotten from top to bottom this year: Dinamo is basement dweller, Riga can't buy a goal, NT missed the Olympics. Pretty sad.

And even in general, future is pretty bleak. Bukarts is a bust, Egle is a bust, Kuzmenkovs is playing for Liepaja, Kulda is more or less a bust compared to what was expected when he was drafted, Lipsbergs could barely hang onto the job in the ECHL, Blugers is a huge question mark, Golovkovs seems to be stuck at the level he was in 2014, Jaks got into one the worst colleges in NCAA, even Girgensons seems like a career mediocre 3rd liner.

Dinamo can't afford players like Kenins, Bukarts or Dzerins.

What are the bright spots of the Latvian hockey? Rubins and Abols, while they are both still in junior?

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Yeah it's like Latvia's hockey is rotten from top to bottom this year: Dinamo is basement dweller, Riga can't buy a goal, NT missed the Olympics. Pretty sad.

And even in general, future is pretty bleak. Bukarts is a bust, Egle is a bust, Kuzmenkovs is playing for Liepaja, Kulda is more or less a bust compared to what was expected when he was drafted, Lipsbergs could barely hang onto the job in the ECHL, Blugers is a huge question mark, Golovkovs seems to be stuck at the level he was in 2014, Jaks got into one the worst colleges in NCAA, even Girgensons seems like a career mediocre 3rd liner.

What are the bright spots of the Latvian hockey? Rubins and Abols, while they are both still in junior?

It's pretty sad actually for a nation that loves hockey. Having an MHL team (u21 ) is not enough, most of the development has taken place already at that age, good competition at u16s u17s should be the focus, getting those teams into the Russian leagues if possible. Of course strong competition from a much earlier age would be ideal but this would be a start.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010

I'll disagree about Olympic qualification, as our team played well and didn't lose to no pushovers, but everything else is painfully true.

It's pretty sad actually for a nation that loves hockey. Having an MHL team (u21 ) is not enough, most of the development has taken place already at that age, good competition at u16s u17s should be the focus, getting those teams into the Russian leagues if possible. Of course strong competition from a much earlier age would be ideal but this would be a start.

All these MHLers have gone through Russian juniors since the age of 13-14. Riga team is entering St.Petersburg's leagues for many many years, and this year proves that decent competition by itself doesn't work wonders.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I'll disagree about Olympic qualification, as our team played well and didn't lose to no pushovers, but everything else is painfully true.

All these MHLers have gone through Russian juniors since the age of 13-14. Riga team is entering St.Petersburg's leagues for many many years, and this year proves that decent competition by itself doesn't work wonders.

So what is the solution?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
don't forget it's a small nation,, they just need to stick with it,, play in Russian leagues, and wait for better crop to rise.

Loosing two teams in MHL - B does NOT help either

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
don't forget it's a small nation,, they just need to stick with it,, play in Russian leagues, and wait for better crop to rise.

Loosing two teams in MHL - B does NOT help either

Well Ozo said they have been in Russian leagues for awhile, and Denmark have even less registered players but are producing more talent.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Another proof of MHL's greatness is that all Russian EHT players (the youngest Team Russia ever) are MHL alumni.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Not even sure if serious o_0 Basically every player Russia has produced (with very few exceptions like Provorov) is MHL alumni. It's like saying the proof of Russia's greatness is that all the players on NT are Russian.

Acallabeth

Heart ablaze
Jul 30, 2011
Moscow
Not even sure if serious o_0 Basically every player Russia has produced (with very few exceptions like Provorov) is MHL alumni. It's like saying the proof of Russia's greatness is that all the players on NT are Russian.
Would be great if all winter olympiv champions were Russian in 2014!

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Well MHL has to account for something. There were 10 players drafted directly out of the MHL last season, only 5 Russian guys drafted out of the CHL (all of whom payed in the MHL prior to that) even though Russian players in the CHL are at very high levels.

Russia did well in the draft overall, USA had about 55 guys drafted and Sweden had 25 vs Russia's 17. Other than those nations, Russia had more guys taken than any of the other European nations.

So MHL can be said to be "the main contributor" to Russians being drafted into the NHL. I wonder if agents showed this data to 17 year olds crossing the ocean this past summer?

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Well MHL has to account for something. There were 10 players drafted directly out of the MHL last season, only 5 Russian guys drafted out of the CHL (all of whom payed in the MHL prior to that) even though Russian players in the CHL are at very high levels.

Russia did well in the draft overall, USA had about 55 guys drafted and Sweden had 25 vs Russia's 17. Other than those nations, Russia had more guys taken than any of the other European nations.

So MHL can be said to be "the main contributor" to Russians being drafted into the NHL. I wonder if agents showed this data to 17 year olds crossing the ocean this past summer?

I am sure they did not :shakehead

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada

Some great goals by some of the big guns. Boltanov, Kuzmenko and Kravstov with some really nice goals. Very interesting time of the year to be watching the MHL with all of the KHL guys.

hansomreiste

Sep 23, 2015
Ankara
Will Manukyan play for Avangard or Ermak next season? Because he's almost 19 and he has scored over 100pts in MHL in a single season. It's not like I know the dude very well, so maybe it would be smarter to give him another year to grow up in MHL but honestly I'd love to see such a guy level up as early as possible.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Will Manukyan play for Avangard or Ermak next season? Because he's almost 19 and he has scored over 100pts in MHL in a single season. It's not like I know the dude very well, so maybe it would be smarter to give him another year to grow up in MHL but honestly I'd love to see such a guy level up as early as possible.

There is an interview with him on the MHL website, he stated that he thought coach must have had something against him because he believed he could have been called up, something along those lines.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Final 2 series of MHL has been high level and exciting. As expected Kuzmenko and Vovchenko are putting on a show. Kuzmenko with another highlight real goal yesterday. Kid has elite level puck skills, expecting him to break out in the KHL next year.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Final 2 series of MHL has been high level and exciting. As expected Kuzmenko and Vovchenko are putting on a show. Kuzmenko with another highlight real goal yesterday. Kid has elite level puck skills, expecting him to break out in the KHL next year.

he was a full-time khl player this year, so was vovchenko (and many others), why do players like that get to play in juniors again is beyond me. The goal of junior leagues is first and foremost - player development.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->