MHL General Discussion - Part III

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Does anyone know why ustinka doesn't have a mhl team instead of torpedo-2 who play in the Kazakh league. Torpedo-2 is basically a mhl team, it's mostly 18,19,20 year olds and they aren't competitive at all in the Kazakh league. The mhl seems like a better fit for them.

There is one reason and one reason only - money.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Shocked that Almaz got knocked out by a blowout in the deciding game none the less. I've got SKA, of course to win it. At least this way many guys will be returning for the World junior club championship.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
Today's games:

Russia (U16) - Finland (U16) 6-0
Russia (U17) - Finland (U17) 5-0

What do you make of these results? Has the MHL elevated the level of Russian junior hockey?

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
Today's games:

Russia (U16) - Finland (U16) 6-0
Russia (U17) - Finland (U17) 5-0

What do you make of these results? Has the MHL elevated the level of Russian junior hockey?

Simply.... that as the old Soviet Block disintegrates they are struggling with.... Adaptation.... They'll return to their supreme strength. I have no doubt of that.... way too much depth & talent for it to forever be lost.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
None of those U16 players has seen a second of icetime in MHL, so no?

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
None of those U16 players has seen a second of icetime in MHL, so no?
Might be so. Where do the 16-year old Russians generally play?

Russia's U16 team beat Sweden 5-1 today and won the tournament.

E: In the U17 tournament Russia beat Sweden 3-0 and also won the tournament.

How good are these age groups for Russia?

Last edited:

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Dinamo Minsk is pulling their MHL team from the league and will ice it in local mens league.

Concerning MHLB, rumors of at least two Kazakh team joining the competition. Atyrau and Ust-Kamenogorsk will try to set up teams, though Atyrau seems to admit that it might be a one season wonder, as the team would later join the mythical local U20 league that can't seems to put itself together for years now.

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
that's stupid on Minsk's behalf, u20s cannot compete against men on day to day bases. They will ruin the kids.

Considering it's Belorussian league they probably can. Surely makes sense from Minsk's perspective and one could make a point that all the traveling over practicing in the MHL is much more harmful for those kids than playing against men.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
Considering it's Belorussian league they probably can. Surely makes sense from Minsk's perspective and one could make a point that all the traveling over practicing in the MHL is much more harmful for those kids than playing against men.

I am sorry, that's bs, there's plenty practice time in the mhl.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
that's stupid on Minsk's behalf, u20s cannot compete against men on day to day bases. They will ruin the kids.

Slovakia is doing this for years with Team Orange. This isn't exactly a precedent.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
With Efimov leaving the job some serious changes must be in hand for the MHL...I hope the league survives, with overzealous patriots running the show. Efimov, wasn't quite the perfect guy for the job, but I am afraid his replacement won't be better.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
With Efimov leaving the job some serious changes must be in hand for the MHL...I hope the league survives, with overzealous patriots running the show. Efimov, wasn't quite the perfect guy for the job, but I am afraid his replacement won't be better.

It doesn't look that bad according with the article that came out today. League get full year younger as the oldest kids next year will be 96'ers instead of 95'ers. And as all of the teams must be linked to a parent team KHL I think that there naturally wont be any number exception players for the dropped independent schools. Also no foreigner rule for Russian teams won't allow Orenburgs to get 22-year old Czechs for their first line.

Only real negative is that this will leave Kazakhs and Belarussians playing in Russia in a bad spot, as playing internationally for their respective nations will make them ineligible for their MHL teams. :/

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
As usual, they should simply not consider former CCCP countries players as foreigners.

It's nothing "usual" at all. The last season or two were the first ones were Belarussians consequently have been treated as a local players, because of the Eurasian union partnership deal signed between the countries. Before that it all depended on the deepness of the team pockets whether their Belarussian or Kazakh player was counted as a local or not, also they of course had to decline playing for the national team.

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
It's nothing "usual" at all. The last season or two were the first ones were Belarussians consequently have been treated as a local players, because of the Eurasian union partnership deal signed between the countries. Before that it all depended on the deepness of the team pockets whether their Belarussian or Kazakh player was counted as a local or not, also they of course had to decline playing for the national team.

No, I meant "as usual" in another way, more as "as usual, as it should be regarding Russian teams and foreigners,..."

Alessandro Seren Rosso

Jun 21, 2004
Europe
thehockeywriters.com
I am not a fan of having no limits for foreigners at all, but I welcomed the decision of having Belarusian players not considered foreigners. I think it should be the same for other former CCCP countries, or at least for Kazakhs too, as per the custom union

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
On the other hand it looks like Dinamo Raubichi will be in...

I think you are referencing the preliminary list, right? It also have HK Riga still as in, but I think it is likely that if Dinamo Riga is done, so will HK Riga.

From that list I'm curious about Kuban, are they officially now partnered up with Sochi? Glad to see the back of Salzburg, Karlovy Vary, Chelny and Kapitan. Bit sad to loose Voskresensk and Tyumen as those teams have actual schools beneath them. Yeah, maybe a bit sad about Vladivostok team too. 10 teams have been shown the doors and the U18 team has been added, technically the level of play should grow.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad