Molodezhnaya Hokkeinaya Liga (MHL) - Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
Is it true that young people are moving away from Murmansk? I think I read something about it a while ago. Murmansk is overpopulated for a city in that climate and there are no jobs for young people there. So they emigrate to St.Petersburg, Moscow and some of them abroad.
The City of Murmansk lost around 170 thousand people since the early 90s. They have highly paid jobs in military and heavy industry, but that's not enough revert the depopulation trend. I meet new people from the Murmansk Oblast here almost every month.

Peter25

Sep 20, 2003
Visit site
The City of Murmansk lost around 170 thousand people since the early 90s. They have highly paid jobs in military and heavy industry, but that's not enough revert the depopulation trend. I meet new people from the Murmansk Oblast here almost every month.

Where do you actually live? In Petrozavodsk (Petroskoi in Finnish)? Isn't Karelia (at least north to Ladoga) even more economically depressed place than Murmansk.

Murmansk's prospects will become better if the Northern Sea Route ever become big and if the gas and oil drilling in Barents sea takes off.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
And here we are, enjoying the legacy of underveloped Soviet infrastructure. Trying to apply that system to modern day realities is just silly. Soviet Union and its hockey are dead, put them to rest.

For a city in the size of Murmansk even small rinks are a serious challenge. You can trust me on that. And that's like the least important thing to care for when you have stuff like roads, airports and public housing on the table.

You missed my point, which was that you don't need elaborate facilities to build functional hockey schools that could potentially develop a few players. A few here, a few there. Despite demographic trends, Murmansk still has a population of over 300 thousand, according to the census, and that's a big enough town to invest in one or two hockey schools. That takes money, but not enough to be affected by national growth trends.

Russia is the 7th largest economy in the World, and it can afford modest projects like expanding the availability of effective hockey schools. Murmansk is not the answer by a long way, but its one place that could potentially produce more players. If the KHL has any growth designs, the talent pool will have to come mainly from Russia. So the KHL, and to some extent the RHF and central government, will decide whether such investment is made.

In regard strictly to hockey, there were some accomplishments of the Soviet program that are worth duplicating, within the context of contemporary political realities. There will be no internal monopoly such as the one that the Soviet system produced, but there are aspects of coaching and training players that are worth cherry-picking what is of value.

obskyr

Apr 29, 2013
Karelia
In regard strictly to hockey, there were some accomplishments of the Soviet program that are worth duplicating, within the context of contemporary political realities. There will be no internal monopoly such as the one that the Soviet system produced, but there are aspects of coaching and training players that are worth cherry-picking what is of value.
That won't be very efficient without proper indoor facilities being available all season long, which brings us back to the state of infrastructure.

Russia is the 7th largest economy in the World, and it can afford modest projects like expanding the availability of effective hockey schools. Murmansk is not the answer by a long way, but its one place that could potentially produce more players. If the KHL has any growth designs, the talent pool will have to come mainly from Russia. So the KHL, and to some extent the RHF and central government, will decide whether such investment is made.

You missed my point, which was that you don't need elaborate facilities to build functional hockey schools that could potentially develop a few players. A few here, a few there. Despite demographic trends, Murmansk still has a population of over 300 thousand, according to the census, and that's a big enough town to invest in one or two hockey schools. That takes money, but not enough to be affected by national growth trends.
I'm not arguing that development of hockey nation-wide should be abandoned. I'm trying to say that it makes more sense to make an emphasis on development in the places where it will be more productive. Another school in Petersburg is better than another poorly run school in Murmansk.

Where do you actually live? In Petrozavodsk (Petroskoi in Finnish)? Isn't Karelia (at least north to Ladoga) even more economically depressed place than Murmansk.
I live in Petrozavodsk and I've been to Murmansk many times, including winters. I wouldn't give a second thought if I had to choose between the two. The Far North is a physically exhausting place to live and the city itself is quite far from being comfortable. Economy wise all regional capitals in Northern Russia are more or less the same (if you don't count Naryan-Mar ofc). Extra 200 eur on average for living in Arctic do not cover the shortcomings.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
That won't be very efficient without proper indoor facilities being available all season long, which brings us back to the state of infrastructure.

I'm not arguing that development of hockey nation-wide should be abandoned. I'm trying to say that it makes more sense to make an emphasis on development in the places where it will be more productive. Another school in Petersburg is better than another poorly run school in Murmansk.

I live in Petrozavodsk and I've been to Murmansk many times, including winters. I wouldn't give a second thought if I had to choose between the two. The Far North is a physically exhausting place to live and the city itself is quite far from being comfortable. Economy wise all regional capitals in Northern Russia are more or less the same (if you don't count Naryan-Mar ofc). Extra 200 eur on average for living in Arctic do not cover the shortcomings.

I'm not saying build a youth program around a city like Murmansk, I'm only saying include it in the plans. Of course, expand hockey schools in the big cities where it is easier to attract better coaches, but only targeting the big cities misses so many outstanding prospects who could otherwise contribute to the KHL/national teams. Look at Russian/Soviet hockey teams in the past, some of the great Canadian hockey legends (Howe, Hull, Gretzky, Orr, etc.), look at how many outstanding players come from farms or tiny cities.

I'm not talking about building big magnificent hockey arenas such as Legends in a place like Murmansk - only the small rinks (there is at least one such indoor hockey rink in Murmansk now) that could be used for both hockey schools and general public skating. That formula works around the World. Since there is already one indoor hockey rink in Murmansk, they really wouldn't need more than another one to fully cover the city for purposes of hockey schools. As NHL teams do, KHL teams should coordinate with city and regional government to build the rinks. Whether it will happen or not, this is the most comprehensive strategy for the KHL/RHF.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Any one know why Pavel Karnaukhov hasn't been involved in any international events? Is CSKA restricting him? I saw something on allhockey.ru but I couldn't make an understanding of the translation.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Any one know why Pavel Karnaukhov hasn't been involved in any international events? Is CSKA restricting him? I saw something on allhockey.ru but I couldn't make an understanding of the translation.

I know this is a useless post, but most likely nobody here will have anything at answer to this question. Personally, I'm hoping, that he's saving his eligibility to see how good he actually becomes before deciding which country to represent. Plenty of cases, when kids get capped by Russian junior teams and then they actually never get a callup to the real deal, as there all of the real superstars in front of them. Anyone remembers Roman Voloshenko?

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru

there's a rumor, that cska is restricting him and didn't let him go to the belorussian junior NT when called up. I am sure there's merit to the rumor as well.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
there's a rumor, that cska is restricting him and didn't let him go to the belorussian junior NT when called up. I am sure there's merit to the rumor as well.

Yet he didn't suit up for Russia as well, so what's the point? Even more so now when Belarussians are no longer counted towards foreigner quota, they can allow him to break into the big team eventually without having to scratch a veteran foreigner for him. Still pretty curious.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Young Russian talent to CHL

Opinions on having 24 players selected to CHL ? The numbers seem to get higher each year, draining talent from MHL would be my guess to how ppl here feel.

Yakushev72

Dec 27, 2010
Opinions on having 24 players selected to CHL ? The numbers seem to get higher each year, draining talent from MHL would be my guess to how ppl here feel.

Most of the kids are too inexperienced at that age and will lag behind their Canadian counterparts at that age, play a completely different style of hockey, and will get lost in the CHL when they are on their own. The issue of the MHL aside, many of the kids will become discouraged and abandon the idea of a hockey career prematurely.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Most of the kids are too inexperienced at that age and will lag behind their Canadian counterparts at that age, play a completely different style of hockey, and will get lost in the CHL when they are on their own. The issue of the MHL aside, many of the kids will become discouraged and abandon the idea of a hockey career prematurely.

Except the talent, they find a way to thrive. Plus the kids who are willing to adjust to the culture quickly seem to do well, and since Russian kids these days seem more North American than earlier generations, the adjustment seems to be getting better. But we can only see what this mass exodus of players will yield 10-15 years from now.

cska78

Nov 27, 2006
USA
www.fc-rostov.ru
MHL took a set of heavy losses, after loosing all Latvian teams, they have also lost Baltica (replaced by Zhalgiris - not familiar if it's the same roster diff owner or what?)
Added a polish team to the MHL-B. No Rostov team. All the changes are on the web-site, official as of today

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
they have also lost Baltica (replaced by Zhalgiris - not familiar if it's the same roster diff owner or what?

From what I understand same owner (although I have no idea who that is) - different roster. Don't know why exactly the name change was needed but it's most probably due to to some financial reasons.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
MHL took a set of heavy losses, after loosing all Latvian teams, they have also lost Baltica (replaced by Zhalgiris - not familiar if it's the same roster diff owner or what?)
Added a polish team to the MHL-B. No Rostov team. All the changes are on the web-site, official as of today

Not sharing this sentiment. Two out of three Latvian teams added little to the league, Zalgiris negates Baltica and Rostov is a new hockey "market", so not to bothered if they can't find twenty non-local kids to ice Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk style. Shame about Murmansk though, I've already expressed my soft spot for norther teams. Irbis Kazan moves to MHL proper as Bars Kazan will try to tackle pro league VHL. Omsk-2 drops out of MHL as it was icing second/third string players anyway.

Nice to see Elektrostal, Bryansk and Samara playing in MHL B, glad about Titan Klin not going bust completely, but VHL hardly will miss them. Mednogorsk merges their team into Yuzhny Ural Orsk system fully and Krasnodar uses it's promotion and levels up.

Not sure about Mozhaisk, I know nothing about the size of the place nor the hockey history in the city. Anyway, picture hardly is bleak. These are rapid expansion years, so it will take a time to filter out which cities will be playing where in the long term.

Don't know why exactly the name change was needed but it's most probably due to to some financial reasons.

99% sure this theory is correct as Baltica went bust mid-season.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
How would you guys rank the top 2016 eliglibles? I would think Sokolov, Naumenkov, Alexeev, Abramov, and Popugaev would top the list but please correct me.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Anywhere I can find a stream, our favourite KHL streaming site no longer at the domain! :cry:

This tournament is always fun to watch. Even the Canadian team will feature Lazarev and Svechnikov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad