Confirmed with Link: Mojo to Bruins

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
damn you guys are hating on the general mojo twitter too? lol you guys must be a hoot at parties lol

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
I also hope that the devils make a splash on july 1 but i think your all kidding yourselves. no big name ufa have come here and they wont be coming here. i have a sinking feeling the devils will keep all the picks. i dont see any help coming in july 1 and that the kids will be given a chance. whats that mean for hall? i dont know

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I also hope that the devils make a splash on july 1 but i think your all kidding yourselves. no big name ufa have come here and they wont be coming here. i have a sinking feeling the devils will keep all the picks. i dont see any help coming in july 1 and that the kids will be given a chance. whats that mean for hall? i dont know

The hope is to use the surplus of draft picks to acquire a more proven player or two, similar to how we acquired Palmieri and Johansson.

UFA is a crapshoot as to who will even make it there in the first place, so pinning any hope to July 1st in the first place is just wishful thinking.

Reactions: ChicksDigTheTrap

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
damn you guys are hating on the general mojo twitter too? lol you guys must be a hoot at parties lol

if the party was as lame and tired as that twitter account, i’d drop a deuce in the host’s fish tank and leave

The hope is to use the surplus of draft picks to acquire a more proven player or two, similar to how we acquired Palmieri and Johansson.

UFA is a crapshoot as to who will even make it there in the first place, so pinning any hope to July 1st in the first place is just wishful thinking.

i’m ok with trading the picks for a known commodity; i’m also ok with using them to draft. i have a confidence in this regime that i didn’t have with the previous one so i’m pretty sure we can get some quality prospects

Reactions: Prezidentas Zubrus

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country

Agree, plus teams almost always overpay for the production they get. UFA's are typically 27-28 and many of them get 7 year deals which means they are highly likely to be underperforming their contract by the end of it. Personally I am not interested in signing any of the top free agents in this years class, but I know that puts me in a tiny minority.

IMO Shero has put the Devils in a good position moving forward. The Devils are going to get a good look at some of the young players the rest of the year, the Devils are well under the cap, and have draft capital that can be traded for players or to maneuver around during the draft to get players our scouts like. I see the light the end of the tunnel.

Reactions: MartyOwns

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
The fact that people are so against MoJo coming back is hilarious.

Did you not watch the last 10-15 games? He was the Devils best player, and his chemistry with Bratt was clicking at levels we haven't seen since Elias and Sykora.

Reactions: Billdo

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
The fact that people are so against MoJo coming back is hilarious.

Did you not watch the last 10-15 games? He was the Devils best player, and his chemistry with Bratt was clicking at levels we haven't seen since Elias and Sykora.

if he only performs that way for a quarter of the season, and he has a history of concussions, signing him long term probably isn’t the best move. having said that, it sounds like shero isn’t interested in signing him so you may want to take it up with him

Patrik26

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 12, 2016
Sussex, NJ

Shero is going to need to continue building this through the draft and good trades. Once the team turns it around and becomes relevant, only then can we entertain a big time FA wanting to play in Newark.

Reactions: TBF1972

mtnet

LGD!
Oct 31, 2014
What makes you say that?

I believe it was revealed yesterday through Shero's comments that they never discussed an extension with MJ. They mulled over the possibility internally but ultimately decided they should move him out.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
Agree, plus teams almost always overpay for the production they get. UFA's are typically 27-28 and many of them get 7 year deals which means they are highly likely to be underperforming their contract by the end of it. Personally I am not interested in signing any of the top free agents in this years class, but I know that puts me in a tiny minority.

IMO Shero has put the Devils in a good position moving forward. The Devils are going to get a good look at some of the young players the rest of the year, the Devils are well under the cap, and have draft capital that can be traded for players or to maneuver around during the draft to get players our scouts like. I see the light the end of the tunnel.
I don't know about historically but last year I think Tavares was the only guy to sign a 7 year deal.

In general I imagine they are pretty rare. The 5 year deal is the more common.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
there were a bunch of shero quotes you can look up, but here’s a sort of summary-

if you read between the lines a bit, it’s clear mojo wasn’t part of our long term plans. mojo served a purpose here, but i think moving on is the right call

Makes one wonder about Hall. I know he is a different level of player, but the above points to building around Nico and the young guys.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Makes one wonder about Hall. I know he is a different level of player, but the above points to building around Nico and the young guys.

i hear you, but like you said hall is another level. mvp caliber. not that i’m against moving him for the right price

Stephen Gionta

Boston College > Boston University
Jun 15, 2015
East Rutherford, NJ
I don't think Shero's quotes implied they had no interest in signing him at all. I think those quotes implied they clearly thought that recouping assets for him was the better move, and if he makes it to July 1, I'm sure Devils will be calling.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I don't think Shero's quotes implied they had no interest in signing him at all. I think those quotes implied they clearly thought that recouping assets for him was the better move, and if he makes it to July 1, I'm sure Devils will be calling.

When he says he didn't pursue extending him I'd say that's pretty clear. To me that would have been the only acceptable excuse for keeping him past Monday but that wasn't an option to begin with.

Reactions: glenwo2

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007

if we’re adding a top 6 forward in july on a long term contract, it should be a center. hell, if the lottery gods are good to us we may very well be able to replace mojo through this year’s draft (although i’m not counting on it)

Reactions: devilsblood

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
if we’re adding a top 6 forward in july on a long term contract, it should be a center. hell, if the lottery gods are good to us we may very well be able to replace mojo through this year’s draft (although i’m not counting on it)

NJ could conceivably come away with a center or winger of top line quality if the draft falls their way (or a potential first pair defender). And one that won’t have to be protected in the expansion draft or paid immediately.

ChicksDigTheTrap

No quick fixes, no cutting corners and no cheating
Sep 16, 2018
Springsteen Country
I don't know about historically but last year I think Tavares was the only guy to sign a 7 year deal.

In general I imagine they are pretty rare. The 5 year deal is the more common.
I should have written "top end" in the first sentence when I commented on the length of contract. You are probably right that the less than top end free agents go for 5. I would be more worried about how much of the time the player is in their 30's during the contract.

With respect to post #117 there is nothing to indicate that the Devils are not going to make Hall a very fair offer on July 1. Last summer Josh Harris was clear that re-signing Hall was a top priority. Unless something has changed behind the scenes, the ball will be in Hall's court. If he does not want to be a Devil it is unlikely it will have to do with money. Hall has earned the right to test the free agent market if that is what he wants to do. No use worrying about something that will not be happening until July IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad