Confirmed with Link: Mojo to Bruins

R8Devs

1-5-6-12
Nov 20, 2010
New Jersey
2nd and 3rd to acquire him

2 seasons of him as a Devil, +2nd round pick, +4th round pick. it's pretty good imo considering Nyquist and Zuccarello didn't go for much more (I don't think Dallas is going to meet the conditions to send firsts back to NYR). Especially there was a report that said there haven't been talks of extension between him and the Devils. The only reason I would have kept him was if he re-signed right after the deadline but since he wasn't this is good in case he doesn't sign with the Devils on July 1.

3 2nds could also be used to move up or acquire another young player

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Great news to me. There was no guarantee he was even going to re-sign here and he might have even told Ray as much. We have no idea.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I'm on the fence as to whether I'd rather have kept him for that return.

A 2 and a 4 is all we were getting for him after Zucc went for a 2 and a 3. He wasn't ever bringing back a 1 under any circumstances. We're lucky he timed his hot streak for the six weeks before the deadline or we probably don't even get the 2 back.

And the player has some say in whether he wants to stay after the season too.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I’ll never understand this.

It's because at 27, a re-signed MoJo is a valuable asset to a young team moving forward. Whereas if we actually draft players with those picks there's a statistically very good chance we end up with either a player that plays ~100 career NHL games or nothing but career minor leaguers.

My hope is that Ray can use those picks in trades for younger but established players.

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
It's because at 27, a re-signed MoJo is a valuable asset to a young team moving forward. Whereas if we actually draft players with those picks there's a statistically very good chance we end up with either a player that plays ~100 career NHL games or nothing but career minor leaguers.

My hope is that Ray can use those picks in trades for younger but established players.

I guarantee Shero doesn’t draft with all three 2nd round picks.

That’s the whole point. When you’re forced to choose between hanging onto an expiring contract because it’d make sense to extend the player, or taking a 2nd+, a rebuilding team has to take the latter every time.

Especially when that rebuilding team is led by a GM with an impressive track record of turning excess picks into good (sometimes great) NHL players.

Hanging onto Johansson would’ve been so ****ing stupid.

Spoiled Bratt

Jun 29, 2016
How can anyone not be satisfied with this deal is beyond me. We got him for a 2nd & 3rd, had him for 2 years where we tried to make some noise and it didn't work out our way. We proceeded to almost recoup our assets for a guy that probably wasn't resigning with us in July.

Knowing Ray and what he can do with 2nd and 3rd round picks when trying to acquire players on teams that are cap strapped, we're in the drivers seat with 3 x 2nds and 2 x 3rds.

This is a homerun IMO.

Tretyak 20

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
I guarantee Shero doesn’t draft with all three 2nd round picks.

That’s the whole point. When you’re forced to choose between hanging onto an expiring contract because it’d make sense to extend the player, or taking a 2nd+, a rebuilding team has to take the latter every time.

Especially when that rebuilding team is led by a GM with an impressive track record of turning excess picks into good (sometimes great) NHL players.

Hanging onto Johansson would’ve been so ****ing stupid.

I would have liked to see him re-sign before the TDL, true. After that would have been a risk. I just really hope Ray is planning on trading some of those picks. At this point we have some core players we either need to commit to building around or trade. Continuing to try to build primarily through the draft just makes the rebuild look endless.

That said, Ray has a great reputation as a horse-trader, so I'm really hoping he comes into the off season ready to wheel and deal. Use those assets to go after Brodin or someone similar.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->