Confirmed with Link: Mojo 3 year deal, 4.583 AAV

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
not happy but not terrible. he really does make a difference on the pp. Just useless most of the rest of the time and especially when it matters.

tycoonheart

Apr 7, 2010
Very reasonable. He had a good season. If that is the Mojo we can get for the extent of this contract, I'm happy.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Meh. I would expect to see more ES playoff points from a skilled forward making 4.5. He is not a Trotz read grind em down guy. Not all have to be, but then Trotz has to adjust tactics to get the most of our players like MJ.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
Mojo with Eller forms the basis of a pretty good 3rd line. Or you could throw him with Backstrom and Williams to form an elite shutdown line and put Bura with Eller and someone else. Not sure those two will go well together though since I think they are both shoot first guys where as Mojo is more of a setup guy. Then again an eff it, shoot from everywhere and go to the net 3rd line doesn't sound like the worst thing ever.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009

I don't know all the specifics about the expansion draft, but would a limited NTC force the Caps to protect him in the expansion draft? I figured they would already have been planning on protecting him, but does this make it an absolute?

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I guess it sets them up to get something for him when the time comes at least. Unless he develops amazing chemistry with Eller or Burakovsky's development stalls or reverses there's no way they should pay a 3LW this much. (This 3LW anyway.)

Last edited:

Caps Circle

Jan 19, 2015
Chantilly, VA
I don't know all the specifics about the expansion draft, but would a limited NTC force the Caps to protect him in the expansion draft? I figured they would already have been planning on protecting him, but does this make it an absolute?

No, only NMC must be protected.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Meh. I would expect to see more ES playoff points from a skilled forward making 4.5. He is not a Trotz read grind em down guy. Not all have to be, but then Trotz has to adjust tactics to get the most of our players like MJ.

IIRC his most common linemates this postseason were Mike Richards and Jason Chimera. Not easy to put up ES points with those two guys.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I wonder how many were just hoping he was take the one year and walk? A 3 year deal means that more than likely he is staying a while.

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
I wonder how many were just hoping he was take the one year and walk? A 3 year deal means that more than likely he is staying a while.
Or the team was fairly confident he would get $4.5M in arbitration anyway, a reasonable assumption, and this is the superior asset management decision.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007

Maybe, maybe not. Based on what I thought were his comparables I had him at $4.5-4.75M. This deal puts him at the low end of that, including 2 ufa years. He may be a much more tradeable asset at this price compared to, say 4.75-5M. The limited trade stipulation is probably compensation for not getting that extra money, and has value to him while the lower price tag has value to the team.

I honestly hope that's not an issue, and he can elevate his game enough to nab a top 6 spot.

Xaroc

Aug 3, 2005
Maybe, maybe not. Based on what I thought were his comparables I had him at $4.5-4.75M. This deal puts him at the low end of that, including 2 ufa years. He may be a much more tradeable asset at this price compared to, say 4.75-5M. The limited trade stipulation is probably compensation for not getting that extra money, and has value to him while the lower price tag has value to the team.

I agree, this deal is very attractive if they want to move it or leave him exposed for the expansion draft. I doubt he is here in year two or three of this deal.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
IIRC his most common linemates this postseason were Mike Richards and Jason Chimera. Not easy to put up ES points with those two guys.

Exactly, he can't drive a line. So he is a passenger. It's not easy to put up ES points as a passenger.

He should have been setting those 2 for scoring chances, and us all laughing as they flubbed them.

With the NTC in place the last 2 years, the stage is set for a trade. If all his problems are his linemates fault, other GMs know this and he would be a valuable trade piece.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I agree, this deal is very attractive if they want to move it or leave him exposed for the expansion draft. I doubt he is here in year two or three of this deal.

It's a good deal by gmbm as far as asset management for a few reasons, some of which have been mentioned. Getting a guy with these terms amounts to a bit of a hometown discount, imo, and you'd always rather have player value in the form of a player who's already in your system rather than a new guy even at the same number, unless that new guy really brings some improvements and can assimilate quickly.

Gmbm has shown ability to get FAs to sign for reasonable amounts and terms (except Orpik). Chalk another one up in the "good" column. How Mojo delivers on it is up to him now...

Carlzner

Oct 31, 2011
Denver, CO
Meh... Whatever.

There really isn't a better option to spend that money for this upcoming season and I'm in favor of going all in so... It's alright I guess.

As long as they can figure out a way to re-sign Oshie next offseason. Wouldn't be opposed to just letting Mojo go in Expansion.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Exactly, he can't drive a line. So he is a passenger. It's not easy to put up ES points as a passenger.

He should have been setting those 2 for scoring chances, and us all laughing as they flubbed them.

With the NTC in place the last 2 years, the stage is set for a trade. If all his problems are his linemates fault, other GMs know this and he would be a valuable trade piece.

I agree he's not really the type of player that seems to be the driving force of a line, but not everyone is. Even so, it's hard to criticize him for not putting up points at even strength when he was playing with what amounted to 4th liners for most of the playoffs. When he wasn't with black holes (basically only on the PP), he scored points.

I don't love the deal. He's an important member of the power play and I get that, but I feel like there is a slight disconnect between his objective market value and his actual value to the team. I feel it's a slight overpay but he does have a contract that can be moved, if necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad