Moderator Appreciation Thread

Miguel Cairo

Mar 18, 2020
Personally I think the mods here do a great job. For all the time they spend here I think it’s about time they get paid. We wouldn’t have such a highly functioning community if it wasn’t for their time and effort. This contribution should be reflected with monetary compensation. What do you guys think?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Personally I think the mods here do a great job. For all the time they spend here I think it’s about time they get paid. We wouldn’t have such a highly functioning community if it wasn’t for their time and effort. This contribution should be reflected with monetary compensation. What do you guys think?

how do you know they're not getting paid

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
You are hereby authorized to redirect the money I sent you for your previously ill-conceived @Roman Fell fund drive .

Miguel Cairo

Mar 18, 2020
You are hereby authorized to redirect the money I sent you for your previously ill-conceived @Roman Fell fund drive .
I actually had a crazy thought that they would be paid by the company they enrich with their time and efforts. I am told similar arrangements have happened before.

Sep 19, 2008
562445.jpg

@The Nemesis

@Fixed to Ruin

@hangman005

"It's not the moderator's fault /
That the HFBoards servers collapsed."

Reactions: Fixed to Ruin

Kairi Zaide

Unforgiven
Aug 11, 2009
Quebec City
Do you know so called “volunteers” don’t even get paid?
Speaking for myself, I don't want to be paid. This is a fun, somewhat relaxing (sometimes terrifying) job, with no hours and relatively low expectations. I'm expected to give what time I feel comfortable giving to the site, to help the site.
Now let's say all moderators get a $10,000/yr salary (random number I pulled out of the air). Suddenly I'm being measured for pay. There's pressure on me to handle flags, because, ya know, it's my job. Also, we see (even more) candidates in moderator elections that don't want to do it because they want the site to prosper, but because there's money involved.
As a moderator, I wouldn't like the pressure. As a user, I wouldn't want to have moderators running a site I participate on because they want money. I want moderators that are doing it because they want the site to be the best place possible.
If you take away the volunteer part, you're left with hired hands that are out to make the numbers on the dashboard next to their name as high as possible.
User might be a spammer, but probably not? Meh, nuke them anyway. Because that adds to the number.
Someone posts something that's borderline, but you personally think should be left open? Close it, because there's a number for it.
I don't want to see this behavior. I don't want to exhibit this behavior. A cool hat and a couple t-shirts is plenty.

Reactions: JMCx4

Miguel Cairo

Mar 18, 2020
Speaking for myself, I don't want to be paid. This is a fun, somewhat relaxing (sometimes terrifying) job, with no hours and relatively low expectations. I'm expected to give what time I feel comfortable giving to the site, to help the site.
Now let's say all moderators get a $10,000/yr salary (random number I pulled out of the air). Suddenly I'm being measured for pay. There's pressure on me to handle flags, because, ya know, it's my job. Also, we see (even more) candidates in moderator elections that don't want to do it because they want the site to prosper, but because there's money involved.
As a moderator, I wouldn't like the pressure. As a user, I wouldn't want to have moderators running a site I participate on because they want money. I want moderators that are doing it because they want the site to be the best place possible.
If you take away the volunteer part, you're left with hired hands that are out to make the numbers on the dashboard next to their name as high as possible.
User might be a spammer, but probably not? Meh, nuke them anyway. Because that adds to the number.
Someone posts something that's borderline, but you personally think should be left open? Close it, because there's a number for it.
I don't want to see this behavior. I don't want to exhibit this behavior. A cool hat and a couple t-shirts is plenty.
“No, you see I like to have my labor exploited for profit!”

Miguel Cairo

Mar 18, 2020
That argument isn’t comparing working for pay to working without pay it’s comparing working for pay with a terrible system of incentives to working without pay.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad