Modano cheers on win from Press Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
CD - Columbus

The Jackets held on for a 2-1 win over the visiting Ottawa Senators tonight, with star center Mike Modano watching from the Press Box. The win extends their franchise-record winning streak to 13 games.

Modano received a possible concussion in the Jackets' last game after a late hook sent him crashing into the boards at the Shark Tank in San Jose.

In his absence, Jackets scoring leader Slava Kozlov stepped up and led former linemates Mark Bell and Jeremy Roenick, while Henrik Sedin stepped in between Mike York and Brendan Shanahan.

After a scoreless first in which the Jackets and Senators traded chances, the Jackets started the second period off with a goal in the first minute from none other than Kozlov, assisted by Bell and Roenick. The Jackets controlled play throughout the period, with 13 shots to Ottawa's 7, and were rewarded with a second goal late in the period, this from Shanahan with assists from York and Adrian Aucoin, who extends his scoring lead among Jackets blueliners.

Martin Brodeur, who looked sharp all night after a couple of soft goals in San Jose, was perfect until early in the third period, when the Sens' Viktor Kozlov managed to bang home Alex Karpovtsev's rebound in the crease before Brodeur could freeze it. Brodeur shrugged off the goal, however, and that was as close as the Sens would get.

Following the game, the Jackets announced that Modano - who had been previously listed as out for at least a week - had cleared all doctors' tests earlier in the day, and would be a game-time decision when the Jackets face off against the Flyers in Philadelphia tomorrow night. The Flyers are coming off an 8-1 drubbing at the hands of the Edmonton Oilers, so they can be expected to have something to prove tomorrow. Jackets Head Coach Mike Babcock said they may decide to keep Modano out, as a precaution.

"We played well tonight against a very tough team, we played well defensively, and came away with the win", Babcock told reporters. "I'm comfortable going into tomorrow night with our current lineup, but of course any time you can add a player of Mike's skill and leadership, you want to do it. He wants to be in there too, but head injuries can be tricky. We'll have to play it by ear."

Central Division rival Detroit GM Drew Niece, who recently fired his entire medical staff after repeated misdiagnoses and longer-than-expected recovery times for his injured players, and whose team has been in a free-fall since trading starting goaltender Olaf Kolzig and checking center Wes Walz, is reported as having had this to say when he heard about Modano's swift recovery: "@#$%^& figures."

Milo Minderbinder
Columbus Discoverer

Mar 1, 2002
I heard Modano ripped the post-game spread saying, "I hear they have lobster in Minnesota....and they let their wives eat too."

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
What's the smell? Could it be... sour grapes?

In all seriousness, my boys will slip soon, and then I suspect the slump will be long and profound, so I'll just enjoy the success while I can, and bask in your envy! :biglaugh:

Ohio Jones

Game on...
Feb 28, 2002
Great White North
Wild GM said:
Heh...nah. Just trying to insert a slice of Olympic real life into our little HFNHL world.

(I can't stand that whiny puke)

I'll give you that - I'm a fan of Modano on the ice, but off the ice he hasn't impressed me.

Interestingly, despite Canada's disappointing finish, Brodeur played quite well - certainly none of the losses can be hung on his shoulders (maybe he should have scored a couple of goals? :dunno: ).

Anyway, Jackets fans are now pulling for Finland (Pitkanen) and Sweden (H. Sedin and Norstrom). Should be an exciting good medal round.

Sep 23, 2005
Hamilton
Ohio Jones said:
What's the smell? Could it be... sour grapes?
hahaha not at all, but too bad we cant actually see these phantom "soft" goals.

Impressive streak though. I thought my 10-gamer was a rare occurence.

Ohio Jones said:
Anyway, Jackets fans are now pulling for Finland (Pitkanen) and Sweden (H. Sedin and Norstrom). Should be an exciting good medal round.

Yea, Sharks fans are just hoping Forsberg doesn't go down! Other than that we have Jaroslav Spacek for the Czechs still in the fire, with Elias leaving with an injury earlier already. :dunno:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->