Modano and Goodenow comments

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Sorry if this has been mentioned already... I scanned the recent threads and didn't see it. Both comments are interesting. I don't recall ever hearing Goodenow say something like this, where he almost seems to be acknowledging that the players are dissatisfied with him.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/hearsay.jsp

On the heels of the cancellation of the NHL season, Mike Modano is again questioning the leadership of the Players Association, the Dallas Morning News is reporting.
Modano said the NHLPA had experienced "a lot of arguing" in the last couple of days, and there was a significant divide in philosophy when leadership offered a salary cap it had previously said it would never take. "There were a lot of people who really couldn't understand how we could go so long not talking about a cap and then just change over to a cap like that," Modano said. "And a lot of people didn't like it."Modano said he no longer knew whether Bob Goodenow had the support of the players. Goodenow said at his press conference on Feb. 16 he would step aside if the players ever thought he was part of the problem.
"I have, over the last 15 years, had a good relationship with the players," Goodenow said. "But at any point in the future, if circumstances change and they feel there's a better way to do things, I'll be glad to do that for them or they can make any steps.""But right now I can tell you," he added, "I've not had anybody say anything like that to me at all."

Greschner4

Jan 21, 2005
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Sorry if this has been mentioned already... I scanned the recent threads and didn't see it. Both comments are interesting. I don't recall ever hearing Goodenow say something like this, where he almost seems to be acknowledging that the players are dissatisfied with him.

On the heels of the cancellation of the NHL season, Mike Modano is again questioning the leadership of the Players Association, the Dallas Morning News is reporting.
Modano said the NHLPA had experienced "a lot of arguing" in the last couple of days, and there was a significant divide in philosophy when leadership offered a salary cap it had previously said it would never take. "There were a lot of people who really couldn't understand how we could go so long not talking about a cap and then just change over to a cap like that," Modano said. "And a lot of people didn't like it."Modano said he no longer knew whether Bob Goodenow had the support of the players. Goodenow said at his press conference on Feb. 16 he would step aside if the players ever thought he was part of the problem.
"I have, over the last 15 years, had a good relationship with the players," Goodenow said. "But at any point in the future, if circumstances change and they feel there's a better way to do things, I'll be glad to do that for them or they can make any steps.""But right now I can tell you," he added, "I've not had anybody say anything like that to me at all."

Um, there was a "better way to do things" -- I think they're talking to YOU.

bladoww

Team of the Future
Jan 13, 2005
The fact that Goodenow is even saying this shows you he doesn't have the support of the NHLPA.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Wasn't Modano one of the ones who we were all telling to screw off because he thought that the system was fine the way it was or never accept a cap?

Now he's saying there's in-fighting. I think 99% of us are going to take Modano's word in this over Goodenow.

Goodenow is done with the union anyways when this is over.

Nordik_19

Dec 18, 2002
Québec
Visit site
I don't think Goodenow would have said : I had a lot of problems with players questioning my method but what can you do I'm a moron ! ... You don't have to always say something to know that it happened !

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
Sounds like Bob is in CYA mode. He knows the players are pissed and rightfully so. They were told to fight for no cap for the longest time and when the union offered that cap proposal it made all the players look like fools. It's one thing to loss them money it's another to make them look like a bunch of idiots. Hockey players are the nicest group of players i have ever meet. And now public opinion is that they are a bunch of greedy, flip flopping idiots.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
There's been some speculation that you or Gary would have to be removed for a deal to be possibly done. Do you see that in the future?

I have, over the last 15 years, had a good relationship with the players, but at any point in time, I'd be glad to answer any questions that any of them have at any point in time. But at any point in the future, if circumstances change, and they feel there's a better way to do things, I'll be glad to do that for them or they can make any steps. But right now I can tell you I've not had anybody say anything like that to me at all.

http://www.nhlpa.com/Content/Feature.asp?contentId=3428

Goodenow did say it and he is definelty in trouble with the players by giving into a cap system.

hubofhockey

Aug 14, 2003
JWI19 said:
Sounds like Bob is in CYA mode. He knows the players are pissed and rightfully so. They were told to fight for no cap for the longest time and when the union offered that cap proposal it made all the players look like fools. It's one thing to loss them money it's another to make them look like a bunch of idiots. Hockey players are the nicest group of players i have ever meet. And now public opinion is that they are a bunch of greedy, flip flopping idiots.

Methinks the flip-flopping is the least of it. In fact, it least it shows, if someone put it under their nose, they COULD fog a mirror.
As for greed and stupidity. Got that right.

kpd/hoh

ColoradoHockeyFan

Feb 17, 2005
Denver area
Goodenow did say it and he is definelty in trouble with the players by giving into a cap system.

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I doubted that he said it... I was referring more to the fact that I personally had missed this comment, and it's pretty telling, since I didn't recall ever hearing him acknowledge this type of thing in the past.

Cully9

Oct 15, 2004
JWI19 said:

Bingo. By having the players constantly tell anyone who would listen "no cap", it sold them down the river (not financially) to agree to a cap. If the players might have known that a cap would be in their future, they might not have been so vocal in their anti-cap statements, because now they don't have a philisophical pony to ride. They're simply stuck wanting more money than the league is offering.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
ColoradoHockeyFan said:

Bettman said the same sorts of things when asked a similar question, though perhaps said it a bit more eloquently . . . no surprise there huh? I would not read too much into these words, however I have little doubt that his job very well may be in jeapordy. I know that if I were a player I would be very pissed, so I would imagine that his job security is not nearly as high as Bettmans, who most seem to think is winning this dispute, if not has already won.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
ColoradoHockeyFan said:
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that I doubted that he said it... I was referring more to the fact that I personally had missed this comment, and it's pretty telling, since I didn't recall ever hearing him acknowledge this type of thing in the past.

I can't believe Goodenow would admit it either, but it goes to show he knows that his employers aren't pleased with him at the moment. His strategy of deadline hunting will now most likely cost him his job.

mooseOAK*

Finnigan said:
I can't believe Goodenow would admit it either, but it goes to show he knows that his employers aren't pleased with him at the moment. His strategy of deadline hunting will now most likely cost him his job.
But he has a $3 million a year contract through 2008.

Kind of ironic that the players are stuck with Goodenow in the same way that some NHL teams are stuck paying a lot of money for guys they now want to get rid of.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'd like to hear what Pierre Dagenais and Mike Commodore have to say.

red devil

Oct 14, 2004
mooseOAK said:
But he has a $3 million a year contract through 2008.

Kind of ironic that the players are stuck with Goodenow in the same way that some NHL teams are stuck paying a lot of money for guys they now want to get rid of.

Oh well, I guess the players now know how the owners feel when they sign a player to a multi-year deal and he doesn't perform up to his expectations. :lol

Jaysfanatic*

Here's the thing, I don't think players are mad about having a cap per say, but they're more upset with the fact, that if we were going to take a cap eventually, why didn't we just take it in August, and this mess would have been avoided. The boys of winter really just wanted to play.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Devilsfanatic said:
Here's the thing, I don't think players are mad about having a cap per say, but they're more upset with the fact, that if we were going to take a cap eventually, why didn't we just take it in August, and this mess would have been avoided. The boys of winter really just wanted to play.

I'll drink to that comment :cheers:

NHLFanSince2020

What'd He Say?
Feb 22, 2003
Visit site
go kim johnsson said:
I'd like to hear what Pierre Dagenais and Mike Commodore have to say.
What, and get beat down again?

I would really like to know what the PA did to these guys to shut them up and KEEP them shut up.

Oh, I forgot, they were simply EDUCATED by the PA. :lol

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Devilsfanatic said:

I am not much for sticking up for Goodenow, all in all I saw the worst negotiating that I have ever seen from anyone displayed by him this lockout. This guy went to Harvard and is a Lawyer? :shakehead But that said, on this point I will defend him. If he had come to the players in August and tried to sell them on a Cap, they would never have gone for it, they would have revolted. They believed, why I have no clue, but deeply believed that the Owners would cave and had to be convinced otherwise. Well, the Owners have them convinced now. Had them thinking about it strongly I think a couple of weeks before the cancellation. That was when to sell them on a Cap and go negotiate hard. There was Goodenows biggest failure actually, not back August, but a few weeks back.

Nordik_19

Dec 18, 2002
Québec
Visit site
getnziggywidit said:
What, and get beat down again?

I would really like to know what the PA did to these guys to shut them up and KEEP them shut up.
They killed their dog ? I'd like to know to ! I want to hear a lot of comment from players trashing the PA. Linden quote in the Philadelphia inquirer saying that : The players are comfortable with our position... I just don't buy that !

mooseOAK*

Devilsfanatic said:
Right, from the beginning I could see that they were painting themselves into a corner with all the "no cap" nonsense. On the other hand a $49 million cap wasn't really a cap anyway since it was so ridiculously high.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad