[MOD WARNING POST #598] Should Dave Tippett Be Fired Before Next Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ebb

the nondescript
Dec 22, 2015
PA
Where did Doan express frustration about his contract?

I'm sorry, but I ain't going to go back and research it for you; you can believe me or not--your call (I am The mAd Opiner after all) and the bulk of my posts are largely based on my opinion just like at least 80% (my guess, don't ask me to do research to determine which posts are opinion and which ones aren't) of the others on here.

I'm going by my memory of some of the interviews and such that he did around the time. I'm assuming wherever I saw it was possibly before the contract was signed, so it could have been a negotiating tactic. Of course, once he signed the contract, he's certainly not going to say it sucked and was a horrible and disrespectable process, IF that's how he felt.

KG

Sep 23, 2010
2 things made me question Doan a bit

1) complained about the contract
2) complained about his ice time and usage

He's 40 years old and wondering why they're not paying him and using him like he's 30?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
2 things made me question Doan a bit

1) complained about the contract
2) complained about his ice time and usage

He's 40 years old and wondering why they're not paying him and using him like he's 30?

Most players complain about their ice time, but again, I have not heard Doan complain about his contract or ice time. In fact, he stated in one of his last pressers that he was not sure if he was coming back next year and needs to talk to DT etc. etc. to see if they all agree if he can still help this team. He knows he is at the end of the road, or very close.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You don't remember anything that doesnt fit your false narrative.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Most players complain about their ice time, but again, I have not heard Doan complain about his contract or ice time. In fact, he stated in one of his last pressers that he was not sure if he was coming back next year and needs to talk to DT etc. etc. to see if they all agree if he can still help this team. He knows he is at the end of the road, or very close.

As someone who has attended too many press conferences for one lifetime, I find it somewhat charming that you are willing to attribute them with establishing concrete, nuance-free information. It explains a lot about your various positions on the ownership, management, and the players if all you accept as truth is what comes out of their mouths in a controlled setting.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
As someone who has attended too many press conferences for one lifetime, I find it somewhat charming that you are willing to attribute them with establishing concrete, nuance-free information. It explains a lot about your various positions on the ownership, management, and the players if all you accept as truth is what comes out of their mouths in a controlled setting.

What comes out of their mouths are at least facts, not some made up quotes/posts trying to make it sound like a fact. We all BS some of the time, but we don't BS all of the time, but making up posts to make it sound like fact is BS all of the time.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
You mean like "telling everyone trying to discuss the myriad of potential arena pitfalls with ASU to stop discussing it and move on because it's a 'done deal'"level of BS?

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
What comes out of their mouths are at least facts, not some made up quotes/posts trying to make it sound like a fact. We all BS some of the time, but we don't BS all of the time, but making up posts to make it sound like fact is BS all of the time.

Accusing someone of making things up in order to protect your narrative is worse than BS.

What comes out of mouths at press conferences and media availabilities is rarely simple fact. Most of the time, it's spin. At the very least, it's sanitized for public consumption and leaves out detail that might be pejorative to the individual or organization making the statement.

So if you're swallowing the party line with no skepticism or motivation for confirmation, that's your prerogative. Accusing someone of lying simply because you choose not to pursue further information, though, is weak.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Backing away from the personal stuff, just how can the Coyotes afford to fire Tippett. Even with a new owner and new direction, the financial obligation to Tippett is onerous. The Coyotes can spend only so much in dead money.

So this answer to this might be a mutual parting of the ways with a less onerous buy out. That would mean that Tippett had had it with the Coyotes.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Backing away from the personal stuff, just how can the Coyotes afford to fire Tippett. Even with a new owner and new direction, the financial obligation to Tippett is onerous. The Coyotes can spend only so much in dead money.

So this answer to this might be a mutual parting of the ways with a less onerous buy out. That would mean that Tippett had had it with the Coyotes.

The Coyotes can't afford to fire him. And I don't think they're interested in buying him out. The search for a new coach would be as onerous as the financial commitment of a buyout/firing.

It should be noted that Tippett might actually be staying as head coach because of the amount of money he'd leave on the table if he quit. It's no secret that he's been frustrated by the franchise and the team's performance. I've been told by someone purporting to know him that he's tired of the endless ownership intrigue, of being saddled with a group of small-time pretenders, and of looking bad because of what's happened on the ice with the rosters he's had. How much of that is fact and how much is hearsay or opinion is anyone's guess, but there is a lot of circumstantial evidence that seems to lend weight to that assessment.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The Coyotes can't afford to fire him. And I don't think they're interested in buying him out. The search for a new coach would be as onerous as the financial commitment of a buyout/firing.

It should be noted that Tippett might actually be staying as head coach because of the amount of money he'd leave on the table if he quit. It's no secret that he's been frustrated by the franchise and the team's performance. I've been told by someone purporting to know him that he's tired of the endless ownership intrigue, of being saddled with a group of small-time pretenders, and of looking bad because of what's happened on the ice with the rosters he's had. How much of that is fact and how much is hearsay or opinion is anyone's guess, but there is a lot of circumstantial evidence that seems to lend weight to that assessment.

This all could be true, but he knew what was going on before he signed his deal. IF that is the way he feels it is not helping anyone for him to stay. I don't think money would be a factor for him as he would probably find a job elsewhere for close to the same money, but I guess there would be no guarantee there either.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Ask Ted Nolan what being part of a coup does to your job opportunities. He might not get many offers despite being a good coach for a veteran team.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
This all could be true, but he knew what was going on before he signed his deal. IF that is the way he feels it is not helping anyone for him to stay. I don't think money would be a factor for him as he would probably find a job elsewhere for close to the same money, but I guess there would be no guarantee there either.

Half a million dollars a year, guaranteed over five years, along with a standard of living in the East Valley that's pretty hard to top, is likely what is helping him cope with whatever frustrations he has with a team that simply cannot or will not be in a position to succeed on the ice until his deal expires.

If that scenario is what is actually playing out, then there is merit in asking whether that complacency translates to the locker room or not - whether a coach who presumably knows that he's settling can inspire hunger in a group of players facing long odds for success.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Half a million dollars a year, guaranteed over five years, along with a standard of living in the East Valley that's pretty hard to top, is likely what is helping him cope with whatever frustrations he has with a team that simply cannot or will not be in a position to succeed on the ice until his deal expires.

If that scenario is what is actually playing out, then there is merit in asking whether that complacency translates to the locker room or not - whether a coach who presumably knows that he's settling can inspire hunger in a group of players facing long odds for success.

Coaches, like players want to win, so I don't believe there is any complacency at all. In fact, I think this talk about DT and him being unhappy is just that, talk. These are how rumors get legs by someone saying they have friends who know someone who know someone that knows someone and on and on.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Coaches, like players want to win, so I don't believe there is any complacency at all.

The complacency comes in not going elsewhere where he knows he has a better shot to win than here. You [MOD] seem to believe that he could get a good gig with just about any team in the league if he so chose because of his quality - if that's the case, then why put up with a Mickey Mouse franchise like this one? A franchise that is annually on the cusp of relocating? A bunch of owners whose parsimony and ineptitude are reaching legendary proportions? A team filled with rookies who can't play the grind game he prefers? THAT is the complacency I am talking about. He still wants to win - of course he does, and you can see it in his eyes in every press conference he gives - but he's not going to do it here... at least, not in the short term.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
The complacency comes in not going elsewhere where he knows he has a better shot to win than here. You [MOD] seem to believe that he could get a good gig with just about any team in the league if he so chose because of his quality - if that's the case, then why put up with a Mickey Mouse franchise like this one? A franchise that is annually on the cusp of relocating? A bunch of owners whose parsimony and ineptitude are reaching legendary proportions? A team filled with rookies who can't play the grind game he prefers? THAT is the complacency I am talking about. He still wants to win - of course he does, and you can see it in his eyes in every press conference he gives - but he's not going to do it here... at least, not in the short term.

He knew exactly what kind of team we were going to have last year, regardless of who owned it. I put the rumor you and your friend started in the bull---- column.:)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Probably because those who continue to show blind loyalty to Tippett and our ownership refuse to admit that their position is wrong after those same people who aren't blind corrected them on their inaccurate information. People can have their own opinions but they can't have their own facts.

Probably because we see those who have shown full fledged support to Tippett call those who are objective towards Tippett "DT haters" all the while using "hater" and "haters" in a buzzword like fashion.

This is a matter of perspective and analysis of the Coyotes mess. This isn't a matter of objectivity vs blind loyalty. I get this, and certainly didn't mean to get Feckless all bent out of shape. I simply got tired of being labeled. None of us are mindless automatons who don't put any thought into our position. None of us are blind, nor are we haters. None of us are "acolytes". We see the same miserable on - ice product and reach different conclusions as to the causes.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
This is a matter of perspective and analysis of the Coyotes mess. This isn't a matter of objectivity vs blind loyalty. I get this, and certainly didn't mean to get Feckless all bent out of shape. I simply got tired of being labeled. None of us are mindless automatons who don't put any thought into our position. None of us are blind, nor are we haters. None of us are "acolytes". We see the same miserable on - ice product and reach different conclusions as to the causes.

I wish I can agree with you but as I read between the lines in any given discussion, I can tell who is who. Not to mention, whenever discussion of ownership and management comes up, quality tends to go down from the other kind of talk and shadiness goes up.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Hope everyone had fun...... because if you all can't discuss this subject any further without slinging poo at each other then we'll simply close it down permanently.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad